Bluffing requires a good opponent

This Fish Chums

This Fish Chums

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I know this may sound contradictory, but in order to bluff someone, they have to be a good enough player to be able to be bluffed. I've seen (and tried) a lot of times where someone puts out a bluff, a damn good bluff, but end up getting called and lose the hand. The problem ends up being the opponent is not good enough to see the possibilities on the board, or sees them but is not experienced enough to think anyone could have that hand. For example, let's say a bad player has AsAc and the flop comes 8h, 7h, 6h. So, you bluff the flush. Well, if it's a bad player they aren't going to acknowledge the possibility of there being a flush and will call the bluff regardless. Even if another heart or a 4th to a straight come, all the bad player can see is, "I have pocket aces, I'm calling all the way down." You simply can't bluff a bad player. Or if you can, let me know how.

nucl

nucl

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
That's not always the case.
You can bluff a rec player if you have exploit him. Contrariwise I believe is easier to bluff a bad player, and sometime get full value from them. The key is how much have you exploit him.

L

lokinet

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
to bluff a bad player i very difficult because they often stick to their hands wenn the hit even somthing small or they belive they will hit the draw on turn and river.

on the other hand they do not realise that they you also have anything. but in my opinon most bad players are affraid to get bluffed an stay in the pot

vitalicharniak

vitalicharniak

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
A constantly bluffing player is not dangerous, as it is easier to crack. A much more serious opponent is one who bluffs only from time to time, in which case it is very difficult to understand and evaluate his actions.
Bluff requires thoughtfulness, constant analysis of one's own game and the manner of opponents. For a good bluff, you need not only talent, the ability to think sharp and make quick decisions, but also the strong preparation of the player.

Andrew Popov

Andrew Popov

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Perhaps you overestimate the use of bluffing. In addition, you in any case do not know which card your opponent has. Why not assume that he has one of the aces of a suitable suit.

whiskers77

whiskers77

The art of purring
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
If a player is playing only with the cards, that he got dealt and not considering what the opponent could hold, it is really hard to bluff. Some people even say, don't try to bluff the fishes...

8bod8

8bod8

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In order to bluff successfully:
- the opponent must think you're credible
The problems:
- at the low stakes too many players keep puting chips in the pot
- when dealing with very good players: they may realise you're bluffing
Luckily, we normaly only face 1 problem at the time

H

Hondo

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
JonathanAReth
Aspiring Member

I believe that your observation has merit. Being reluctant to call anyone a "bad" player I believe it has more to do with inexperience or perhaps a lesser understanding of the game. Beginning players too easily get married to their hand which lends to them being 'calling stations'. But to reiterate what you say "Never try to bluff a bad player". Besides, there are many more ways to exploit these types of player that foregoing the bluffing tactic is no big deal.

:jd4:

rsimms

rsimms

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Definitely right. If you try to bluff a bad player, you become one. Most bad players are calling stations so it is no good to go after them with absolutely nothing and/or no way of improving. It is better to wait until you get a good hand and let them pay you off.

M

marakhovskii

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
yes, a good player sees all the options on the table, and it's easier to confuse with the right and reliable bluff :)

Dailon Arroyo Blandon

Dailon Arroyo Blandon

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CR
Chips
Bluffing a bad player is difficult because most of the time they will try to defend

their hands ... if they connect a small pair they will go to death with that pair ... it is

very clear that this type of players do not know the percentages of probabilities of

winning a hand and its relation to the size of the bet ...!

blueskies

blueskies

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you keep trying to bluff a calling station, you are the prob not him. You gotta know the type of villain you are up against, and adjust your play accordingly.

Peppinotom

Peppinotom

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
They call your bluff even with an Ace high, because:1. The Ace must come, villain had already decided this is his/her hand when the pocket cards were dealt, or even just before!!!

But there's plenty of fish, and a bluff must be well played, including readings, board and chipstacks, ICM in a Sit n'Go makes a difference to tournament ....

in cash games you never see me, because there's plenty of fish with more money than me :)

grumblbrumbl

grumblbrumbl

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree with your reasoning. Bluffing a poor player is almost impossible. Often a bad player is not even able to throw out a third pair, or even a fourth. I think a bad player needs to be bluffed with strong hands. Turn the top combination into a bluff. The only way.

T

titiduru

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I know this may sound contradictory, but in order to bluff someone, they have to be a good enough player to be able to be bluffed. I've seen (and tried) a lot of times where someone puts out a bluff, a damn good bluff, but end up getting called and lose the hand. The problem ends up being the opponent is not good enough to see the possibilities on the board, or sees them but is not experienced enough to think anyone could have that hand. For example, let's say a bad player has AsAc and the flop comes 8h, 7h, 6h. So, you bluff the flush. Well, if it's a bad player they aren't going to acknowledge the possibility of there being a flush and will call the bluff regardless. Even if another heart or a 4th to a straight come, all the bad player can see is, "I have pocket aces, I'm calling all the way down." You simply can't bluff a bad player. Or if you can, let me know how.

What you are describing is an unlikely case scenario. Most of the time when you get caught bluffing is because you did not bluff right, not because your opponent was not a good poker player. Bluffing is a story you are telling your opponent and it is your job and only your job to tailor that story so that your opponent understands it first, and then believes it. If all you are doing is looking at the board and raising trying to represent the nuts, then you are the bad player, not the people who are calling you. That is why you should try to bluff seldom, and choose carefully your bluffing spots.

R

Roger1960

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It is a lot easier to play against a good player. They know that sometimes they should fold. Phil Helmuth is one of the best still, because he folds, of course not all of the time. An inexperienced player doesn't know enough to know he is only drawing to a two outer. Even if they do know, they somehow think that it is an okay idea to blow all of their chips when they have little in the pot.

Peppinotom

Peppinotom

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What you are describing is an unlikely case scenario. Most of the time when you get caught bluffing is because you did not bluff right, not because your opponent was not a good poker player. Bluffing is a story you are telling your opponent and it is your job and only your job to tailor that story so that your opponent understands it first, and then believes it. If all you are doing is looking at the board and raising trying to represent the nuts, then you are the bad player, not the people who are calling you. That is why you should try to bluff seldom, and choose carefully your bluffing spots.

I couldn't have said it better. But that's not the point here. The fish doesn't speak your language, whatever you are trying to tell him.

BlackMamba

BlackMamba

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You should carefully monitor the players to know against whom you can use bluffing and what minute.

grogrich

grogrich

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
To make a bluff, you need to stay in a strategic place at table! and make a good bet like a lot of Blinds up the table.Good lucky