Bluffing at the wrong time

J

John bruce

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Being a tight aggressive player I go through many hands not getting what I want to start a hand. I accept that I will fold most cards pre flop and that my blinds are an easy target. Problem I'm having is I'm not good at bluffing. Better yet I'm not good at the moments I decide to bluff. Sometimes I don't think people know how to fold. Specially on free rolls, and micro stakes . I don't even try to bluff till middle stages of tourney.
As for the size of the bluff. I've always bluff about the same size as if I had a made hand so no one could know weather I'm bluffing or have a hand. Should I raise the bluff higher than normal or keep it like I do? Just seems like i get called most of the time. Almost want To remove it as a play because it's been so ineffective. I don't bluff much but it has become a leak for some reason.

MemphisGrind

MemphisGrind

Think Bink
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Being a tight aggressive player I go through many hands not getting what I want to start a hand. I accept that I will fold most cards pre flop and that my blinds are an easy target. Problem I'm having is I'm not good at bluffing. Better yet I'm not good at the moments I decide to bluff. Sometimes I don't think people know how to fold. Specially on free rolls, and micro stakes . I don't even try to bluff till middle stages of tourney.
As for the size of the bluff. I've always bluff about the same size as if I had a made hand so no one could know weather I'm bluffing or have a hand. Should I raise the bluff higher than normal or keep it like I do? Just seems like i get called most of the time. Almost want To remove it as a play because it's been so ineffective. I don't bluff much but it has become a leak for some reason.

Hey there,

You should def. keep bluffing as part of your arsenal. You just have to know your audience. If you're consistently playing free rolls or any table for that matter with the majority stations, then bluffing should not be part of your game for those instances.

I do similar to you as far as "how" I bluff, basically choose a line that I've been playing all night, one that has gone too showdown as a winning hand. Playing against anyone competent as to what is going on around them should see this, even most Level one thinkers will understand that this is a line they can't win against and will fold.

However, you run into VERY sticky players in low limits and freerolls players that WILL NOT be bluffed lol and that's OK. We will get plenty of value from these players. Play your hand face up against stations and their crazy notions of not letting a player bluff them will result in your constant gain on the table. Don't OVER value and chase away your customer, but do get max value.

One thing I can offer to you as "advice" per say, is that if you are confident with your range as is and don't want to expand on it, that's fine and I understand.

However, consider diving into post flop play, and by becoming a better post flop player you can widen you range slightly and have the same edge as you currently do with your tighter range. Use free rolls, and the broad array of players as practice against a different type of audience. Players that don't fold don't bluff, but players that are sticky, but still understand your line work on adding your bluffs in against these players.

I'll leave with this statement "YOU CAN'T BLUFF AN IDIOT" ;)

Good luck to you.

playinggameswithu

playinggameswithu

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm sticky as can be don't bluff me.

honorwar

honorwar

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
A bluff is a powerful tool against passsive players;but be careful with the experienced players that do slow play.

S

sheltowee420

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I find that the most successful bluff is a min-bet against players who show weakness. This looks like you hit something, and want them to call, so they don`t.

63burner

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Tight aggressive problems with bluffing..

Part of your lack of success while bluffing may be a tight aggressive approach. In that sense, you are often "holding back", being tight, looking for the perfect time to "pounce" and get aggressive.
Bluffing, you have to let go of the tightness; not all bluffs work. It may be you are too tight, looking for the perfect bluff, that always gets through. In tourneys or cash game, have a mindset, "I'll try some bluffs that I might not usually try; when a few get through, you'll see what does, doesn't work for you for bluffing.
You don't have to always go for the all-in hero bluff to get satisfaction. A few smaller bluffs early in tourney, where you can afford to lose, is good practice.
Position is important when bluffing. Position, as in, are there a lot of others at table who follow your bet?

And are you doing a lot of "air, nothing" bluffs, or bluffs, where you have at least a pair, and/or a straight or flush to draw to, which often scares opponents the most

shykarno

shykarno

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
bluff is best used rarely. but not all the time. the point is to confuse the enemy. if you are always bluffing the opponent will take this into account.

Joco413

Joco413

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Only bluff when there aren't many players with hands at the table.

Most of the time it's good to bluff when your opponent checks. They likely don't have anything so they will fold. Of course they could just hold a winner looking for bluffs or looking for something like a straight or flush in which case it's unlikely they fold unless you raise a considerable amount.

You have to learn to recognize why they call you. Once you do you will be able to read the game and know when to bluff and when to play it safe.

rafa77777

rafa77777

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Also rarely bluffing, although lately I increasingly notice for myself such an option, which is most surprising, in most cases it happens, which is good news

J

John bruce

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Bluffing

I appreciate the comments. It's been a tough transaction from brick and mortar to online. Live always seemed easier to get the bluffs through but I always played higher buy in. So people body language usually helped. As for online you try to notice timing and bets sizing but that's not as accurate as i thought. I do fear that being a winning online player is going to be one tough ride. But I'm willing to put in three hours so let's play poker.

1k95

1k95

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Do not bluff against weak players. Such players are also called "phones" or "answering machines." It’s impossible to bluff against such players, save your bluff for someone else. Why? They are not well versed in the game. They are more likely to call your bet than they fold.

scolopin77

scolopin77

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Keep it but...

You should keep at it but try to vary the bluff let say 3 different ways so you don't become predictable in your bluff. Plus, bluffing when there is many outs can be dangerous. Look at Memphis quote it is very real.:jd4:;):jd4:

tihomir_kula

tihomir_kula

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BG
Chips
I don t use bluff ,because lost bluff hand makes me sud and disordered for many days.

C

CallmeFloppy

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you are as tight as you say then you should see your bluffs work more often. Make sure that your bluffs not only make sense as far as size but in general betting patterns and play. If you suddenly fire off on a river representing a hand that your opponents know you would have bet on previous streets but didn't, it makes it easy to pick off.