Is bluffing a skill?

Y

Yunyi

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
after several times folding my winning hands I found bluff seems a necessary technique, which i am not quite good at.
So poker is not all about the probability, also cheating? Agree?

E

ekgbeat

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would say bluffing does take some talent. You need to know what your opponents hand looks like, what you can rep on certain streets, and get the bet sizing right. All of that takes a lot of talent to get it right.

Poker_Mike

Poker_Mike

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would say bluffing does take some talent. You need to know what your opponents hand looks like, what you can rep on certain streets, and get the bet sizing right. All of that takes a lot of talent to get it right.

I agree whole-heartedly with this post.

Bluffing is not profitable in the longterm.

But, if you pick your spots and can successfully bluff....say 2 out of 3 times....which is a lot...you should come out ahead.

You can't always bluff. Sometimes you should just surrender your hand to superior holdings.

Good luck !

maezma

maezma

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think if it is a talent if you know at what time and circumstances make use of this correctly. As our colleagues say, in the long term it is not profitable.

P

PickyBronco1

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Bluffing

Its good to play tight and bluff only when right

shinedown.45

shinedown.45

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
after several times folding my winning hands I found bluff seems a necessary technique, which i am not quite good at.
Bluffing is not cheating but more of a lie.
When you raise pre-flop, do you often follow up with a c-bet even when you don't hit the flop or do you check/fold?

Having the ability to read players and board texture makes bluffing easy, if you do it long enough, you won't even consider it bluffing
Do not try to bluff multiple opponents, bluffing works best against one maybe two opponents at most IMO.

You probably have seen some idiot bluff multiple players then show the bluff and it is that type of bluffing that is not profitable in the long run.

FIERROS

FIERROS

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You need talent to bluff and win big.

WiredKs

WiredKs

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
One of my biggest leaks is the blind steal, which is a form of bluffing. I'll pop a raise from the button and get called by one of the blinds. I'm checked to and I'll c-bet to try to pick it up and get called again. The blind checks the turn and at this point I'm half-committed to my story so I try one more time.

It doesn't matter if they call or raise, this is the point I realize I've done three streets of betting for them and I'm now somewhere around 10 bb in on a play that was designed to pick up an easy 1.5 bb. I've got less than ideal holdings because I was stealing and probably a tough decision or two to make.

“It happens every time” and each time I curse myself out for it.

63burner

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Pure bluffing is a real skill...

Stone cold, risk it all bluffing is a big time skill. Definitely an arrow in the quiver, when you want to rob the rich.

pdcactus1

pdcactus1

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Use it sparingly

Of course, bluffing is somewhat of a talent but I see far too many clueless players trying to use it way too often. The other day in a tournament later stages, I was the BIG and saw the flop cheap (He only min raise pre) I held:5h4::2s4: the flop was :4s4::ks4::3h4: I checked to a guy I had learned will always bet in last position if checked too and he plays a larger number of hands. He bet half the pot. I called turn came :kh4: I checked he bet half again I called. the pot was about 15,000 by now. The river was a blank :9c4: for me, (he probably had Q9, Ace9 os) I checked he bet about a 3rd of the pot I snap moved All-in for 39,000 more. He had about 20,000 left. He folded. At this time he begins to berate me saying "you play so bad if you would have paused before moving in I would have called you dummy." I laughed my butt off at him because of course I surely didn't want a call. I said, "oh dang you're too good for me." But him saying that means that my check calling then moving in on the river convinced him I was Strong. He continued crying until a few hands later he raised pre-flop I call with :5h4::5d4: again He and I are the only ones in the pot the flop comes :kd4::5s4::as4: I check with a set :5h4::5s4::5d4: He bets the pot which is about 8,000 so I tank run some extra time then go All- in for 60,000 more he snap calls with A K. as he is headed to the rail he's calling me out saying lets play for real money pick a table. I checked his stats he's losing $700 his chart looks like a ZZZ headed straight down down down. He showed some big wins but lots of big loses in between, telling me he has $2300 to put up. But anyway table image and knowing what and how you are perceived is important to pulling off regular bluffs in my opinion. As for the continuation bet after raising, usually, I'll check with strong holding and continue with say top pair weak kicker If I raise pre-flop with say KQ and an ACE hits and it checks to me being last to act I will continue if I hit or not. which will result in taking the pot right then or someone calling then I'll be hoping I hit some cards as it goes along but depending on my stack will decide how many stabs I take with weak holdings. And how my table image is at that time. Have I shown weaker holdings while betting ?? Have I only shown stronger holding in a showdown?? Win or lose keeping these things in mind and not being a bully type, always pushing, will help in pulling off a few bluffs at times. I only play tournaments so for cash game you'll have to ask someone else. lol.

:aetsch::sheep::aetsch::)

B

blata8ruga

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Bluffing is definitely an art. I think the key is setting up the bluff with past hands. It is all about the set up.

COMIRRR

COMIRRR

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
If you do not bluff from time to time, you are not a poker player. You need to know when to do it, against who, and for what stake.

T

TanaT

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Bluff is; cheat like a man, manipulate like a woman,but don't forget you're a child.
Do not forget where the boundary of bluffs from reality.

Y

Yunyi

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Of course, bluffing is somewhat of a talent but I see far too many clueless players trying to use it way too often. The other day in a tournament later stages, I was the BIG and saw the flop cheap (He only min raise pre) I held:5h4::2s4: the flop was :4s4::ks4::3h4: I checked to a guy I had learned will always bet in last position if checked too and he plays a larger number of hands. He bet half the pot. I called turn came :kh4: I checked he bet half again I called. the pot was about 15,000 by now. The river was a blank :9c4: for me, (he probably had Q9, Ace9 os) I checked he bet about a 3rd of the pot I snap moved All-in for 39,000 more. He had about 20,000 left. He folded. At this time he begins to berate me saying "you play so bad if you would have paused before moving in I would have called you dummy." I laughed my butt off at him because of course I surely didn't want a call. I said, "oh dang you're too good for me." But him saying that means that my check calling then moving in on the river convinced him I was Strong. He continued crying until a few hands later he raised pre-flop I call with :5h4::5d4: again He and I are the only ones in the pot the flop comes :kd4::5s4::as4: I check with a set :5h4::5s4::5d4: He bets the pot which is about 8,000 so I tank run some extra time then go All- in for 60,000 more he snap calls with A K. as he is headed to the rail he's calling me out saying lets play for real money pick a table. I checked his stats he's losing $700 his chart looks like a ZZZ headed straight down down down. He showed some big wins but lots of big loses in between, telling me he has $2300 to put up. But anyway table image and knowing what and how you are perceived is important to pulling off regular bluffs in my opinion. As for the continuation bet after raising, usually, I'll check with strong holding and continue with say top pair weak kicker If I raise pre-flop with say KQ and an ACE hits and it checks to me being last to act I will continue if I hit or not. which will result in taking the pot right then or someone calling then I'll be hoping I hit some cards as it goes along but depending on my stack will decide how many stabs I take with weak holdings. And how my table image is at that time. Have I shown weaker holdings while betting ?? Have I only shown stronger holding in a showdown?? Win or lose keeping these things in mind and not being a bully type, always pushing, will help in pulling off a few bluffs at times. I only play tournaments so for cash game you'll have to ask someone else. lol.

:aetsch::sheep::aetsch::)

very interesting and thanks for sharing! i play micro cash games and a couple of times i remember i defeated someone who bluffed all the time. but most of time i folded if my hands were too far fetched.
i found out stack is important. the tutorial told me never play with stack that is less than 75% of BB. i did not follow it and always spent minimum to buy in so i often felt tight.
yes, i think timing is important and being observant to other players also is crucial. poker is a game that requires multiple consideration. there's no one absolute answer for everything...

Y

Yunyi

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Bluff is; cheat like a man, manipulate like a woman,but don't forget you're a child.
Do not forget where the boundary of bluffs from reality.

very true! poker is indeed a grand mixture of humanity. lol

F

FrothyGoodness

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes , its a talent. Can people bluff without actually knowing how to? Of Course its part of the game but the ones that are the most successful are the ones that have talent and know the deep dark secrets of it. You have to know who you're playing against , if you're playing against a tight player it is very easy to bluff in a lot of spots, If you're playing a person with a wider range of hands it becomes a bit more difficult. What I find is people who are trying to bluff tend to Opposite their game a Lot …….For instance.....Guy plays strong hands always ….everytime during showdown hes quiet and menacing , not facial ticks no real movements just staring down at the cards ...everytime. Then all of a sudden BOOM in a showdown hand he's laid back chilled relaxed yapping up a storm …….why? It happens both ways someone can be chilled relaxed and giddy then all of a sudden they are quiet at showdown. Biggest mistake people who want to start bluffing make.

Y

Yunyi

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you do not bluff from time to time, you are not a poker player. You need to know when to do it, against who, and for what stake.

i remember i used to bluff a little and succeeded some. i tried to follow some tutorial in my recent playing so my playing style was way too tight, i guess.

very well. i don't cheat in life but at least let me learn how to do it in poker!

najjah166

najjah166

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
bluffing is part of poker, bluffing knowledge is an art, it takes a very subtle player because bluffing is not given to everyone many believe that bluffing is making big raise, it is based cards on the table, and depending on how the villain played and if he Cheke or not, bluffing is play on the psychology on the adverser based on cards dealt on the table, and especialy on the image for our play, TAG, mouse for exemple

Last edited:
TheRealPage

TheRealPage

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I see bluffing more like a long time plan to execute around twice in a game.. I can't just decide "oh, ok I bluff there!".. 99% of the time, it fails.. but if I plan my bluff (the plan can start at the first hand of the game for a bluff 10-20-30 hand later) it will work more then half the time.

Bluffing is part of the game.. reading your opponents hands to bet and stole a pot, that's another part ok poker that helps to bluff!

-TRP-

B1731898

B1731898

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I still have a lot to learn, but I don't bluff as much as most I believe. I enjoy reading these posts, maybe I'll pick up something useful.

hachile1

hachile1

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

it's a talent when you'll know what time you're playing with and what opponent will do it. There are players who follow everything down to the river but the bluff is powerful it is part of the techniques to win

ClickPoker

ClickPoker

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If my friend, the odds are basically the theory. When we study in the university they teach us how much theory, when we go to the field of work we apply very little.
The odds are your tool. The one that you should never let go, but it's about time that you start to cultivate with that of the angaño, taking risks from time to time would not hurt you and above all read your opponents

gillbates21

gillbates21

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
EE
Chips
in a 10 player SnG, 1st hand, 5 players go all-in... is someone bluffing?

are these pre-flop all-ins even technically bluffs, or does all the bluffing take place post-flop?

D

Drogba_Legend

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Absolutely. I think you can't do random bluff successfully in the long run. In my opinion, you have to know when exactly you can bluff and how.

But I would say it's not a talent - it's skill.