Bluff

blackdevil724

blackdevil724

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
Is it possible to bluff on freeroll tournaments?? I am getting called 90% off times with third pair!! It looks if it is for free people just spash their chips...what do you think??

T

Tosh_67

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Lot's of posts on the subject here...

bluffing in a Freeroll is incredibly difficult... My biggest fear is making standard raises results in constantly facing allins !

Getting called with third pair ? I'm not sure I follow... If they have Top or middle pair they are not bluffing... neither is betting with 3rd pair a bluff in itself...

Anyway, freerolls are a minefield... If you can negotiate them and place ITM or better then start plying your skills at higher stakes where it is less frenetic and you can bluff !... or be bluffed !!

drapichrust

drapichrust

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
offcourse, but you better have to wait first 1-2 hours when all maniac throws all-ins,
therre is also good time to bluff just before cash sits when everybody plays carefully

horizon12

horizon12

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You should never bluff in the early or middle stages of a freeroll tournament because the players in these things are so loose that it’s just a waste of chips.

G

gklcap

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Is it possible to bluff on freeroll tournaments?? I am getting called 90% off times with third pair!! It looks if it is for free people just spash their chips...what do you think??

It is definitely possible to bluff in freerolls but like everything else in poker, you should only be doing it under the right circumstances. If it's a multiway pot, bluffing is definitely a bad idea because at least one of them is going to call you, more often than not. If you choose to bluff in a multiway pot, then your best shot is to just shove because if you make a standard raise or re-raise they will call you a lot of the time. If the action is heads-up, then I think you can and should add bluffs into your game. I triple-barrel a lot in freerolls. Mind you, this only works if you and the villain are fairly deep. The key is to size your flop and turn bets in such a way that you have a good portion of your stack left behind. Again, it is definitely situation dependent.
For e.g-Most freeroll donks will call your bluff with A high on a J high board because well, they have an overcard and might luck out. However, if the turn and river don't bring an ace, they are likely to fold that hand.

W

Weissr

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
No huge reason really to bluff much in open freerolls.... Better to just play your value hands, especially early on.

D

Denilson Jr

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It depends ..

I think any bluf needs to be thought out and analyzed according to the players at the table , it's hard Diser whether it is worth or not without this information in hand

PapaC

PapaC

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Not only in freerolls, but some players will call you all the way with only one small pair. It can be done, but bluffing in freerolls and low buy in tournys is very hard. If you are not used to it, I would say not to bluff at all in them. But if you do, you need to pick your spots carefully. Try to get a fill for the players at your table. GL to you

S

somersetlad9

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Bluffing in freerolls or low buyin Mtt's are not recommended. Because essentially there is no much value in terms of the tournements, players generally play them much looser and if they get knocked out quickly, they can move onto the next 1 soon knowing they have not lost money.
Most freerollers will call your bluff with King high on a low board because they have 2 overs and might luck out.

H

hffjd2000

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Bluffing at freerolls is bad because people will tend to call you down even with middle pair.

At the end phase though, strategy changes.

shpilia

shpilia

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well, actually it is very difficult to bluff freeroll because the fish that plays a lot, in fact more likely to hit Allin!
Well, it all depends on the position of the table, how many players have come to you in the game, and what their statistics on Hold'em Manager. Still, if you feel you can play and have a good stack!

C

colacho

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In these tournaments often lose with good hands because it costs them nothing to see the cards , then many times are favored with the cards that are dealt on the table! when in fact they are cards to fold. So it is not good bluff most of the time

therealslomo

therealslomo

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Possible? Yes, just not early on. You will have to wait it out a bit and let the push and pray peeps fall to the wayside first.

N

nygmen2007

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think with bluffing anywhere there has to be an image that you hold, and yes anyone can be bluffed in any setting.. although it is harder to do in the freeroll, but as long its called gambling anything can happen..

M

Mug

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In freerolls, especially ones like the $10 on demand, it is best not to take a bluff beyond a continuation bet early in the tourney. Loose players will call with absolutely anything. Occasionally opportunities will present themselves with pots where nobody wants to claim it after the turn and you are in late position. These are the best opportunities to bluff through the early and mid stages.

Once the field dwindles down in the late stages and there is more disparity between chip stacks bluffing will become a necessity. Otherwise, everyone at the table will read you like a book. Before bluffing, just make sure the situation makes sense. Know what you are representing, and have a good idea of what your opponents may have and if it is possible to push that person off a better hand in the first place.