blew bankroll.

R

RSdavid46

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Dont start at me as i know you most likely will.

I've had a good streak managed to turn 40$ into 170$ and i wanted to stop playing as i knew how it will end.Yet once again, for the second time in a row when i make some real cash i got a decent hand UTG.

AKsuited got AK2 on the flop so i bet guy raised me i shoved he called turned out he had KK.

I just cant believe it for the second time in a row when i double/triple up i play that final hand and blow my br.

R

RSdavid46

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
played 100NL i know i didn't have enough bankroll to play but i had spare 40$ so i decided to give NL100 a try got lucky twice then got a bad beat.

I heard someone saying that 3bb/100hands is sometimes hard to make (does that mean 3big blinds per 100 hands) ?

I was 30$ short to be rolled for 5NL (200 would give me 40$) yet i wanted that 30$ so hard it made me lose.

if playing NL100 whats a good daily profit that could be made? I'm not intending to play it i will try nl2 again but i want to know how much to earn since it has happened to me a couple of times that i set myself a target for example 10$ profit in a day and when im 1-2$ short i usually fall back another 10$ then win it back but i just can never get that final couple of dollars to get my target.

I think the main problem is me setting the target but how else do i know when to stop?

jordanbillie

jordanbillie

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
What about this story shocks you? Sitting with 100% of your roll is an obvious recipe for disaster.

R

RSdavid46

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
jordanbillie - i know that theres no way of getting away when playing with 100% of your bankroll but my point is to learn when to stop even when playing lower stakes?

for example a couple of weeks earlier i was rolled for the 2NL but i kept setting myself 10$ daily limits and i just couldn't reach it and this made me play longer and longer and try harder and at the end of the day i ended up with 0 profit 0 loss anyway which after a couple of days/weeks got boring and made me move up

Arjonius

Arjonius

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Seeing as you're not even rolled for 5NL, why are you looking at how much someone can make at 100NL? Note that when I say someone, I'm not referring to you, not just because of your roll but also because being a consistent winner at that level almost certainly requires more self-discipline than you seem to be able to muster.

R

RSdavid46

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i just gave an example. then for nl2 how much is an average profit?

micromachine

micromachine

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You've been given plenty of good advice about bankroll management in other threads already

micromachine

micromachine

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
and daily profit targets won't work, think long-term like over 50k+ hands.

OMGITSOVER9K

OMGITSOVER9K

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
How can one hand blow your bankroll?

and why play 100nl with $40 when pretty much every post on this forum says buy in 100bb deep if you have an edge.

'don't start on me' tbh idc, I just dunno what reaction you expected when you posted this thread.

will never get how people blow their br.

H

hawtshawt420

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Try setting a time or hand limit instead of a profit point.

Just say you set it to double your BI. (2nl - your goal is to win 2 bucks) If you don't win 2 bucks you'll keep playing until you lose you BI (or get that goal of course) but if you set an limit of say an hour at this table and play for an hour same table and when that hour is up your at 3.15 well you just profited 1.15 which is better than down 2. even if your down to say 1.15 ok you lost .85 but you didn't lose 2.

you can still lose the whole buy in obviously or you can triple it or win way more than your goal.

alaskabill

alaskabill

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Honestly it sounds like your hopeless but I'll give it a shot. Quit worrying about how much profit you can expect. Results can vary widely day to day even for good players and I would bet a fair sum that you don't qualify for that description. Focus on playing well and the profits will come.

As for bankroll management, you might try Chris Ferguson's system. Chris is a scumbag but his system works. Here is a link to an article about it.

http://www.realmoneypokertips.com/bankroll-management/chris-ferguson-bankroll-management-guide.html

Also here is a link to a free tool that will do the math for you and let you apply the system without having to do math on your own.

http://www.thepokerbank.com/tools/pokerbank/fergulator/

These tools will work for you but only if you use them. No article, piece of software, or anything else can help you if you insist on doing self destructive things and you won't find a shoulder to cry on here if you insist on playing 100 NL with your whole bankroll.

Good luck.

H

hawtshawt420

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
And I also didn't really like the playing the UTG hand with it set in your head "you already know whats going to happen." I know it maximizes your blinds' value if your last hand is UTG but if your not wanting to play and have a negative view of the hand before it's even dealt why play it? ok, you may be able to pick up a little change if the hand is ok-good but you will be out of position, with a bad attitude toward the hand. Is the blind really that valuable that not only risk losing all your profit but your stack as well?

Reptar7

Reptar7

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Play at least 20 Buy Ins deep at all times.

R

RSdavid46

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I already saw chris fergusons br management and i tried to play like that. I'll give poker 1 more shot. Since i have too much free time, ill set my limit to 1 buy in profit rather than a time limit. For example on 2NL ill make it 2$ or play 1-2hours max at a time.

alaskabill

alaskabill

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I already saw chris fergusons br management and i tried to play like that. I'll give poker 1 more shot. Since i have too much free time, ill set my limit to 1 buy in profit rather than a time limit. For example on 2NL ill make it 2$ or play 1-2hours max at a time.

What do you mean you tried to play like that? Its not something you really have to "try". Do it or don't do it. Its not like there is anything stopping you. Good luck to you I guess but I don't really think you actually want any help. I think you're just going to keep taking shots and losing money. People have told you how to manage a bankroll and you just don't want to do it. If you keep doing something the wrong way than you really can't complain when you don't get the results that you want.

C

Cdub512

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Putting your whole bankroll in on a cash game is so bad. Heck putting it all on 1 game (unless your br is super small) is awful. I'm sorry but unless you didn't care about the money, you should practice bankroll management.

B

Big_Rudy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
OP is broke.....again......SHOCKING.:eek:

M

mcbluffin311

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This has to be the oddest level ever. And I would think a good 2NL average profit is about $35k annually, minimum.

B

BlueNowhere

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't even believe OP. He is a troll that should've been banned already. He admitted as much on his other thread that he had just been bullshitting and I don't believe this one will be any different.

shinedown.45

shinedown.45

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
2 weeks ago I had unprotected sex with a prostitute, went to the clinic and had been diagnosed with herpes, so now I'm gonna go out and get drunk and have unprotected sex with another prostitute and if I catch another STD, I won't stop, because I like risking it all, I'm a trooper.

Johniblayze

Johniblayze

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If op isn't bsing, why are you setting daily numbers for yourself. Thinking so near cited will only limit your goals. Start thinking in the long term. Playing poker isn't about making x number of dollars in a day or a week, you want to think long term. Your going to have winning days, losing days & days where you break even. Over time tho, if you have an edge over your opps. in the stakes you play you will make the money.

Right now I'm playin HU hyper sng's not cash, so my advice may not be the best 4 u. Having said that I would suggest you set yourself a monthly goal that at the end of the month I want to have x number of buy ins or I want to be playing at the next level of stakes.

Anyways gl luck 2 u man I wish u well.

1 thing to add, focus on playing poker right now, not on making money. In the short term just make positive ev plays and in the long term the money will take care of itself.

Last edited:
P

persistance

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Take some advice from a seasoned pro at losing bankrolls. Either accept over the course of the next 6 years you'll likely lose 15k$+ playing nothing more than 100nl and below, or deposit 100 buyins for a stake you can afford to play and dont move up until you have 100 buyins for the next level. I wish I'd taken this advice 5 yrs ago. Yeah it's nitty brm but it'll mean you'll never deposit again.

Anyway good luck.

MTTGOD57

MTTGOD57

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What do you mean you tried to play like that? Its not something you really have to "try". Do it or don't do it. Its not like there is anything stopping you. Good luck to you I guess but I don't really think you actually want any help. I think you're just going to keep taking shots and losing money. People have told you how to manage a bankroll and you just don't want to do it. If you keep doing something the wrong way than you really can't complain when you don't get the results that you want.

I really think chris gets so much hate for something he had little control over.

Bankroll Building - Bankroll Management