Betting on the turn

Patoamz95

Patoamz95

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello people, I wanted to make a question and give you your opinion, it is mostly about the bets on the turn when we have flush or open flush projects. It is profitable to overbet to force the opponent to fold or only to check call in case of being OOP or check behind in case of being IP, what do you think?

C

crazycitizen

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think this is where perceived range is important.
As an oversimplification:
If you are the pre-flop aggressor you're perceived range is higher, so if you flop a flush draw on 2Q8 board, bet and get called. Turn is K, you can continue betting this, as your range contains more AA AK KQ KK QQ AQ etc etc.
But if you are the pre-flop aggressor flopping a flush draw on 679 board, bet and get called, turn is a T, this board favours your opponents range, and you may be better off check-calling (with good odds), or check-check if IP.

If you are not the preflop aggressor; boards like 2Q8K you can be check-raising on the flop sometimes, sometimes check-raising turn, but check-calling twice is a bit bad, better you fold than call imo.
If you are not the preflop aggressor: boards like 679T are better for your range. So donk-betting, check-raising on flop and/or turn should be more appropriate.

You also have to consider if your hand has showdown value, if so, checking is good.
Also it is opponent dependant, no point betting vs a calling station with draws. And overly-aggressive opponents can check-raise you off your draws.

That's my perspective.
Hope that helps!

danoscar

danoscar

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello. Crazycitizen, that is a help for me as well. Thankyou.
Dan'O

Z

zerosalex

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It depends on the situation and opponent but for the most part you want to mainly always be the aggressor in a way so they don't try to bluff you, but those hands, when you are waiting for a flush bet small, act like you have top pair, that way they don't try to bluff you or make you pay a lot to see the turn and river. and if you miss you can always try to bluff and they will fold depending if you play the hand right or not. If they raise you then they have something so play carefully.

Swat1197

Swat1197

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Every solution is used, just check the situation

Juan Oro

Juan Oro

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello people, I wanted to make a question and give you your opinion, it is mostly about the bets on the turn when we have flush or open flush projects. It is profitable to overbet to force the opponent to fold or only to check call in case of being OOP or check behind in case of being IP, what do you think?
I like to semi bluff depending on my stack and What type of player am I facing, if he is a weak player I do it almost always, but if he is an aggressive player I only call because he can go all in on the turn, if he is a tight regular player I reraise him a little and evaluate in the river if I complete my project and if I do not succeed I make a small bet to see if he managed to take the pot against a tight player.

P

pvenditto88

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Everything is situation dependent......

K

korbal29

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
depends of my position and my hand: if I have say flush draw with like 2 over cards I keep betting because even if I am raised I have potential to win even if I dont hit my flush but did hit my overcard because it can be good enough to win

Jon Poker

Jon Poker

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
its already been said- but turns are generally very situationally dependent -- the only solution is to go through tons of different scenarios regularly and you will start to see certain patterns that coinside with certain ranges. Thats how turn play works in a nut shell - sort of the same concept when we are deciding whether to cbet the flop or not. There are general rules of thumb that may/may not be the most optimal like not cbetting many super connected boards, or not cbetting many low cards boards vs a BB defend, etc-- but what it comes down to is playing these scenarios countless times, looking over them and developing a feel for the correct moves.

R

ROYALROAD

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Surprisingly, there are a lot of factors which should be considered.

C

capo1014

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The turn

If you are pat and there is no possible way to lose push push push do not go all in I repeat do not go all in. Put the onus on the other players, this is a win win for you. I have seen too many times you go all in and scare everyone away, let the bluffers keep on bluffing and reap your rewards/ROI good luck and may the cards be with you. Capo1014

Related Betting Guides: CA Betting - AU Betting - UK Betting - SportsBetting Poker - BetStars