Betting on the River

Debi

Debi

Forum Admin
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The last bet you can make to try to win a hand is on the river. Even when you have the nuts you still have to carefully consider the size of the bet to get the most chips you can from your opponent.

What if you have nothing - when should you bluff?

Read this article and let's discuss bluffing:

Betting on the River

T

Toodlesnot

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Good article to freshen up some things.

From the article:
A worse hand will not call here, and a better hand will not fold.

That is the mostly the question to answer obviously. What kind of hands will call, and which hands will fold.

Of course, your own hand doesn't matter in many cases, especially when you bluff. Where to put your opponent, following the events from preflop to after the river. Is there any chance that there will not be a call on your bluff.

Martin Carreira

Martin Carreira

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Very good article and very interesting. We will have to play and put it into practice haha

F

freestocks

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I know the worst bluff on the river is after only calling on each street.

I often check the river with a winner when I could get a value bet.

Luvart

Luvart

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
The river is the street where the most money are being played.

Also is the street where experienced players throw carefully selected thin value bets. This is a skill that needs a lot of time to get good with it. When there have been calls during the previous streets, it's when the most difficulty comes. Villain definitely has something, so whether of not you have to bet the river is a decison that needs plenty of thought.

Some bluffs from time to time are ok, but of course versus the right opponents.

sryulaw

sryulaw

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I take into account the stack of opponents chips left behind, and I see when my stack can hurt his.
Another thing is the positions, try to bluff the UTG being at the end of the table, and with a board totally in his range, it does not make much sense to bluff him .. since the UTG has the strong range, and if the flop, turn has the top of the range, if I'm not nuts I can not try to pass a bluff because most of the time it will not happen ..

Now button against Big and Small, to bluff enough if you have a balance of value and bluff, then betting on the river often makes them quit ..

In the article talks about heads-up, on that board that is there, I do not bet, because I do not see much sense ... even more if it's a heads-up .. I'm going to check or fold.

Edgerik

Edgerik

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
Interesting, it is always good to learn or refresh tips, to improve our game.

Edison A

Edison A

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
There is a saying in the poker world that says: tell me how much you are going to bet on the river and I will tell you what you have, there are many reasons why you bet on the river, the most common reason is the continuation bet or try to buy a letter as cheap as possible when your cards are projected to a good hand, or also one of the most common reasons is to make Bluff

acidburnfx

acidburnfx

Senior apprentice
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
It depends a lot of the type of player that you are currently facing, stage, your capacity, all elements are taken into consideration so that you can make the best possible decision.

S

Salavat Kozhakhmetov

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
river one of the most nervous and exciting moments in the game,when you have the nuts on the river main to profit correctly marked,but bluffing on the river is a very bad idea I think you need to check if you have a very weak card!

bablovod

bablovod

stupid parody of the game
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
RU
Chips
playing on the river in my opinion is really the most difficult part of the post-flop, especially if the enemy shows a very strong aggression. I do not have the ability to compare such moments with the same hands. I rely mainly on the strength of my hand. if I don't make the flop, I almost always fold. I can't even properly discuss such a topic.

Ventoman777

Ventoman777

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ideally, you should have one opponent in which you will bluff.
In order to succeed against a thinking opponent, your bluff bet needs to tell him a plausible story that you have a really strong hand that he would believe.

M

M13A13

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The bet on the river is very important, be it by the tactics of the blefer, be it to protect your chips or to raise the pot.
The important thing is to make wisdom and experience, even if the goal is always a victory and never a defeat.
In my poker I try to know my sense and my betting strategy.

uros1991

uros1991

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well i think that no matter how much you read about strategy of poker,if you can't read you opponent you are in god position to lose.. River is card where you calculate all information that you menage to get and decide...You can easy bluff if you show psychics to ur opponent that you have monster even if he is having strong hand,it is all up to you...Many pro players folded best hand just because opponent acted to relaxed when they made bet and if you add some talk result will show it self :D

chicopaw

chicopaw

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Continued betting to the river ?? usually i will have a made hand , I take alot of notice of the players stack and most important their playing style, if i get reraised and know the player its an easy fold, Chalk it up and proceed, Most hands ive played reaching the river doesnt include many bluffs from others at the tables

hugh blair

hugh blair

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
River bets have to be adapted to the hand you hold tendancies of opponents am a devil for jamming with nothing even a missed draw if scare card falls and value in pot and think opponent likely to fold because they checked.:evil:

A

ashley8276

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
betting the river

I always bet the river card especially if I have like 2 pair or trips
I think it gets a lot of value out of your money.
see what others think.

niphon56

niphon56

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The river is the best time to bluff, especially have a opportunity to get straights or flushes. The bluffer always all-in at this time.

To call or fold I depend on players、stages and stacks.

If it's near bubble i fold.

BentleyBoy

BentleyBoy

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Another great article. Thanks CardsChat.

I agree with the sentiment and advice in the article and that it is amateur of understanding what you and your opponent(s) have done to that point in the game to assist you to make a decision whether to bet and if so, by how much or how little.

The temptation I find on the river is to make the opponent pay to see what is there. This has to balanced against what I replay have and whether i can bluff or not. This is why concentration on actions to the river is vital. It is pretty useless to just bet to make them pay as they may well have a better hand. The one risk you need to guard against when betting on the river is being raised. Always have plan for this and make sure your play seeks to prevent this, unless you are happy to re-raise!

whiskers77

whiskers77

The art of purring
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
In my opinion it is always important on the river to know against whom you are playing. If you are playing against someone nitty and the board looks kinda drawable, it is nice to bluff somehow. But not against someone who will call you until showdown.
And it is absolutely right, that you should ask yourself who will be calling your bet.
If only better will call, it is like a hit in the air. Often it is just not necessary to bet, because only better one will call you and you will loose more chips.
But if you realize an opponent who wants to see your hand, just bet not too much when you are holding the nuts, so that he is willing to call. There are often enough people who try to uncover some kind of bluff.

ammje

ammje

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thanks for the article is very good, it is always good to learn something more every day.
Lanterns do not always win, sometimes lose, but that even that is good because on the next play, have a good game, and often get paid, they do not know if they 're bluffing or not.

copycutpaste

copycutpaste

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Good Article...never heard of the phrase Value Owning Yourself....but it makes since...I find more value comes from flop and turn than river...the river can kill though...My advise BLUFF BIG lol...

Andrew Popov

Andrew Popov

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The river is the best time to bluff, especially have a opportunity to get straights or flushes. The bluffer always all-in at this time.

To call or fold I depend on players、stages and stacks.

If it's near bubble i fold.

Perhaps that I agree with this opinion. The river has no ready-made solutions. This is what poker really is - you can have ready-made charts preflop. Your actions on the flop are most often dictated by the actions of players on the first street. But the river is the final decision when all the cards are on the table.

To make the right decision, you must take into account many different factors (there are many more if you are playing a tournament, not a cash game). And most importantly - you must understand the thoughts of the villain. If you understand well what and how he thinks - your pocket ones become unimportant. If you understand what he has - you can bluff without having any hand, or vice versa - you should throw away even with a good combination. River is the time to understand the villain.

Vorem

Vorem

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
River is the most expensive street, you need to be very careful on the river. You can not make rash bets. Recently, I try to apply various actions on the river, depending on the situation.
Eg, Sometimes, out of position (OOP), It is very good to use Donk-bet on a small size if we want a cheap showdown

Bricxjo

Bricxjo

Just some happy guy
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
If I am in the hand at the river, I usually have a good hand. So most of the time, for me; it is a decision of value bet, trap or maybe overbet hoping they will think I am bluffing. I suppose frequently, I don't get the additional call when I have the nuts.

Related Betting Guides: CA Betting - AU Betting - UK Betting - SportsBetting Poker - BetStars