Best way to learn poker

veritasi

veritasi

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
How do you think, what is the best way to learn poker? many poker professionals and famos poker commentators said that nowdays poker books is outdated and best way is watching different guides and poker games. What is your opinion about it?

W

williamsc99

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
videos and articles about poker on the internet, besides watching tournaments

John Turnner

John Turnner

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Just like everyone else. Study the game, study opponents, study professional players, work with poker soft and don’t hope that you will become POKERPRO in one year...
Believe in yourself and your business.:cool:

terryk

terryk

TheCanuckwithalltheluck
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Watching,,,,and trust what your eyes are telling you. ;)

C

cardchamp22

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
On Youtube you can find many players the commentate themselves while playing (such as tonkaa or doug polk).

I would also recommend to try Poker trainer Apps such as "Poker-Fighter".

Good luck!

tauri103

tauri103

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
personally I think the best way to improve your game quickly is to watch poker professional videos especially in big events and to get inspired.I like to watch shows like in the head of a pro because players take the time to explain and comment on their games. However, the more you practice and the more you learn from your mistakes, in poker you have to continually question yourself in order to recognize your mistakes in an objective way and thus be able to remedy and continue to progress.

ACESOVEREZZZ

ACESOVEREZZZ

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Learning

Watching the pros and the many video's that are out there on the internet for sure would be a starting point. Although many of the books that are out there are old, depending on how much you already know about the game these as well could be a benefit.

As they say practice makes perfect -- thus play as much as you can and during so make notes on you wins and lost hands.

Best advice is have patience-- becoming an efficient player takes time dedication , drive and desire. What you put into the game = what you might get out of it!

Good luck !
;)

J

Joe1

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yes that's right! I also have a lot more to learn by watching tournaments with up cards, so you could different moves Bluffs calls variant, seen from Pros .I think of learning in general is not getting enough in poker, you always learn to

Ropa

Ropa

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Experience, experience and one more time experience is your best teacher. Ofcourse you can watch poker streams and look up guides. Even books help tho if you are interested in them. If you wanna learn poker etc, you could even play with play money or only freerolls until you get better to play with your own money.

JBGoode

JBGoode

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Subscribe to services like Upswing, DN's Master class, Raise Your Edge, ect.... and find a coach.... almost all the top streamers offer some sort of coaching to thier communities with weekly hand reviews.... yea it cost money, but if you want to stay ahead of the game it's what you need to have.

shykarno

shykarno

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
play practice and gain experience. I learned the rules, but I did not play enough, and I began to read a book and understood little of this book because there was little experience in the game.

kowrip

kowrip

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Nothing beats experience, but poker books are still very valuable. I've read "The Theory of Poker" by David Sklansky, "Decide To Play Great Poker" by Annie Duke and I'm currently reading "Harrington on Hold 'Em". All 3 are excellent books and I'm sure you'll gain some valuable knowledge from any of these books. Experience is really going to be the best teacher because every game is completely different and you really have to experience as many of the different situations as possible. You might even play a few times and think that you have it all figured out, but then you play in a completely different environment and get crushed. You must not only understand all of the basics, but must be able to adjust your play to the specific game you are playing. Watching TV/videos can be helpful, but can also distort your view on the game. Many of the shows only show the more interesting hands, which can make you believe certain outcomes happen more frequently than they really do. I always really liked watching "High Stakes Poker" and WPT because Gabe Kaplan and Mike Sexton both do a good job of explaining the situation as it develops.

5pAce_C0wb0y

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yes some poker books are outraged in terms of strategy, bet sizing etc. But they are still a very valuable resource for getting a base knowledge of strategy and odds etc. Plenty of free content around the web but you need to be selective in what you use some of its tripe. However the most valuable lessons will come from playing and studying your own game. Looking back at hand histories and realising that all in call you made actually only had 2 outs and that's why you lost will improve your game no end. The more you study your game the easier you'll find it and as you get more understanding of the game from books, web articles, videos and watching tournies the more detailed you'll become in your own analysis. My top tip is you can read and watch as much strategy as you like but if you don't study your own game to apply your new knowledge too your basically wasting your time. If you want help with getting started with studying your game I'm more than happy to assist.

M

mioou2011

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
for me, it's beginning from the video on youtube for a sometimes of course, and after that, I played online how much I played; my game is going better and better besides I know this; how much u learn and think there is nothing to learn ur wrong poker is a long lifetime game not one night

S

snaiper82

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
to start playing poker first of all you need to read books on poker the most important thing is to have poker software to play bankroll

M

Mikeloti13

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
First learn as much as you can about the basics. Then go and learn on your own but slowly. As you proggress go and learn finesses of poker. You can do that through watching great players, some videos, articles. And after that its everything about learning by yourself and on your mistakes. Thats how you develop your own game

C

CallmeFloppy

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think videos are the best way to go. You can see how a hand plays out and get the details of how and why things happen. If you miss it, rewind and do it again.

Tunkki

Tunkki

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Videos and talking with other good players works for me

cese1962

cese1962

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I feel discouraged about playing tournaments at 888Poker with low or free buy-ins. Players don't take anything seriously and end up more by luck than trying to find a strategy.
In many cases they eliminate better players but they fall ahead.
I see that you could use these changes to learn and improve.
Everyone would win and have more and more games with strategies and studies to play with more pleasure.

Thanks!
Celso Segovia
Porto Alegre, RS - brazil

A fox 666

A fox 666

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Poker books have long ceased to be a tool for improving poker skills. Poker is constantly being improved, something new appears every year. In order for poker books to be of any value, they must be written and published at least once every half a year Therefore, in our time, the basis for improving the level of your game is only practice and daily analysis of tournaments played and distributions in the cache.

V

vittopio

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think it is not necessary to watch a lot of videos (especially since different authors) It is necessary to play more and develop your style of play! And of course the communication on the forum!

jordanbillie

jordanbillie

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
How do you think, what is the best way to learn poker? many poker professionals and famos poker commentators said that nowdays poker books is outdated and best way is watching different guides and poker games. What is your opinion about it?

Good books are never outdated, which applies to all genres of books. If you read poker books you will find many concepts and philosophies that you can apply and alter to your style/table conditions.

The best way to learn poker is by following the learning process that feels natural and fun to you. Learning poker is like learning piano, there is no single way that works for all, and when you try to learn in a generalized way it is boring and you don't end up improving very much.

P.S. I found studying jazz improvisation as my secret for falling in love with studying/practicing music/piano. :rock:

P

possle

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Learning Basics in Free Tutorials
Starting with micro buy ins and then PLAYING , REFLECTION HANDS/SESSIONS , PLAYING and so on....

Best learning with self played hands and situations !!!

RVTR7777

RVTR7777

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Best way to learn poker?

Reading good poker books certainly helps, but I don't think that's all, you should study some concepts and try to put them into practice, watching video tournaments helps a lot.

TheDude6622

TheDude6622

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Watching both tournaments and cash games, watching with friends and discussing different strategies, ask questions on here about different situations, and start with small stakes online and live to get your feet wet.