Best time to buy in to Tournaments?

S

SkilsToPayBils

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello all,

I've been playing microstake tournaments but wondered if there was an optimal time to buy in. Obviously, the longer you're in the bigger you can build your stack but on the other hand you'll have more opportunities to get stacked yourself. Tournaments must be played aggressivelying after all...

Thoughts?

Last edited:
Iryna Stryzheuskaya

Iryna Stryzheuskaya

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
It's better to play at a time when you can show your best game.

J

Jaserx

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I’m sorry but mtts you have to run good for a cash.. but you want a time in which you can run best.. no such thing

Think like this does my game get luckier with less BB? Late reg an online mtt is only good if you have a clear edge over the field .. look at the pros only one comes to mind Phil Hellmuth other than that most pros come near on time with multiple buyins

M

mayoroftittycity

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I like to buy in as early as possible. It seems like a lot of players like to late reg which is fair especially in those insane 6+hour late regs. It can be frustrating to be down 20% of your starting stack three hours in and see someone who just bought in have a bigger stack than you but you have to consider your opportunities and how much more you know about the table from choosing to buy in earlier.

D

danielcai

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Buying in earlier makes you have more opportunities to get a premier hand and pissposs profit from it, so I think buying in as earlier as possible is the best .Unless it's a crazy long tournament with long time of registration and you think that you might not perform that well getting exhuadexh by the long duration of game, then I think late registration is OK.

8bod8

8bod8

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
According to the math, play from the start.
In case of freerolls, this is different, sometimes you can get much bigger $/hr results when registering late.

Lena M

Lena M

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Hello.
I play poker every evening after work. In my opinion, it is better to wait patiently for good cards and try to use the situation 100%. Personally, I do not like to play aggressively.

M

Mikeloti13

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
At the start of the tournament. I dont really like late registration. I need my time to learn my opponents and also have more time to build my stack up.

Jon Poker

Jon Poker

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Sometimes late registrations can go to the point of where you start with 15bb or less...there's no point paying to play in these from my point of view - freerolls, its whatever, jump in, find a spot to get it all in and hope for the best. I personally like to start early in MTTs, a little late registration isnt too bad, 3rd level or so. Backing up whats been said before it gives plenty of time to establish reads at your table, see more hands, hit more flops and build a bigger stack. I played 6 freerolls on ACR last night - one being the drunken donk 7 card stud - i did not cash, i busted 44th i think - then i played the other 5 as the $10 on demand freerolls - didnt cash in any of them either but finished in the top 50 of 3 of them, one i busted out in 28th place. I feel good about the runs i made in them, especially them being freerolls. Getting more to the point with the subject of this thread, i started all of them off early - this allowed me to make hands, build a stack and play my game to make a deep run.

thatguy6793

thatguy6793

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Most of the all in donks either quit or get knocked out after the first level or two so joining in the third level usually is an ok bet to still have the chance to make it itm without having to hustle and not get blinded out by the blinds being too big

Marcwantstowin

Marcwantstowin

Member of the T.S.T
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
I’m sorry but mtts you have to run good for a cash.. but you want a time in which you can run best.. no such thing

Think like this does my game get luckier with less BB? Late reg an online mtt is only good if you have a clear edge over the field .. look at the pros only one comes to mind Phil Hellmuth other than that most pros come near on time with multiple buyins

I like to buy in as early as possible. It seems like a lot of players like to late reg which is fair especially in those insane 6+hour late regs. It can be frustrating to be down 20% of your starting stack three hours in and see someone who just bought in have a bigger stack than you but you have to consider your opportunities and how much more you know about the table from choosing to buy in earlier.

At the start of the tournament. I dont really like late registration. I need my time to learn my opponents and also have more time to build my stack up.

Most of the all in donks either quit or get knocked out after the first level or two so joining in the third level usually is an ok bet to still have the chance to make it itm without having to hustle and not get blinded out by the blinds being too big

As you can see there are a lot of versions of the same thing, it is all about choice. I only like to start a tournament at the beginning, for some reason if I join late, I feel like I'm playing catch up.

Then again. There are some tournaments, especially non-turbo events which have 6 or more hours late registration, in which if you join an hour or so late, it does not really matter, especially those with rebuy's etc. I know some players who will buy-in as late as 2/3 hours after the game has begun, and still manage to win or cash in them. It is all about your choice and your style of play. (I don't think you should have a set style btw, but that's another story).

Good luck all.

R

RounderRob

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
fresh start at the beginning.. stack up as much as u can

johnny tigre

johnny tigre

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If the late registration is too long, i usually buy in at around 5 minutes to go for the late reg. Im not saying its a good idea, but i like looking at the number of players remaining going down not up. hehe

Miketheman190

Miketheman190

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In microstakes I register when it starts and take chances to try n build a stack. Then if I have to I'll re enter. Getting to the top couple of spots is my goal in tournaments and there is a much greater chance with a big stack.

619Leafs

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The best way I can put it is I don't know if there is a good time to buy in but you have to have the mentality of I am going to win this tournament.

S

SkilsToPayBils

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Excellent responses. I think the concensus for most people is to buy in early and play as a TAP. With respect to the long tournaments, I'm not sure an extra hour is going to be the difference. I'll stick to buying inew early whenever possibless.

B

betang

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I am also not a big friend of long tourmnaments. I prefer to enter early and play fast ones.

D

dorynel7

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Start at the beginning the best choice.

L

lierm

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In hyper turbo tournaments I would buy as early as possible, in regular speed tournaments late buy-in is not the problem, as usually blinds are not that big after an hour of a gameplay.

thetick33

thetick33

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
flat out from start yep if done with others will look at late regs see if makes sense by blinds to try to get in and steal money? which at times yes it does but for me i want how many hours of play from start to stack up make decisions easier to reach final tables and not need to coin flip to a final etc.. now i win as much from 9th at a final to first but love to have massive chip leave if possible... frustrating when many of those turn on ya and you get second but is ok just be consisntant the tourney will come to you if you wait 90% of time imho.... i DO NOT condone or believe in the new belief of must all in when dont have 10 bb's wait and do all ins with cards that have a chance of win easily and you will do better overall then worried on having so many blinds :) my own personal belief but it works for me

TeUnit

TeUnit

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You want to play hands with the fish, and the fish are usually the first to get knocked out- you should start playing at the beginning.

R

ROYALROAD

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Delayed registration

Delayed registration would be preferred in case of the person who always wins the cash game.

IcyPlayChips

IcyPlayChips

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Its better to start from the beginning for you to be able to play more hands. More hands means higher chance to eventually get something good.

I

IanP304

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think it depends on the structure and duration of late reg. For me I hate having to play for 5-6hrs before being ITM and some tournies have near 3hrs late reg. I prefer playing tournies with 90mins late reg and regging with around 50+ BB. This means I dont have to play for several hours to reach the money and still have an ample stack to play with.

tauri103

tauri103

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
he is an advisor to play on Saturday and Sunday morning. because he has more fish and fewer regular players at these times of the day.