Best Ideas for teaching my girlfriend poker

MagicDick

MagicDick

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
So I have been playing poker for decades and I am not exactly a patient teacher.

My girlfriend has asked me multiple times to teach her how to play poker.

Although I learned live and really enjoy the social dynamic of live play I don't think that is the most meaningful way to learn the basics of the game.

I figured I would start with freeroll tournaments until she is comfortable with what the cards mean and how to make a hand.

I think I should probably skip the more advanced strategy of position and opponent until she knows the game.

Does anyone have experience teaching an absolute novice that can offer a suggested course of action?

KristaK

KristaK

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
So I have been playing poker for decades and I am not exactly a patient teacher.

Although I learned live and really enjoy the social dynamic of live play I don't think that is the most meaningful way to learn the basics of the game.

I figured I would start with freeroll tournaments until she is comfortable with what the cards mean and how to make a hand.

I think I should probably skip the more advanced strategy of position and opponent until she knows the game.

Does anyone have experience teaching an absolute novice that can offer a suggested course of action?
buy her a poker training program like Upswing or Raise Your Edge
that way you have the best current poker teachers, help her learn proper

Aremaz95

Aremaz95

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Create a poker account and put it to play with fictional money so you understand the game more

N

Nano5722

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think the best way just to let her play lots of freerolls, she will win some money and play poker without any risk. After that, when she got some experience, you can show her some good teaching videos on Youtube, that can help a lot.

Poker_Mike

Poker_Mike

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
She should try to memorize the winning hands.

Let her play with a "cheat sheet" in front of her so she could look at it while she is playing.

Freerolls are fine.

Now you have another topic to talk about and share the poker experience together.

Good luck !

Zvezda kz

Zvezda kz

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hey.
There are many girls playing poker, and they say that they are much more capable than any man.
You need to listen to their advice, they will teach a girl to play at an advanced level much faster. I do not doubt their potential, I believe that they should not just stand at the stove to cook food.

NCDaddy

NCDaddy

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I am in process of teaching my youngest kid and I have taken the freeroll approach but sitting with him while he plays. I basically coach him on each hand.....position, watching for betting patterns, hand strength. Then I let him play on his own a bit and point out things he can work on. I have also recommended him a few books but he rather learn from doing. But, I think free sng's are a great way to teach without fear of losing any $.

This Fish Chums

This Fish Chums

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I taught my wife how to play poker. I started with me playing real cash game / tournies while she watched. I gave her a paper that showed the hand strengths and as I played she would ask me questions about why I was doing what I did and I would give her explanations of hands where I thought she could learn something.
Don't be afraid to explain complex concepts, just be willing to explain the same thing over and over until she stops asking because she understands what's going on. If you're the one in control then you don't necessarily need patience in the form of, "Why are you playing so stupid", you just need to have patience in the form of explaining the same things over and over again. Just look at it as, "She wouldn't be asking if she already knew the answer."

Then, after she slowly stops asking basic questions like, "Why did he win that hand?" You can let her play a game here and there. When I let my wife play I did absolutely no talking at first unless she asked a question. Trying to focus on a game when you're a novice and also trying to listen to someone explain what happened 2 hands ago is just too much to handle.

Ultimately, I essentially taught her tight ABC poker and over time she figured out when to loosen up on her own.

eetenor

eetenor

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Adult Learning Model

Thanks for posting.

The first steps are
1 I do you watch.
2 We do
3 You do I watch.

If you girlfriend knows zero. You start with a deck of cards. Deal out a single hand and a board, deal out a straight, a flush, two pair etc. State why each is what it is. Then redeal and ask her to state which is which. Then hand her the cards and ask her to deal out a straight or two pair hand etc.

Step 2

You deal out two hands face up then a flop. Then you state which hand is winning and why. Then you deal a turn card repeat. Then the river and repeat. Then you state this hand is over and you deal another. You then ask you girlfriend to state which hand is winning on each street and why.
Then she deals the cards and repeats.

The reason for the deck of cards is we humans learn better in 3d than 2d. The act of dealing the cards requires more of your brain to be active therefore solidifying the actions and the thoughts.

Pro tip from a married guy of 20 plus years. Emotions run high for both parties when we have expectations.
DO NOT HAVE EXPECTATIONS!!!!!

How fast she learns is how fast she learns.

Also this is a great time to bond with your girlfriend so make it fun.
Make sure it is not a lecture.

Touching relieves stress so hugs, high fives, a hand on a shoulder, a kiss all show her your belief in her. If she makes a mistake laugh and hug her and tell her how bad you were the first time.

Do I have to state the expectations thing again?

Hope this helps.

Reach out if you need clarity
:):)

A

ATruRube

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Don't! Unless you are Phil Laak and Jennifer Tilly

U

UncleConRon

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My opinion

Throw all the rules pf poker out the door except probability. Now heres the trick. This pattern happen most of the time with this probability. If someone after your girlfriend then change tables. That pattern do on this table. They like plays like queen of hearts (her) and king of diamonds (you). You have to convince her these cards like that combination those cards don't. Like ace of spades on flop. Just one card is all you can do cause you need to make your hand. People think your a sucker taking an out probability away. She accesses woman math and really don't care. Shes getting them to bet and more then likely winning. If it comes to the ace (straight draw) Its really hard to understand her with something like a six. Well hun were not really screwing around and were working together. Some reason women win like that.

Amanda A

Amanda A

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The first time I played I made sure I knew the order of winning hands then I googled no limit Texas Holdem and it told me starting players should only play premium hands and when you have something to play aggressive. I learnt the top 10 starting hands and played aggressive and I did ok.

Vanderwolfe

Vanderwolfe

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Be very patient lol! I am a female I picked up quick but I was also only 8 but you will need patience and a bottle of whiskey 🥃 [emoji23][emoji1360] good luck

B

betang

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Be patient and teach all you know! You guys may have fun playing together and why not can be a nice and winning couple in poker?! it would be nice.

CTAPYXA

CTAPYXA

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Have 4 children with your girlfriend and enjoy family life. This is the best solution to the problem.

muse713

muse713

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

Don't teach her, she's going to become a better player than you, and you will not be able to handle it.:D:D

eberetta1

eberetta1

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I show people the worst hands to the best hands.
Worst hand being 7 2 off suit and it can beat 62 off suit if it is highest cards on anyones hand.
Then i show one pair beats 5 cards.
Then show 2 pair beats 1 pair.
Etc etc, all the way to straight flush losing to royal flush.

Then Isay i will let them play a cash game and they can keep half the winnings.

Some people do not like to be watched while playing.

I just say, this is how i would play your hand, gf can play however she wants to though, so they can take my advice or leave it.

Some people do not have extra money to lose, so they do not learn the game. Using coins at home or using monopoly money can be an alternative way to get them the experience they need of playing poker.
Good luck.

wagon596

wagon596

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Don't be overbearing and very patient. I taught my ex-wife,,, maybe that's why she's my ex !! :)