T

Tchillyho

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi everyone,

this is my first post here.

I have been playing for quite a while (maybe 2 years) and spew a few bankroll in the process.

Now I'd like to play a bit more seriously. I've been playing 2NL for one month and made 100$ (~25k hands, ~20bb/100).

I am currently playing 5NL (I use a conservative 40 buy-in bankroll management). I didn't do great so far due to massive tilt at the tables (~3bb/100 for ~10k hands).

When I watch streamers playing 10-100NL, I hear them talking a lot about hand range, etc and I came to the conclusion that I'm playing without really knowing what I do, why I do certain things, what range I put villain on and so on and so on.

I've been looking on the forum for ways to improve my game. I've found people recommending poker training sites, and software like ace drills.

What about leakbuster, notecaddy, pokersnowie,... ? (yes, i'm using HM2 ^^)

I've read Blackrain's book on micros, and I'm currently reading Jared Tendler's book "The mental game of poker".

I also "hired" a coach. He is grinding 100NL and I'm his first student I think but hey ! It's free, it can only help me.

I guess the questions I'm asking are "What can I do to improve my game ? Are software a good investment, and if they are, which ones are the best ? Do you know any book that can help me maybe ?"

Thanks !

TchillyHo

A

AckLakCak3

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Poker tracker is a great investment, assuming the site you play on allows HUD's. I personally use Poker Dominator, which is a free software. It allows me to track my individual performance per session and over the course of my career. It helps me identify leaks in my game, such as which stakes I struggle in and what times of day I perform better. Joining CC was a great choice as well. If you have questions about a hand that you have played, you can post it here and get great feedback from other members. There are also a ton of posts regarding strategy that will help to open your mind about your style of play, and identify the style of play of those at the table with you. When possible, make notes on players in game so that you can identify their tendencies which will only improve your decision making against them in the future. Good luck!

PapaC

PapaC

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi Tchillyho and welcome to Cardschat. Have you done a Intro tread yet? If not, you should so we can know you better. That's the first thing about poker and CC. Get to know the players you need help from. Some damn good players here, and they have great advice. It really is amazing that you made $100 at 2nl in a month. Maybe you can share with us how you done that, and help others. The next thing is to pick a starting place. You said something about tilt. That's a good place to start because it has no place in poker, or tilt often and you will lose more BRs Just trying to help you get started if you are serious. Poker is a very big subject.

Sam Carter

Sam Carter

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Welcome here!
What about book - try to read "Polished poker" by John Anhalt. It has a workbook with tasks and questions so it can be really helpful.
What about training software - ace poker drills and leak buster are good ones.

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

Fully Tilted
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
hi, tchillyho to avoid any problems with the moderators read the cardschat rules for new members, one rules is that we are not supposed to write more than 3 lines, Wonder woman is always watching. :rolleyes:

What? I've never heard of this before.

Post seems great to me!

And, honestly it sounds like you're doing exactly what you need to be doing.

One question, are you playing ALOT of tables? If so, perhaps you could decrease the number & then attempt to put more thought into your actions in each & every spot.

gl

T

Tchillyho

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Poker tracker is a great investment, assuming the site you play on allows HUD's.

I'm already using a poker tracker. I purchased Holdem Manager.

One question, are you playing ALOT of tables?

I play 6 tables when I play 5NL. But recently I've been playing 2NL again and I play 12 tables (and I win ~30bb/100).

I'm still unsure if I should invest in a training website like deucescracked or something. Do you recommend training websites ? What about programes like PokerSnowie or LeakBuster that are included in Holdem Manager ?

TimovieMan

TimovieMan

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Isn't deucescracked free for the first week? You can download almost all their videos and watch them at your leisure without paying.

XXPXXP

XXPXXP

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
My advice is think based on my experience is finding "quality" poker friend - one of a group.
group discuss problems.

PS: Do not think most of the poker books help you win. or videos.
You know if he/she could win a lot , why He/she write a book tell others?
Yes, part of the chapter is helpful, but not. so is the training software.

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

Fully Tilted
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
You know if he/she could win a lot , why He/she write a book tell others?

Winning players aren't necessarily 'good coaches' 'teachers' or 'authors'.

Why don't you ask some of them... ie. Jon Turner, Jon Van Fleet (aka Apestyles), Tony Dunst, etc. etc. ?? (do you think they're 'hiding special secrets' or something?... or just giving the consumer some 2nd rate info. via their books?)

kbuinowski

kbuinowski

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
my tourneys

Hi everyone,

this is my first post here.

I have been playing for quite a while (maybe 2 years) and spew a few bankroll in the process.

Now I'd like to play a bit more seriously. I've been playing 2NL for one month and made 100$ (~25k hands, ~20bb/100).

I am currently playing 5NL (I use a conservative 40 buy-in bankroll management). I didn't do great so far due to massive tilt at the tables (~3bb/100 for ~10k hands).

When I watch streamers playing 10-100NL, I hear them talking a lot about hand range, etc and I came to the conclusion that I'm playing without really knowing what I do, why I do certain things, what range I put villain on and so on and so on.

I've been looking on the forum for ways to improve my game. I've found people recommending poker training sites, and software like ace drills.

What about leakbuster, notecaddy, pokersnowie,... ? (yes, i'm using HM2 ^^)

I've read Blackrain's book on micros, and I'm currently reading Jared Tendler's book "The mental game of poker".

I also "hired" a coach. He is grinding 100NL and I'm his first student I think but hey ! It's free, it can only help me.

I guess the questions I'm asking are "What can I do to improve my game ? Are software a good investment, and if they are, which ones are the best ? Do you know any book that can help me maybe ?"

Thanks !

TchillyHo

Me I never bought any software or even read any books on how to play poker. Me there are days that I play tight and there is days where I get in a free roll and people love to play lose where they go all in on every hand which I hate when that happens.Then I play tight and hope I get a good pocket pair and they go all in and you hit to take half there money then they slow down or hope that you have enough chips where you can take them out of the tourney.

XXPXXP

XXPXXP

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Winning players aren't necessarily 'good coaches' 'teachers' or 'authors'.

Why don't you ask some of them... ie. Jon Turner, Jon Van Fleet (aka Apestyles), Tony Dunst, etc. etc. ?? (do you think they're 'hiding special secrets' or something?... or just giving the consumer some 2nd rate info. via their books?)

Yes, watch a video about a wsop winner, he said he is not going to play poker long time, therefore he reveals some secret. but he honestly admit there are still something hide behind.

Generally, poker is a Zero-Sum game there is no winning player. There is only weaker player. therefore, if there is an edge against them , why trained these weaker player to be good, esp write a book?

was told a story, nanonoko@poker stars, once offered about 500K USD for his cash table strategy, he refused.

the other thing , top player like Phil Ivey, Stu ungar ever write a book tell you have to be a shark? Doly wrote Super system, and he said later He lost millions of potential dollars later - it is negative EV. revealing winning strategy in a book. OBV:D

It is like coca cola's secret recipe... unless it is out dated. keep it secret.

Last edited:
D

darreneliascoach

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
practice and review no substitute for this

CharlieWest

CharlieWest

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Great information on possible training sources. Has anyone used advancedpokertraining.com? I used it but seemed to get worse and worse as I went. I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with it and any opinions on its worth.

I'm also finding that I'm not cashing nearly as much as I did when I first started playing last year, which seems counterintuitive to me (since I've read many many books, including the Super Systems) and used training sites, and just generally have more experience. I know that I'm being results oriented but it's hard not to be at times. Thx!