Beginner leaks

M

marlonksmith

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
when first starting playing, what did you guys tend to find to be your most obvious leaks after reviewing hands after play? Any insight willcsure prove useful for me In the future :D:D

Y

yoshi352000

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Play you'll get battered and then figure out why, then make adjustments.

When I first played I was too tight, then I was too loose and it took years before I figured out a baseline strategy. Then I make adjustments on the fly, just play because you need to play 10's of thousands of hands.

M

marlonksmith

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Set mining without the implied odds was a huge leak in the beginning for me.

Sorry, what do you mean exactly by that, I do know what set mining is I think lol

wagon596

wagon596

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Biggest leak for me is chasing straights. Playing like a super NIT is a problem also.

Fishmasterbaiter

Fishmasterbaiter

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
lol

I can walk away from straights but flush draws and A10 suited are really hard for me to let go.
Biggest leak for me is chasing straights. Playing like a super NIT is a problem also.

Maikl113

Maikl113

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When you start playing online poker, there's a lot you don't understand. At what point and with what hand, as well as with what player you can go to the hand. Even now, playing about 5-7 years, every time you analyze your game. My advice is to take your time and play as tight as possible when you are a beginner, experience comes with time. It is almost impossible to predict anything in online poker.

Serjo600

Serjo600

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
see for ur dinamic of play (basic statistic) and range hands

P

pokeherface

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
this is the first year I started winning only because this year I focused on what I was doing wrong I've focused on one thing at a time
1. calling too much preflop (look for preflop calling ranges as a guideline
2. looking for spots to 3b out of sb and bb to improve win rate from these positions
3. folding to c-bets (was folding to little)
next im going to look at double barreling I think I might do it a little too much

I started off playing way to loose I like to think I've become more of a slightly loose aggressive player now

LA PokerKush

LA PokerKush

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
when first starting playing, what did you guys tend to find to be your most obvious leaks after reviewing hands after play? Any insight willcsure prove useful for me In the future :D:D
You've got a lot of great advice in the thread, a few things I might add is bet sizing, typically (in tournaments) for me I can tell when someone is opening for than 2.5x -4x preflop is either new or easier exploitable, in other words if you min-raise with mediocre hands and 6x raise with the top of your range, its gonna be obvious.
You can do it how you like it but make sure you switch it up or make all preflop raises about the same, even with AA, unless its late in the tourney and ICM and chip ev are the major factors ( cash games generally play tighter and in position. )
You'll get more action and will be able to 3bet isolation trap hands that might not have an idea of how strong you are and are dominated by you.
3betting bet sizes and how much of the pot to bet is a whole other thing, but master the opening raise will not only improve your game but also save you chips.

Good luck!