Beginner Advice

N

NoETdrizzle

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
So recently I have gained interest in wanting to dive in and really start learning how to get better and slowly work my way up over time. Essentially right now I'd be starting at the micro stakes tournament level and NL2/5 cash game level. I essentially need to find a good place to start as I'd like to dive into studying. Are there certain free strategy places for micro stakes I should be looking at first? Or are there websites like Raise Your Edge or upswing poker where I should be taking a micro stakes/beginner course? Thank you everyone in advance for your help <3

N

NoETdrizzle

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Anyone willing to offer some help? :(
Even something small like how they personally started to learn when they first started and how they have improved to where they are at today?

eetenor

eetenor

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Even something small like how they personally started to learn when they first started and how they have improved to where they are at today?

Thank you for posting

Cardschat has setup a free 30 day course and has threads discussing each days topic. There is no better place to start than doing that course. It has great advice and you will be able to apply it directly to the stakes you are playing

Hope this helps

N

NoETdrizzle

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thank you. I just wanted to make sure it was agreed to be good for just starting. You will probably see me around asking what is the best to study after that course haha. Thanks again!

A2ub3

A2ub3

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
  • Avoid Playing Every Hand.
  • Bluffing Is Only Useful In Moderation, If At All.
  • Think About Other Players Cards, Not Just Your Own.
  • Try To Play Against Other Beginners.
  • Consider Table Position.

Evan Jarvis

Evan Jarvis

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
So recently I have gained interest in wanting to dive in and really start learning how to get better and slowly work my way up over time. Essentially right now I'd be starting at the micro stakes tournament level and NL2/5 cash game level. I essentially need to find a good place to start as I'd like to dive into studying. Are there certain free strategy places for micro stakes I should be looking at first? Or are there websites like Raise Your Edge or upswing poker where I should be taking a micro stakes/beginner course? Thank you everyone in advance for your help <3

Hey Noet!

Sorry for not getting back to you earlier, I haven't been on the forums for a few days.

Regarding starting out, this playlist covers a majority of the key concepts you need to understanding to be a winning poker player: http://gripsed.com/win

Carschat also released their new course, 30 days to become a winning poker player which is very comprehensive and also free.

If you're looking to get into paid content, run it once has a really nice course for cash games (see the video below)

and the other sites you mentioned are great as well. Upswing, Raise your edge, Pokercoaching, Redchippoker.

If I were in your spot I would start with the free courses and maybe FTGU, because it's important to start with a structured format.

If after you complete that you feel like you want more, feel free to send me a message. I have taken just about every program on the market and can point you in the right direction depending on what specifically you want to learn (MTT, Cash, SNG, Mental game, etc.)

Hope that helps, and happy studying my friend!

N

NoETdrizzle

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hey Noet!

Sorry for not getting back to you earlier, I haven't been on the forums for a few days.

Regarding starting out, this playlist covers a majority of the key concepts you need to understanding to be a winning poker player: http://gripsed.com/win

Carschat also released their new course, 30 days to become a winning poker player which is very comprehensive and also free.

If you're looking to get into paid content, run it once has a really nice course for cash games (see the video below)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bixMlvshfSU

and the other sites you mentioned are great as well. Upswing, Raise your edge, Pokercoaching, Redchippoker.

If I were in your spot I would start with the free courses and maybe FTGU, because it's important to start with a structured format.

If after you complete that you feel like you want more, feel free to send me a message. I have taken just about every program on the market and can point you in the right direction depending on what specifically you want to learn (MTT, Cash, SNG, Mental game, etc.)

Hope that helps, and happy studying my friend!

Thank you so much for your advice. I'm sure I'll end up messaging you later once I finish the free content to see what you think is best. Have a great rest of your day!

Phoenix Wright

Phoenix Wright

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips

Granted, I am still in the learning stages myself; however, I've also come a long way in a relatively short time frame. I think the most helpful advice I can give you is more mindset oriented than poker-related, but it certainly applies here.

I find that determination, motivation and work ethic are all key factors in improvement. With so many poker course, articles, books and so on: the information is all there. Most of that information is free, or not too expensive, (internet is an extremely powerful tool in the realm of free learning) and what will separate you from the competition is no longer your access to that information - it is your willingness to implement it into your game and determination to staying with your work ethic.

The 30 day course, on cardschat, is a great course (I took it myself) and the target audience for that course is primarily beginners who know the rules or beginning intermediate players.

In fact, I personally joined cardschat because of the forums as I wanted a way to interact with other players as I was just learning. You are already on your first step to improving your poker game simply by being here :)

T

Transitley

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I completed the 30 day course a few weeks ago - in my 3rd stint of poker enthusiasm over last 8 years and that has taught me a huge amount. I’ve been trying to balamce playing g and practise with study so for me 2-3 evenings of $5 9man SnGs plus couple of houses study most days. I have a few more pounds than I started with but not much but at least it’s not costing andwill hopefully lead to more.

In summary, balance the learning with playing which hopefully you can do without losing money at the appropriate stake