Basic Situation I guess

A

Andrei Afrasinei

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello guys, I'm still a micro stakes mtt grinder that tries to study/learn/improve so I wanna talk to you about a hand that is not very complicated but maybe time to time it's good to know if your thinking is good.

400 away from bubble
80/160 blinds
Hero stack - 13k
Villain stack - 11k

Fold to Villain on HJ who limps
Fold to SB who limps
Hero whole cards - A9o
Hero in BB raises to 720 (because 2 limp until him so weak hands most majority of times)

Villain in HJ calls
Villain in SB folds

FLOP: 4 2 9 (rainbow)

Hero bets around 1800 (80% of pot or so)
Villain makes it 2900

My thinking here -> limping preflop + call 4bet I think he has a small pair or Ax off suit (x being 2,3,4,5)
If he has a set I think he would go all in
Overpair would bet preflop
2 pairs can't have it on that board
maybe a straight draw but unlikely to re-raise that
Maybe 9x suited (like Q9/K9)
Either way I have him beat
So hero goes all in
Villain Snap calls
villain whole cards - 66

a 6 hits the turn and Hero loses most part of his chips

is it a good read though? is it a good play? can you please give me your opinions?

Thank you guys ! :D

This Fish Chums

This Fish Chums

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
To me you put a good amount of thought into it and came up with the right call. The only problem with your thought process is it did not involve what type of player this was or how they play this type of situation. Ultimately, though, I would say it was the right call and they just caught a 2-outer.

puzzlefish

puzzlefish

student of the donk arts
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I'm finding a lot of spots like this online. You make the right call and their one- or two- outer hits on the turn or river. I've lost this kind of situation with Aces, two pairs, and even with sets of my own that ended up losing to higher sets, straights, runner flushes, etc. - you name it, I have seen it. It just comes down to you being sucked out. If you're not prepared to see it happen, just don't call unless you have the unbeatable nuts. Otherwise, there is always going to be this risk. A lot of the time online feels like playing slots, except slots is more peaceful.

Carl Trooper

Carl Trooper

Degenerate Idiot
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hello guys, I'm still a micro stakes mtt grinder that tries to study/learn/improve so I wanna talk to you about a hand that is not very complicated but maybe time to time it's good to know if your thinking is good.

400 away from bubble
80/160 blinds
Hero stack - 13k
Villain stack - 11k

Fold to Villain on HJ who limps
Fold to SB who limps
Hero whole cards - A9o
Hero in BB raises to 720 (because 2 limp until him so weak hands most majority of times)

Villain in HJ calls
Villain in SB folds

FLOP: 4 2 9 (rainbow)

Hero bets around 1800 (80% of pot or so)
Villain makes it 2900

My thinking here -> limping preflop + call 4bet I think he has a small pair or Ax off suit (x being 2,3,4,5)
If he has a set I think he would go all in
Overpair would bet preflop
2 pairs can't have it on that board
maybe a straight draw but unlikely to re-raise that
Maybe 9x suited (like Q9/K9)
Either way I have him beat
So hero goes all in
Villain Snap calls
villain whole cards - 66

a 6 hits the turn and Hero loses most part of his chips

is it a good read though? is it a good play? can you please give me your opinions?

Thank you guys ! :D

I think your thinking is fine, but I don’t agree with him having a set he will just shove. In fact, I love to min raise the preflop raiser on flops when I do hit sets, hoping they spazz and shove flops w your hand TPTK or over pairs. His raise again could also be he’s thinking you may have AK etc and c betting

Overall I think your play is perfectly fine

drunkalien

drunkalien

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I think your thinking is fine, but I don’t agree with him having a set he will just shove. In fact, I love to min raise the preflop raiser on flops when I do hit sets, hoping they spazz and shove flops w your hand TPTK or over pairs. His raise again could also be he’s thinking you may have AK etc and c betting

Overall I think your play is perfectly fine

I have to agree. The logic is there and makes sense. My way of thinking as it sounds like it is yours as well, you can make much more money assessing the cards and the reasons why someone would be in a hand like this so deep. I'd stare long and hard at the villian before calling and even toss out some exploratory questions about his possible cards and you can read the answers without them having to say anything. It's all in the micro movements and how you phrase the questions to goad a reaction.

Good topic, OP!