Basic mistakes of a novice in poker.

schon1958

schon1958

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello friends, here I explain something basic mistakes that new players make in poker. undoubtedly the most common mistake is that many of us being rookies match the blinds with strong cards like AK, the same when we have AQ, and also with KQ.

Hello friends, here I explain something basic mistakes that new players make in poker. undoubtedly the most common mistake is that many of us being rookies match the blinds with strong cards like AK, the same when we have AQ, and also with KQ,

Remember friend, it is not good to bet all your chips on a preflop since a player even with marginal cards can link you to a ladder and maybe even a color, it is best to wait for the flop.

How would AA play in preflop?

Warrior1961

Warrior1961

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi friend.

I think we rookies have a lot more mistakes than just matching the blinds with AK and AQ. I think the biggest flaw we have is fear, which makes us play to call the blinds from any position, even with good hands. This is seen in the freerolls, where we can see four or five players per hand, since nobody comes up.
I'm trying to change my game from passive tight to aggressive tigh, and that means waiting no more AA or KK to enter a hand with an open raise and even a 3 bet.
I still do not see results because I admit that I play with fear this new stage, but it seems to me that in the long run we have to stop calling with AK, AQ. The reality is that if we don't hit when we have to c-bet, chances are the villain hasn't hit anything on the flop either.
I don't think I discovered America with this, but for a newbie to be able to see this is an important advance.

Kind regards from Buenos Aires.

619Leafs

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
My experience as a novice players was playing too many hands and losing chips where its not needed.

KristaK

KristaK

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi friend.
I think we rookies have a lot more mistakes than just matching the blinds with AK and AQ. I think the biggest flaw we have is fear, which makes us play to call the blinds from any position, even with good hands. This is seen in the freerolls, where we can see four or five players per hand, since nobody comes up.
I'm trying to change my game from passive tight to aggressive tigh, and that means waiting no more AA or KK to enter a hand with an open raise and even a 3 bet.
I still do not see results because I admit that I play with fear this new stage, but it seems to me that in the long run we have to stop calling with AK, AQ. The reality is that if we don't hit when we have to c-bet, chances are the villain hasn't hit anything on the flop either.
I don't think I discovered America with this, but for a newbie to be able to see this is an important advance. Kind regards from Buenos Aires.
hi hi warrior :ciao:
waves to buenos aires
please i no sure what this means "just matching the blinds with AK and AQ"
thank you

Warrior1961

Warrior1961

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
waves to buenos aires
please i no sure what this means "just matching the blinds with AK and AQ"
thank you

search

Hi KristaK.

Nice to meet you.

"Just calling the bb with AK or AQ" is perhaps better understood. Sorry for my basic English.
C:\Users\Carlos\Desktop\anigif_sub-buzz-18815-1476209349-4.gif
:confused:

Best regards.

Last edited:
KristaK

KristaK

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
search

Hi KristaK.
Nice to meet you.
"Just calling the bb with AK or AQ" is perhaps better understood. Sorry for my basic English.
C:\Users\Carlos\Desktop\anigif_sub-buzz-18815-1476209349-4.gif
:confused: Best regards.
very nice meet you as well
thank you explain
btw... your english seems superior to mine
stay safe in argentina

jirasuonna

jirasuonna

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Remember friend, it is not good to bet all your chips on a preflop since a player even with marginal cards can link you to a ladder and maybe even a color, it is best to wait for the flop.

How would AA play in preflop?

If you think you can get all your chips in pre-flop with AA with someone calling you, you should definitely do it. The reason not to do it is because you don't want to scare away your opponent. Sometimes you will lose, but more often you will win.

schon1958

schon1958

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi friend.

I don't think I discovered America with this, but for a newbie to be able to see this is an important advance.

You have to play a little aggressive since if you are very passive, the opponents will have you with a weak player just by betting with strong hands, friend, otherwise they will press you to withdraw in almost all hands and you would realize that you only bet with strong hands, that would show that you are a weak player just by playing with strong hands.

Warrior1961

Warrior1961

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You have to play a little aggressive since if you are very passive, the opponents will have you with a weak player just by betting with strong hands, friend, otherwise they will press you to withdraw in almost all hands and you would realize that you only bet with strong hands, that would show that you are a weak player just by playing with strong hands.

Hi friend.

Thank you for your advice. We are on that path, on the path of being aggressive tight.

Warrior1961

Warrior1961

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
very nice meet you as well
thank you explain
btw... your english seems superior to mine
stay safe in argentina

Hello dear friend.

My best wishes for you. Take care of yourself, wherever you are.

In my country, things are not going well financially, but the pandemic is being managed quite well, with common sense, beyond the financial damage that the prolonged quarantine will cause. But hey, it is preferable to be a little poorer but still alive. When this nightmare ends we will see.

Best regards.

Amanda A

Amanda A

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi everyone, Yes I agree tight aggressive is the way to go. Starting out, the best advice I found was stick to only top ten starting hands and when you pick up one of these hands pre flop be aggressive. If you hit the flop with a great starting hand you'll most likely have the best hand and won't have problems like top pair weak kicker. Bet out when you feel you have the best hand after the flop and make people with worse hands or draws pay. GL Take care!

schon1958

schon1958

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you think you can get all your chips in pre-flop with AA with someone calling you, you should definitely do it. The reason not to do it is because you don't want to scare away your opponent. Sometimes you will lose, but more often you will win.

If AA would play it somewhat passively to try to form a good pot

jirasuonna

jirasuonna

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If AA would play it somewhat passively to try to form a good pot
If you have AA, you want the other player to play aggressively and go all-in. AA is the best hand pre-flop. With AA you will win more often than not. If you play AA passively you give them the chance to draw out on you or play for only a little money. If someone else is already being very aggressive, maybe you can get more money that way, but you want to make sure a lot of money is going in. Also, if you play it too passively and a lot of people get in the pot then your chance of winning goes down. AA is only top pair and doesn't improve much.

PsychoVas

PsychoVas

What The Duck???
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
The only universal rule in poker is : "It depends"
As you gain experience you will notice that "limping" (this is the common poker term for matching the Big Blind) is something you should never do. When you have a strong hand you need to raise with it for two reasons. Building the pot and thinning out the field, thus making it easier to read your opponents post-flop.
There are very rare cases where limping can be profitable, exploiting extremely aggressive and loose players.
As for shoving Aces pre-flop, it can be a real waste of the best hand, if everybody folds and you just get to steal the blinds...
Again, it depends. If you are sure that people will call your shove, then it is a profitable move.

M

mell0404

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My experience as a novice player was playing too many hands and losing chips where it was avoidable.

schon1958

schon1958

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My experience as a novice player was playing too many hands and losing chips where it was avoidable.

It is not necessary to play many hands, only playing some with good cards at the beginning you can play many hands for the blinds that are low but without risking much, since when the blinds have a value that can do damage you have to be more selective in the hands to play to avoid losing chips.

F

futureballoon

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think the biggest mistake of rookies is playing way too many hands out of position. Need to keep the chip leak to a minimum so that when you do get the monster hand you can double up. Those extra chips you're saving will come in handy when you are pushing all-in.

schon1958

schon1958

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think the biggest mistake for rookies is playing too many hands out of position. You need to keep the chip leak to a minimum so that when you get the monster's hand you can double up. Those extra tabs you are saving will come in handy when you are pressing everything inside.

If one of the things we should avoid is voting chips with marginal hands

chilindrodolar

chilindrodolar

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It happened to me at the beginning, I am already adjusting a bit, but I think you always have to make strong rises, so that no marginal hands get into the pool, well, analyze the terrain well with possibilities in your favor, many times it is good to analyze before giving it call your hand. !!! only advice from someone who started from less to more, I have been playing for at least 5 years and I still have to improve my game I lack studies, always stay firm because at the beginning it goes well, if the tournament is long I get bored a little and It should not be like that I am working for that because I always start in the first place in the file, and then end in less greetings. !!!!

NWPatriot

NWPatriot

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

If you are playing in a cash game, this advice is probably best. If you are playing in a tournament, I am not sure this is the best play. Yes we want to play this best 2 card poker hand aggressively, but this is a 7 card game, and I want a little more information.

We need to maximize the chips in the pot when we win, but we need to manage the pot when the board is not favorable. If there are 3 hearts on the board, I will be happy to pot control with my A's if I do not have the Ah. If I have gone all in pre-flop, before I saw 3 of the 5 board cards, I will not have this "opportunity". We will lose with AA 1 in 6 times, and if this is the one time I would have lost, and I am happy to minimize my lossses. I know that this advice will not be popular either, but I do believe it to be better in tournaments.

As for advice for new players, I agree that it is all about not playing too many hands. If you are not adept at postflop play, then playing a lot of marginal hands will be trouble for you. Tighten up and selectively play better hands and yes, learn how and when to bet. To not sit and watch or players will take your chips even if you play good hands.

K

kubistok

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
AA preflop: raise 3-4xBB, if anyone will reraise you, then you must reraise him.:D

Shrops

Shrops

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hands

Playing to many hands is about the biggest mistake a novice player makes.

schon1958

schon1958

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Playing to many hands is about the biggest mistake a novice player makes.

If it is better to play few hands and try to double the chips with strong hands.