Bankroll managing

piney

piney

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What are the most important key factors to online bankroll managing. It seems like when I get ahead I get a lot of the more stronger beats quads verses quads, fullhouses verses fullhouses. I catch the best hand to start but get caught even if I bet with the right timing there is always "that hand". How do you exscape those and stay ahead?

D

dturner100

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Can't lose what you don't bring to the table.
Depending on the stakes, and tourney vs cash game I'll have between 30 and 100 times the buy in.
Obviously if you take a real bad beat don't put money back down on the table.
If you still have the urge to play go on a freeroll binge for a day or two.

J

JPainTrainSicko

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
For tournament play the standard is to have a bankroll= to 100 buyins of the game your playing. With a $200 bankroll = 2.00 games and less. For cash I've seen varying amounts between 30-50 buyins for the stake you're at. So if you're playing 1-2 with a $200 max buyin tour roll should be 6000-10000. Having these ratios is to protect your downside in the game, or variance.

piney

piney

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I join the freerolls to blow off steam but playing poorly seems to send me into a downward losing spiral then playing tight again it takes a long time to catch some decent hands. I struggle with patience and in this game it seems you need a lot of it.

Danjwarburton

Danjwarburton

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
here's an idea instead, why dont you focus on a budget?

As in, how much can you afford to invest in poker each month? How much can you afford to lose each month?

The micros are about learning the game, not making money. It is for pennys after all and if you can afford to invest more money into a limit, you may progress faster as you learn to tackle 25nl or 50nl for example instead of 2nl.

So decide how much you can afford to lose then play a limit accordingly.

B

bolenator

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
For tournament play the standard is to have a bankroll= to 100 buyins of the game your playing. With a $200 bankroll = 2.00 games and less. For cash I've seen varying amounts between 30-50 buyins for the stake you're at. So if you're playing 1-2 with a $200 max buyin tour roll should be 6000-10000. Having these ratios is to protect your downside in the game, or variance.

"plus 1 " great advice

BigJamo

BigJamo

Aussie Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Do a Search on here for other BR threads.
And There are a lot of players that update their threads often.

piney

piney

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Do a Search on here for other BR threads.
And There are a lot of players that update their threads often.

I have followed a few of them there is some great bankroll advice on here.

I have tried depositing but it seems I dont have the ability to play with focus and it gets costly. I dont mind spending it for the fun and entertainment aspect of it but it be nice to win too lol seems like it is harder to catch a good flow when I deposit.

S

ShoTyme

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have followed a few of them there is some great bankroll advice on here.

I have tried depositing but it seems I dont have the ability to play with focus and it gets costly. I dont mind spending it for the fun and entertainment aspect of it but it be nice to win too lol seems like it is harder to catch a good flow when I deposit.

This is the whole point of poker. You're probably playing differently when your own money is on the line vs when it's a freeroll. That's the whole point. Poker is supposed to be played for money.

Proper bankroll management should mitigate that scared feeling you get when your money is on the line. For tourney players you should have 100 buy-ins for mtts and 50 buyins for stts. If you can stick with that then you shouldn't feel scared to lose a buy-in and be able to play your best game. Additionally, your risk of ruin, or chance of busting your entire roll, is greatly reduced with this method. However, this only works if you're a winning player. If your a losing player, NO bankroll management will work since you will end up broke in the long run no matter what. Hopefully by the time that happens, you've played enough to be able to find the leaks in your game and fix them.

Good luck!

piney

piney

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This is the whole point of poker. You're probably playing differently when your own money is on the line vs when it's a freeroll. That's the whole point. Poker is supposed to be played for money.

Proper bankroll management should mitigate that scared feeling you get when your money is on the line. For tourney players you should have 100 buy-ins for mtts and 50 buyins for stts. If you can stick with that then you shouldn't feel scared to lose a buy-in and be able to play your best game. Additionally, your risk of ruin, or chance of busting your entire roll, is greatly reduced with this method. However, this only works if you're a winning player. If your a losing player, NO bankroll management will work since you will end up broke in the long run no matter what. Hopefully by the time that happens, you've played enough to be able to find the leaks in your game and fix them.

Good luck!

It is a process. I should probably start by better managing my check book lol

C

CallmeFloppy

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think my biggest piece of advice is to make sure that when you sit a table that you are playing with the right mind set. If you can stay in a mindset to make the best possible decision on every stage of every hand, you will be fine. If you are in a position that you are worried about losing your money, that will effect your play. Better to either drop a level or possibly not play at all.
It is true that poker is played for money, but you can't let the fear of losing it keep you from making the best decision in a hand.

Bankroll Building - Bankroll Management