Bankroll management & Rebuys

EnigmaTTO

EnigmaTTO

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
So I'm curious about whether or not it's worth it to rebuy into an MTT after I get knocked out during the rebuy period. I've been building my bankroll by playing freerolls and microstakes ($0.12) MTTs and I've gotten to the point where I could comfortably rebuy into some tournaments if I actually wanted to. Is it ever worth rebuying or is it more of a money sink for people who just want to gamble?

S

SharkFinn

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It can be worth it, I think it all depends on how your rebuy stack would compare against the stacks left in the tournament. I've been in situations where I could rebuy into a tournament and immediately be in the money, and I think it's obviously a good idea to rebuy there. I've also seen people rebuy where the rebuy stack would be a quarter of the stack that's currently in the last money place, and I think that's just throwing money away.

M

Mahdi

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It worth it from time to time, I'd rather to rely how I play at this moment and what I feel about my game. If you do well and got knocked out anyway rebuy may get you ITM and further

R

ROYALROAD

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
When there aren't other tournaments worth registering participation newly.

Re-buy, valuable.

W

Wiflopper

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Id consider it if the BB is 50 or over for rebuy and if the blinds are not 5 minute turbos

niphon56

niphon56

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It's better for u to play freerolls at the first. :deal:

When u built some bankroll means u got some skills already.:)

Most of time those money earned from freerolls is enough to play buy-in tournaments or cash games. ;)

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you play R+A (rebuy + addon) tournaments, then your first goal should always be to make it to the add-on period, and you should be willing to rebuy as many times, as this requires. For this reason you also need a larger bankroll. Whereas a 220$ bankroll might be enough for a normal 2,2$ tournament, if its a 2,2$ R+A, like for instance those on 888 Poker, you want to have something more like 550$ to play these. That might sound like a bad deal, but its not, because you are also going to be competing for the same kind of prices, like you would in a 5,5$ tournament.

If you are talking about tournaments without add-ons, then rebuy is usually called reenter, and it basically just mean, you play the same tournament one more time. 888 Poker call it "second chance rebuy". Playing the same tournament twice is no more "money sink" or gambling than playing two different tournaments. So yes you can do this, if you still want to play the tournament. It wont effect your long term results at all, unless you make mistakes like playing, when you are tilted from losing. And it also does not effect the required bankroll. You can still play regular 2,2$ tournaments with a 220$ bankroll, even if you sometimes decide to reenter after an early bust.

mervin88

mervin88

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you play R+A (rebuy + addon) tournaments, then your first goal should always be to make it to the add-on period, and you should be willing to rebuy as many times, as this requires. For this reason you also need a larger bankroll. Whereas a 220$ bankroll might be enough for a normal 2,2$ tournament, if its a 2,2$ R+A, like for instance those on 888 Poker, you want to have something more like 550$ to play these. That might sound like a bad deal, but its not, because you are also going to be competing for the same kind of prices, like you would in a 5,5$ tournament.

If you are talking about tournaments without add-ons, then rebuy is usually called reenter, and it basically just mean, you play the same tournament one more time. 888 Poker call it "second chance rebuy". Playing the same tournament twice is no more "money sink" or gambling than playing two different tournaments. So yes you can do this, if you still want to play the tournament. It wont effect your long term results at all, unless you make mistakes like playing, when you are tilted from losing. And it also does not effect the required bankroll. You can still play regular 2,2$ tournaments with a 220$ bankroll, even if you sometimes decide to reenter after an early bust.

very well said, fundiver :)

A

alien666dj

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Bankroll management and rebuy are only compatible if you are 200% confident in your skills. Yes, many successful players re-enter, but only when it makes enough sense. Sometimes it brings nothing but loss of money. If you can easily raise your bankroll without re-entrances, then what's the point of taking risks when it can't always be justified.

W

winnie1993

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I make rebuy till think that it is progitable for me. Maybe with 15bb and less in tuff tournament i would not rebuy(especiaaly if see 1 more nice tournament), but if tournament without addon i can not say that rebuys should make your bankroll more huge.

Matt_Burns88

Matt_Burns88

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
So I'm curious about whether or not it's worth it to rebuy into an MTT after I get knocked out during the rebuy period. I've been building my bankroll by playing freerolls and microstakes ($0.12) MTTs and I've gotten to the point where I could comfortably rebuy into some tournaments if I actually wanted to. Is it ever worth rebuying or is it more of a money sink for people who just want to gamble?

Good question.

There are a couple of factors to keep in mind when re-buying.

Are you properly bankrolled? If you are planning to re-buy 2 or 3 times to a tournament, you are not play a $1.10 tournament, but a $3.30 or a $4.40 tournament - Will your bankroll survive this?

What are the payouts like? If you're near the bubble then it seems obvious to rebuy because you are likely to cash, but what if the min cash is $1.20 and the next pay jump is only to $1.50 after another 100 or more places bust? This is very common in huge micro-stakes tournaments.

How many big blind will your re-buy get you? Rebuying with 50 or more bb's is quite reasonable, while re-buying for 10bb's is much like lighting your money on fire. This is much more important that average stacks, especially in the earlier stages of a tournament. No one ever won a tournament by having a close to average stack in the 5th blind level of a 2,000 entry tournament.

T

TaigaMaster

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I always do only two ribeyes, I never take the third one, I just quit the game

Bankroll Building - Bankroll Management