how much money do i have to have to level up in cash

Phoenix Wright

Phoenix Wright

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This is going to be based on your stakes. In general, you'll want 30 to 50 buy-ins.

I agree; even more if possible. Ideally even 100+ buy-ins. How much money you set aside for poker dictates what stakes you should be playing in. I know 100+ buy-ins sounds like a lot, but variance in poker is very real and this bankroll management helps protect you from it and going bankrupt (which seems very easy to do even for a professional poker player). The biggest key to winning at poker isn't necessarily poker ability; it is table selection and bankroll management.

In practical terms, let us say your bankroll is $100, then you ideally shouldn't risk any more than $1 for event/night etc. This may sound really low in monetary value, but your bankroll will increase as you become a stronger player and grind your way up. You may also want to consider freeroll events when starting out - there is no risk and possible reward :)

Lena M

Lena M

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Hello.
It depends on what goals you set for yourself. Anyway, if you are a beginner I recommend you try to improve your skills by playing freerolls. This is a safer way, without risking your own money.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It depends, how willing you are to tolerate swings in your bankroll, and how willing you are to move down again, when things are not going well.

20 BI / 2.000 BB is very aggressive bankroll management
30 BI / 3.000 BB is aggressive bankroll management
50 BI / 5.000 BB is conservative bankroll management
100 BI / 10.000 BB is very conservative bankroll management

For me 20-50 is where, a part time player should aim to be most of the time. If poker is not your main source of income, then you dont need to "tax" your bankroll by making regular withdrawals to pay bills, and it should also not be a big deal to occationally move back down one level. Some people are however very intolerant of swings and will tend to tilt after losing even a small amount of their bankroll, and if you have this problem, then maybe 100 BI is better for you.

Matt_Burns88

Matt_Burns88

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
how much money do i have to have to level up in cash

What are your goals in poker?

If you're a recreational player and can fund your poker bankroll from another source (day job), then 20 buy ins are just fine. Playing $2/$5 a bank roll of $10,000 works.

If you're a serious regular player that is looking to really grow your bankroll and move up through the levels to the higher stakes, around 50-60 buy-in will cover most downswings and avoid you having to move down levels when the inevitable downswing hits. Playing $2/$5 a bank roll of $25,000+ should be enough.

If you want to play like a professional and avoid the risk of ever going broke, 100 buy-ins is the absolute minimum, and that is for the level you want to move up to, not where you're at at the moment, so if you're playing $2/$5, you should have a bank roll of at least $50,000 and you want to have $100,000 before moving up to $5/$10. You also need to be prepared to drop back down to $2/$5 if you lose a few buy-ins when you first move up.

I'm assuming you're playing NLHE. If you're playing PLO, you probably want to at least double all of the above because the swing in PLO are so much bigger.

S

Shark Feeder

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
FI
Chips
I was also looking for this information even I have read about this many times but it was so many years ago and I haven’t really seriously tried bankroll management and it shows in my results every now and again.

These advices written above seem to be very good and explaining the reasons behind the chosen numbers is what makes these quality advices. Anyone can copy and paste some numbers here but basically everyone of these posts have quality arguments ��

So thanks for everyone who gave some numbers with words that make sense to anyone who have even the basic knowledge of these things. This should help me a lot in the future especially if I have interest to play more regularly ��

D

Dhendrixon

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
What everyone above has said. Minimum of 30 buys ins should be a must to start.

Bankroll Building - Bankroll Management