Bad run

Q

QAD22

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
how do you get over a constant run of bad beats?

Spaceman

Spaceman

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
First you need to study to see if there were really bad beats or maybe it was your fault and it was bad plays. Which happens often enough.

Posting hands here on CC will help rule that out. Afterwards if you were really playing good, and it was indeed a run of bad beats, then it was a run of bad beats. Variance is a big factor in poker and depending on what games you play can be bigger. But excersizing a good bankroll management will be all the best that you can do. Dont try to move up and chasing losses.

Q

QAD22

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks for the reply.... gets frustrating at times.

walluyo

walluyo

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Go away from your monitoring... Take a fresh air

blueskies

blueskies

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Once you get to a point where you are angry, just quit. There will be another day, try again then.

There is nothing you can do about luck. Once the chips are in, luck is in charge.

E

eggtart

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
All you can do is look at your decision making. Was it the best move at the time? What could I have done different? How could I have improved?

This Fish Chums

This Fish Chums

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Bad Runs Don't Mandate Future Bad Beats

The most important thing to realize is that a run of bad beats does not mean that run is going to continue. Whether you play the next day you you play the next hand, your odds of getting another bad beat remain identical. What changes is your mood about playing. If you go on tilt after a bad beat, then yeah, stop playing for the day. However, if you think you don't go on tilt after a bad beat then it is safe to continue playing that day, but only after you get the bad beat out of your mind. If you are thinking of the bad beat, even if it's trying to analyze how you could have played better, then you are focusing on the bad beat and not on your competition or how well you are playing. This is going to cause you to fall into more bad beats. But either way, the odds of getting another bad beat do change based on a string of bad beats, the odds change based on your mood and your focus on the table and not on the previous bad beats.

johnny tigre

johnny tigre

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Take a break. Bad runs comes and go. good runs usually follows after :)

R

redmast

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'm taking a break from the game. To calm down and see what I did wrong.

K

kygamblr09

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In my opinion. There is no such thing as a BAD beat. However you just simply got BEAT. Since i have been playing poker i have heard this term used many times over and i simply dont understand it. We all know what is being described as a BAD beat so i dont need to say it. I feel and once again i feel that noone takes into acount that we are all dealt 2 cards for a reason . So we all have a fair chance of winning. No matter what my 2 starting cards are they still can beat your 2 cards. I dont care what 2 cards you have and why you raised , limped, went all in . I choose to play my 2 cards the way i want win or loose. Factors maybe fatigue, boredom, alcohol induced, smoking induced for some, irritations from previous hands, etc...
So no matter if you ahead or im drawing to a straight or flush . These are my 2 cards and i play them how i may when i may. So if i get lucky and beat you when im behind guess what you just got BEAT . Quit getting upset and no the site isnt rigged just against you nor are you the only one who gets there AA BEAT . I see it typed all the time and just remember any 2 cards can get beat at any time no matter how you play them. So for me there is no such thing as a BAD beat

R

rmcneice

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I tend to go back and replay the hand with the question knowing what I know now what would/should I have done differently.

For instance, use a probe bet or larger bet to change the odds, etc.

That will help refine the play when similar situations come up again.

Just calling it a bad beat or saying that's poker insures you will not improve your play.

HK_47

HK_47

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If it was a real bad beat or cooler (Pair over pair preflop with justifiable circumstances, or a 4 to 1 chance of winning on an allin flop) I usually just make a heavy sigh and have a severe case of temporary turrets. But realistically if you get stressed out (BE HONEST) sometimes it's best to just take the rest of the day off for your mental health, this game wasn't made with mental health in mind.

S

Sorin Iliescu

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
1. have a large bankroll
2. make sure it were bad beats and no mistakes
3. bad beats happen from time to time and we cannot do anything about it but fold, the thing is you cannot predict it and if you fold, in the long term you will lose money

PaxMundi

PaxMundi

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You just have to play through it and a short break can help recharge the batteries.Also dropping down stakes to gain some confidence back while riding out the storm can help as'well.Variance wont know that you dropped down stakes. ;)

cskwin

cskwin

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Many cases we come to a decision in calling hands with judging players rather than the board and get bad beat. It is for a fact tricky to understand online players. Better suggestion here is to take a break and read more and watch some videos when you get bad beat in a row of three to 5 games. do some other activity and refresh your mind and come back to play. end of the day its game of skill and too much mind involved. best luck.

DougPkrMonsta

DougPkrMonsta

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If losing with the best hand bothers you, then you should take a break for a while. It is hard to play your best when you are thinking about how unlucky you have been.

Poker isn't going anywhere... when you are over it, then come back fresh and try again.

Better luck next time! :D

UberRogue

UberRogue

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I tend to take breaks and do other things. Review hands you should have won.

Post some hands in the hand review section and see what others would recommend.

es530

es530

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Time teaches that these things are part of it so you have to understand this to continue in a healthy way.

TeUnit

TeUnit

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You can do several things: you can try to play through the variance, you can take a break, or you can slow down and really review your games.

One important thing to consider the better you are ie the higher your roi the less variance you will experience.

Miguel Chacon

Miguel Chacon

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
I usually take a break and start analysing my hands and check if it was really a bad run or was my mistake sometimes when you get frustrated you start to think about recovering the money no you must feel good if you made the right move or play however you want to call the result should be no important like I always say "I rather to lose doing the correct play that win doing the incorrect move " that phrase also helps me because is almost impossible not to get angry when yo have QQ and go all in close to cash in the tournament and some crazy player call with 22 and beats you it just happened to me a couple of days hehehehe xD ... Hope this comment helps you good luck!

jus7_play3r

jus7_play3r

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Lead analyzes and statistics for players to avoid this. Hold'em Manager or a similar program there are particular about using the code easier to understand what each can hold in your hand! Success !

C

CallmeFloppy

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think it is good to run your bad beats through on an odds calculator. Sometimes you are not as far ahead as you thought you were. Combine this with evaluating how the hand played out and you may get a new perspective on how to play these hands in the future.

With that said, bad beats are a part of the game and we all get our run of them from time to time. If you find that you are changing your play strictly from the fear of being hit with a bad beat, you may want to consider taking a break from the game for a bit.

AlexStar1981

AlexStar1981

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's variance. She's fickle. We just need to wait it out. Play tight, control emotions, do not fall into the tilt.

R

RounderRob

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Bad runs come with the game.. Patience Daniel San!!