Bad beats and variance,

Z

Zuuchini

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Its a geeks game...:icon_cycl The bad beats are allways high when you play less, and decrease when you play more, a lot more :pcguru:, because of the variance in %. When the variance, (bad beats) hits you often you play to few games. Thats why you should play many tables at he time. And when the medias tells us about great players is it a big scam, they dont tell you how much you have to play to make it worth playing. Let say you are playing online tournaments only one or two at the time. Then you are depending on luck a great deal. And the examples they tell you about are allmost allways high stake live poker.:dancing2:Is that for real?! I belive you need to play at least 15-30 tournaments per day, online, to make it worth the effort. And when the poker coaches tells us about great features that works. What they dont tell you is that it only works while playing many games over a long peiod of time, or? So who is laughing all the way to the bank? :party:

U

UncleConRon

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My opinion

I agree probability is the way to go. It isn't as good on-line for better or worse. Those that don't know probability can win.

This Fish Chums

This Fish Chums

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thats why you should play many tables at he time. I belive you need to play at least 15-30 tournaments per day, online, to make it worth the effort.

Well, I don't know that I agree with this. First, playing many tables at a time is a skill that has to be developed. I've been playing online quite a while and my game drastically tanks if I play 3 tables at a time. Plus, you can't be taking much advantage of note taking or table observing skills playing many tables at the same time.
Second, the number of tournaments you play would depend on the amount you think is need to win to "make it worth it" vs. the size of your bankroll. If you're looking to pull in a $100 a day then there's about no way to pull that off playing with a $50 bankroll (assuming you're using proper bankroll management).

Now, if you have the skills to play many tables at once then yeah, you should. But for someone learning poker it would be a big mistake to jump into the multi-table game right away.

L

Ltech

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My bad beats

When i encounter a bad beat i try to analise the hand and dont get into tilt mode :)...playing more tables helps me focus on another situations ...but a bad beat on a important tournament makes you sad...Hope for a better future is what gides me.

J

John bruce

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When i encounter a bad beat i try to analise the hand and dont get into tilt mode :)...playing more tables helps me focus on another situations ...but a bad beat on a important tournament makes you sad...Hope for a better future is what gides me.
That's why its a bad beat. You shouldn't be able to do anything about it. Luck prevailed skill. That's a bad beat. A coin toss all in isn't really a bad beat. A,a against 6,9 off would be. Just poker. Only thing I'll admit is that online poker has more beats more often. But that's a opinion.

M

molokheia

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi there
I posted a thread "LUCK???"
Obviously the sites wont tell you that you have to lose so many times before
you make a good game
This will disencourage newcomers to play. On the contrary They, and the medias, will tell you that your trip to Havai is possible winning on poker
Rgds

Amanda A

Amanda A

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I could never play that many tourneys. I don't really understand, is the goal to min cash in many tourneys? Aren't you better off concentrating on a few tourneys at a time, or even one and getting better results and cashing for a higher amount? I just know if I spread myself too thin I'd end up not cashing a all and it wouldn't have anything to do with variance :) Maybe others are more skilled at multitasking.