AQ in this board? What I have to do?

P

PedroFXD95

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
AQ in the button with the board QKK against one strong player, what can I do? I raised 3x pre flop and he just called from the cut off. He has 40BBs and I have 23BBs

T

Thenightrain

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think you have to bet after the flop, I'd say 2/3 of the pot. If he calls I'd proceed with caution, if he re-raise 3 or 4 x your bet I'd walk away - if they stay in the hand they more than likely have you crushed.

The other option would be check fold to a raise but you do risk being bluffed of the hand.

Depends on if by strong you mean tight, in which case they're probably calling your pre-flop raise with a premium hand. If you mean they're a good player they're range will be wider so you could be up against mid pairs / suited connectors etc.

RidersFan

RidersFan

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
By raising 3x with your stack size, you've put your self in a spot. Betting isn't really an option against a strong competent player as if you face a raise your hand plays poorly even in position. I would check back the flop, knowing he will be almost any turn, call turn and re-evaluate on the river but most likely calling a brick river.

PokerNuts01

PokerNuts01

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Need more information mate.. you position, tournament stage and what is "strong player" for you? :) Villain may call u with any pair, Ax, Kx.. without reraise before flop i think that u have best hand but play with caution.

M

MountHollyDK

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Lots of checking man. If you didn't want a call, you should start with a 5x raise or higher. Your bet of 3x and your post flop hesitancy are running counter to themselves. Also, is this a $100/$200 NL game or $0.1/$0.2? Somewhere in between? Say what you will about pot odds but if you raised 6 cents into the pot I'd call it cause, well, it's 6 cents. If your 3x range was for $600 or $60,000 then that's a whole different ball of wax. No matter what you want to think the value of $1 is not remotely the same to all people.

Anyway, with AQ into a flop of AKK either make one bet and see if the villain folds or just check it down and fold. You probably have the best hand but there are a lot of good hands he could have an many more draws. Best case you win a small pot, but a disaster in this situation is equally likely. Just live to fight another hand later.

S

Samuel Kollapso

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Would I have to analyze the hand before the flop, all limp? Did you raise and he pay? Did you reappear? The pre-flop would help to make a better reading of the hand, and position better on the plays.

wilpinsi

wilpinsi

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would drop the hand without problems because your opponent may have a K, or QQ
Not worth risking falling from the tournament because you received AQ, wait another opportunity, I believe that this table killed you, appearing QKK on the flop

darkassassin89

darkassassin89

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It is always good to post as much information about your game as possible.

Here is an example

https://www.cardschat.com/forum/cash-game-hand-analysis-50/2-nlhe-full-ring-fold-jj-341831/

Hand History:

$0.01/$0.02 No Limit Holdem
pokerstars
8 Players
Hand Conversion Powered by WeakTight Poker Hand History Converter

Stacks:
UTG ($3.60) 180bb
UTG+1 ($4.44) 222bb
MP1 ($2) 100bb
MP2 ($2.07) 104bb
CO ($2.08) 104bb
BTN ($2.25) 113bb
SB Hero ($1.28) 64bb
BB ($2.77) 139bb

Pre-Flop: (0.03, 8 players) Hero is SB :Js: :Jh:
5 folds, BTN raises to $0.05, Hero calls $0.04, BB calls $0.03
Flop: :Th: ($0.15, 3 players)

Hero bets $0.07, BB calls $0.07, BTN folds

Turn: ($0.29, 2)
Hero checks, BB bets $0.14, Hero calls $0.14 River: ($0.57, 2)

Hero checks, BB bets $0.55, Hero folds

Final Pot: $1.12

BB wins $1.10 (net +$0.29)

BTN lost $0.05
Hero lost $0.26

I took this from a post from the hand analysis thread. If you do not have a way to track your hands then try your best to make your hand look similar to the above.

Good luck!

Drhat63

Drhat63

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Great example there, not enough information based on the orig post... You can only find out if the opponent has the K by betting, lol. I don't might a check to induce a bluff on 4th or 5th, but you have to be pretty certain to look em up with on both streets.

MissMtnDewAQ

MissMtnDewAQ

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'd toss out a feeler of like 1/2 to 2/3 pot to see what he does.
If he has the K, chances are he is going to re-raise you or snap call.
I wouldn't shove seeing as he may very well be holding that K.
Good Luck!

A

anitapass4bet

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree with tossing out a feeler bet.. Will let you know where you are at!

BriceNice

BriceNice

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
While there is merit in betting flop, checking turn and evaluating river, I say bet flop, bet turn and take the free river.

paulinhlt

paulinhlt

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You should c-bet in this case. To make him pay worse than yours.

He may have paid your 3x with 99 TT JJ, enjoy to hit this board.

Marcos mats

Marcos mats

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you observed him well during the game you will have this answer,

Betting everything pre flop involves luck as well and the fact that you have almost half the BBs of the villain is not very advisable to pay ok!

We are together!
😎👊

fred_antunes

fred_antunes

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You should c-bet in this case or raise if opponent open.

brucevilanch

brucevilanch

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
If you observed him well during the game you will have this answer,

Betting everything pre flop involves luck as well and the fact that you have almost half the BBs of the villain is not very advisable to pay ok!

We are together!
😎👊
I would have checked back and played it slow. Maybe would have bet the turn, just to see where they were at.

eberetta1

eberetta1

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
If i toss out a feeler bet on the flop, i put out the same bet on the turn and on the river. Sometimes it isn't until the river when they thankfully fold.