Anyone with an MTG playing background here?

Spannerdeth

Spannerdeth

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I am new to poker and I've loved studying and playing this game so far. The reason I ask is that I've essentially put my resources and time from one game into this one. I used to play MTG competitively (being very good at drafting in particular) and I developed a strong mental game to variance in those years. I felt burnt out by the lack of 'limited' tournaments in that game that didn't reward my time of practice and study so I decided to play poker for a fresh game of variance. I love it!

Is there many poker streamers playing on twitch? There was an MTG player called 'BenS' who was fantastic at talking through all of his decision making articulatley and treating every single decision with respect. Is there any poker players like that? It may aid my learning!

Thank you very much, I'm loving this website.

thatguy6793

thatguy6793

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hey welcome to CC! There's a lot of resources to use to learn poker nowadays thanks to the increase in support for the game. On the forum itself there's a lot of learning material and you can always post any questions you have and get a lot of feedback. There's also the become a winning poker player course CC offers for free which you should absolutely check out. In terms of twitch there's a few streamers that do provide a lot of teaching during their streams that I like to watch on occasion and that's Lex Veldhuis and Jaime Staples. Both are pretty good players and both will usually explain their strategy or answer questions you ask in the chat. I'd recommend checking both of them out. Best of luck to you and hope to see you around!

Spannerdeth

Spannerdeth

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thank you!

The recent changing UK gambling advertising laws made it difficult to find any streamers or poker content on youtube or twitch but that seems to have eased up this month, I'l check both of them out :)

Evan Jarvis

Evan Jarvis

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I am new to poker and I've loved studying and playing this game so far. The reason I ask is that I've essentially put my resources and time from one game into this one. I used to play MTG competitively (being very good at drafting in particular) and I developed a strong mental game to variance in those years. I felt burnt out by the lack of 'limited' tournaments in that game that didn't reward my time of practice and study so I decided to play poker for a fresh game of variance. I love it!

Is there many poker streamers playing on twitch? There was an MTG player called 'BenS' who was fantastic at talking through all of his decision making articulatley and treating every single decision with respect. Is there any poker players like that? It may aid my learning!

Thank you very much, I'm loving this website.

Welcome to the community! You've picked a great group to join!

To answer your question, YES there are many great players streaming poker on Twitch who break down their thought process to help people learn (sunday is an especially good day for that)

And being good at magic will give you a big edge in poker. Many great poker players like Justin Bonomo, Isaac Haxton, Tony Greg, Bryn Kenney and David Williams to name a few have a background in Magic the Gathering.

Google them if you want to see how much they've won ;)

Feel free to drop by my stream sometime, be great to meet you in chat!

Spannerdeth

Spannerdeth

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Welcome to the community! You've picked a great group to join!

To answer your question, YES there are many great players streaming poker on Twitch who break down their thought process to help people learn (sunday is an especially good day for that)

And being good at magic will give you a big edge in poker. Many great poker players like Justin Bonomo, Isaac Haxton, Tony Greg, Bryn Kenney and David Williams to name a few have a background in Magic the Gathering.

Google them if you want to see how much they've won ;)

Feel free to drop by my stream sometime, be great to meet you in chat!

I've seen Bonomo, Haxton and David Williams on old episodes of 'The Big Game' on Youtube, that's a neat tidbit. I'll check out your stream sometime :)