Another geek trying to figure out this game

S

Smurfette

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi there,

since I like to analyse and solve problems in the comforts of my home, I figured online poker might be the right hobby for me, and perhaps it will turn into an income source.

I started about a month ago, and I'm currently playing Zoom on pokerstars. I chose this format since it seems to have fewer variables (than regular cash games or tournaments), so should be a good first step on the way to "cracking the code".

Iryna Stryzheuskaya

Iryna Stryzheuskaya

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
I always thought that regular tables are lighter than zoom.

chicopaw

chicopaw

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
myself i find the zoom tournys are for more advanced players Learning to plat wth patience in games can lead to great rewards and it is definitly harder with zoom games when your decisions must be made far quicker

S

Smurfette

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Thank you for the warm welcome. To clarify, I play Zoom Cash, not Zoom Tournaments (didn't even know that was a thing).

antonis32123

antonis32123

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
Welcome Smurfette to CardsChat , the best online forum .
I also play zoom 5nl (9 max , 6max I am not good I must admit ) , at low buy ins fish exist and it's a good way to enjoy poker the fast way , with no long delays , fast poker is my favourite , but in higher limits sharks are dangerous . Nowadays I want to find some extra new cash games to be good at and play .

Good luck Smurfette at the tables .

R

ricardibreezer

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't think zoom is an accurate reflection on real poker at all. The range of hands you play, & come up against, gets very tight. At a live game or regular online table, for me the skill is working out your opponents range - which will change depending on various factors such as; is he tilting, short stacked? Big stack? Does he have a super wide range in button and tight from blinds/early? And these factors are ever changing.

With zoom in my experience i find all of the above to be negated and much of the pots can be coolers of AA vs KK etc. Imo regular speed 6 or 9 max tables will define your skillset better for the poker world.

Stonerkitten

Stonerkitten

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Welcome to poker :)

I wouldn't start with Zoom if I were a complete beginner. I feel there is more chances to learn when playing regular poker.
But if that's what you're doing and you have actually been making money and not losing then you must be doing something right!

nopainnogain

nopainnogain

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm not used to play cash zoom but it must be a very fun game.I play only freerools zoom format and snap at 888.

Stonerkitten

Stonerkitten

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm not used to play cash zoom but it must be a very fun game.I play only freerools zoom format and snap at 888.

It is fun and fast paced. You have to play tight or its easy to lose a lot. I like to play zoom when I've only got time to play an hour or less of poker.

P

ps_komaklos

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi and welcome.
I think both formats are more or less the same, regular or Zoom tables. In Zoom you play more Hands, so you can win or loose faster. May be there are more regs because of that.
Im still playing on regular tables because i think i get to know the other players a faster, e.g. when i play 50 hands on a table i can figure out against whom im playing.

8bod8

8bod8

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Zoom / snap or whatever it is called almost eliminates the 'opponent read/range' from the equations, especially at free/micro levels.
I agree, provided you know some basics, zoom/snap is good practice; in my case: to play TAG.
But, as others have said:
- the real beginner will get lost
- in regular free/micro games your skill can give you a larger edge than in zoom

Top 10 Games