Another beginner question

N

Notsure55

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hey, this is my first post and this website and forum have been pretty helpful so far so I appreciate that.

I'm a novice player, very new to the game and I've only been researching and playing for fake money on games.com for about a month.

I'm sure this question has been asked before so I apologize in advance if an identical thread has already been covered but do you have any advice on where I should start looking, researching, reading and practicing to get good at online poker?

My goal is to make $500-$1000 a month and to learn everything there is to the mathematics side of Texas Hold Em as I'm more of a statistics kind of guy.

If you could name websites, books and online (fake money) games that offer tournaments that are similar to the popular sites for beginners, that would be great. Like I said I've looked through most of this site, a book called the Intelligence Guide to Poker (2003), and played a few hours on that games.com site.

I realize I'm up against extremely experienced and skilled players when I go into the real money aspect but I'm pretty sure I want to get vested into this as I enjoy it and would like to make some extra cash in the long run.

Thanks.

T

Tosh_67

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I love the boldness of your ambition ! $500-$1000 a month ! .... Nothing wrong with having big targets...

With regards to research and reading I'd suggest trawling you tube for clips from the top players et al... I dunno bout books I'm sure reading them will help but just jump in on whatever sites you are eligible for and learn in the arena so to speak... The biggest lessons you learn from Poker won't come from any book you read, they'll come from seeing some bully depriving you of all your chips... Understanding the pure mathematics of poker will surely be a help but don't forget you need to be able to bluff sometimes when you hold absolutely nothing in your hand, I'm not sure that is a skill that can be taught... Probably the reason I'm writing this post and not on the TV making big bucks !

Good luck in your quest !

T

theevildub

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree. Ive played poker (5 card) my whole life since i was 3 and my grandparents used to play it with my parents. Six years ago i began to really learn Texas Hold Em, and that has been an ongoing challenge ever since. Ive read books, watched endless youtube videos and poker after dark episodes, played many many cash games, tournaments, etc. As the previous poster said, the more experience you have playing the game, the better. If there was one way to make an easy $500 - $1000 a month playing poker, everyone would be doing it. But since it isnt as easy as it looks, you need to do your homework, and put in your time before you start seeing the big picture. Just like with Golf, or learning how to play an instrument. There really are no shortcuts. You might be able to swing a club really good ... but can you hit a 30 yard flopshot 70 yards straight up into the air and apply backspin to it so that it hits the green on the way down and comes rolling back towards you ?? Probably not without a few lessons and a LOT of practice.

The funny thing about poker, is that the numbers and percentages are REALLY easy to learn. Once you understand how these numbers work, then you will start to see the game in a completely different way. Its not so much about the numbers, as much as it is about reading your opponents, and knowing when to gamble.

It poker is your passion, it wont seem like work. If your only goal is to make $$$, the game may frustrate you and you may not enjoy it. Learn to LOVE the game & it will be good to you. (well, most of the time, lol)

Good Luck on your Journey !

N

Notsure55

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks for the responses.

I came up with the numbers 500-1000 only cause a couple friends of mine claim they make $3000 a month on online poker and another guy I know says he makes up to $100,000 a year in tournaments all around the country. Whether or not they are exaggerating these numbers are up to debate. I'd be fine with making a couple hundred dollars a month if that is impressive for anyone.

But regardless, I do want to commit being a good player and hopefully making a little money someday and hopefully not losing too much from the start. That's what I'm worried about. On the other side of the spectrum I've had a friend who was supposedly $10000 in debt from online poker so I obviously don't want to turn out like that.

I'll start looking online for videos and keep reading up and practicing . The only thing that concerns me with the site I'm practicing is that the blinds are very relatively small to what you start with, I think 2BB and you start out with 500 credits. So basically you have no reason to fold when you have a poor hand. And most importantly, since it's fake money every player is extremely loose aggressive and goes all in all the time so I think it will be a completely different strategy to learn when you transition into the real money games. But I'm still going to keep on playing it since I'm sure it gives you an understanding of how many hands you will probably win/lose and gives you some sort of sense of the betting aspect.

Hopefully I'll be ready in about a month to start betting real money. My only goal at first is to not lose hundreds of dollars the first week I start ha.

Thanks again.

N

Notsure55

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks for the responses.

I came up with the numbers 500-1000 only cause a couple friends of mine claim they make $3000 a month on online poker and another guy I know says he makes up to $100,000 a year in tournaments all around the country. Whether or not they are exaggerating these numbers are up to debate. I'd be fine with making a couple hundred dollars a month if that is impressive for anyone.

But regardless, I do want to commit being a good player and hopefully making a little money someday and hopefully not losing too much from the start. That's what I'm worried about. On the other side of the spectrum I've had a friend who was supposedly $10000 in debt from online poker so I obviously don't want to turn out like that.

I'll start looking online for videos and keep reading up and practicing . The only thing that concerns me with the site I'm practicing is that the blinds are very relatively small to what you start with, I think 2BB and you start out with 500 credits. So basically you have no reason to fold when you have a poor hand. And most importantly, since it's fake money every player is extremely loose aggressive and goes all in all the time so I think it will be a completely different strategy to learn when you transition into the real money games. But I'm still going to keep on playing it since I'm sure it gives you an understanding of how many hands you will probably win/lose and gives you some sort of sense of the betting aspect.

Hopefully I'll be ready in about a month to start betting real money. My only goal at first is to not lose hundreds of dollars the first week I start ha.

Thanks again.

Sam Carter

Sam Carter

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
John Anhalt's "Polished poker" is a good book.
What about other ways - you can use different software that can be helpful too.
For example Leak Buster helps to find leaks and gives advices how to prevent them in future. Another good spft is ace poker drills. It's a kind of poker quiz for learning odds and outs, equity, and pre-flop play.

John A

John A

Poker Zion Coach
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yeah... I mean ace poker drills has a free odds and outs trainer. It's a good place to start.

http://acepokerdrills.com

Just join some threads on here and work hard. Earning consistent money at holdem isn't super easy anymore though. So I'd just focus on making good decisions and don't worry about the money goals. They will just hold you back mentally.

P

Poker247

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree with the ideas above. Be prepared to spend some time away from the table reading and watch videos. For sure, start playing freerolls where you can to at least start getting some experience without spending any bankroll (keep in mind that the first few levels of freerolls are more like Bingo than real poker...when 1/2 the players are gone, it becomes similar to cash tourneys). I also would start playing micros once you have money (either through freerolls or deposit). Start small, work hard to improve your game off the table, and get as much experience as you can. Evaluate your play as you get better and figure out your strengths and weaknesses. Gl!

A

Ak7blind

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
i also started with low stack i play now 1/2 euro daily. in my beginnings i used no software, but getting more and more professional its very usefull if you have statistics about your game. you can optimize you play and see whats wrong. In software i can recommend poker office and also the hhsmithy hand history downloader. If you have some hands of your opponents you have a little advantage.

Also very good is the neo poker bot, you can train online for free with human intelligence etc. its a learning computer. you can play/train 6-max cash games as well as heads up poker.

:icon_bigs :icon_bigs :icon_bigs

coolDadJimbo

coolDadJimbo

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
first, you have to be realistic....

playing play money for a month and now u expect to make 1000$/month? crazy and delusional....

like people have said, poker takes years of experience and a lot of homework.... i wouldn't expect to make any money the first 2 years... a realistic goal is to breakeven after a year or so and to see signs of improvement... in order to read what an opponent is thinking, you have to have been in that spot and had those thoughts a 100 times.... this takes a lot of playing...

also, play money isn't real poker... i admit, i did play alot of play money during my first year and it has it's value.... which is lots of hands... but, if you can afford to grind out the .01$/.02$ cash games you can learn a lot more.... most players are level 0 or level 1 thinkers, but so will you be for awhile... (some may argue that .01$/.02$ is not real either.... but, it is the best place to start....)

my advice would be: have realistic goals.... if you said you wanted to make 500-1000$ after 2 years of playing, that may be more realistic...

also, don't be discouraged.... it is a long-term game... if you love it, then live it and learn it and be patient (the most important attribute of a good poker player, imo)...

after about 18 months of playing/learining i am a breakeven player, showing a small ROI... i have put in hours and hours and hours of "homework" watching videos, reading blogs, books, forums, etc, etc... i can see improvement in my game and get a thrill that i haven't had to deposit in ages.... i'm happy that i have a hobby that pays for itself and is challenging.... i still get excited winning a $1.00 pot!! and get crushed losing a $1.00 pot..... my wife thinks it's hilarious when i start talking about a guy raising me .50$ like its outrageous.... lol

i am glad i discovered poker.... i used to play online chess, but poker has so much more to it that i think about it a lot... i really enjoy the game and have no illusions of making an income from it..... i have a very loose goal of improving and moving up stakes according to proper BRM...

anyways, welcome to CC and good luck!! visting this site daily will improve your game and expose you to some great ideas....

coolJim

makisaa

makisaa

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
The trilogy of poker is psycology, maths, and luck, with this row. Of course experiences have great value!

N

Notsure55

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks everyone for the detailed responses. I will def check out all the books and sites you recommended. I like the sound of the Ace Poker Drills too. That sounds like right up my alley.

I only came up with the $500 to $1000 number because a couple friends of mine claim they make $3000 a month playing online poker and another one says he earns $100,000 a year doing tournaments. Whether it's true or a gross exaggeration is up for debate. But then again on the other spectrum one of my friends said he lost $10,000 playing so I guess it has to go the other way too.

I won't expect to win anything at first or expect to earn any income playing. I'll treat it as a hobby and start with the very small money games, $.01/.02. I was also concerned that the type of play with the fake money game I'm doing is totally different than the cash games. I would expect most players are extremely loose-aggressive and do not represent the type of experienced tight players you would find in a real cash game. So I guess you just have to put your hat into the ring and get real experience with the money games as soon as I have the underlining basics of the game.

I guess there is no mathematical trick to win money which is what I was worried about so I'll be wise starting out and lower my expectations and be patient. Thanks again.