Amanda Botfeld discusses weak-passive poker

AllenKll

AllenKll

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I saw a lesson where the Collin and Katie talk about raising because your hand has no showdown value. And this I think is a more applicable lesson to the hand example shown in the article.

That and just knowing your outs and calculating odds. on the flop, James had and incredible 18 outs. If James understood he was the statistical favorite, he would be value betting the whole way down.

Leave out the lesson about semi-bluffing and raising pre-flop, it's all about value betting a hand that is the statistical favorite to win.

It's a good article that brings up some quality points about calling as a leak, but the example, I think, misses the mark.

Polytarp

Polytarp

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
My tuppence:
"So, what is the most passive action in poker? Calling."
disagree - lurking in the weeds, feeling out a player in a game of chicken...
..the most passive "action" is the one requiring the least thought and least initiative
Consider playing quads or better..your actions are skewed to maximizing your gain exclusively without consideration to the safety of your bankroll or continued survival in the game. Calling increases equity and creates a honey pot.

Folding takes great discipline and is often the sign of a seasoned player. -disagree
..a player folding repeatedly can mean a tight player or a cash player who is multi-tabling 30 games - there is no real discipline here except metrics but can be a sign of a seasoned player if you can look them up and discover that fact. Folding must be taken into context along with assessed card range, bluffs..etc..perhaps an elaboration on the term "seasoned?"

You may find it interesting that checking is labeled as neutral.
Neutral or meta-stable?...checking in the wrong place or at the wrong time can spell disaster. This "action" can either lose you a pot or it can safeguard a win or mitigate a loss..though not a big one. For me such an action is context dependent and can be an inflection point..f(x)''=0 with an associated "if then..(computer CASE construct)" of the hand being played out.

Last edited:
okeedokalee

okeedokalee

Glory To Ukraine
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
NZ
Chips
Excellent article Shellz, Tommy Angelo writes valuably on the art of folding in the Elements of Poker. I read it several times before I truly understood the art of folding correctly.