Always "all-in" preflop with pocket AA's?

Dokuja

Dokuja

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I know it is conventional wisdom to go all-in preflop with pocket AA's. However, I'm beginning to wonder, depending on position. If I am just after the BB, I almost never get a call. Okay for just a modest raise, when in the first 2 positions after the BB? What do you think?

blumpton

blumpton

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't mean to be rude. But are you saying you shove regardless of pot size or blind size or anything? I don't think thats a great way to play aces. Unless your shove looks weak. I.e. heads up from the small blind or from the button. I'm not surprised people dont call. A out of the blue shove from an early position looks very strong.

Debi

Debi

Forum Admin
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It is not conventional wisdom to go all in with AA preflop. I don't know if you play tournaments or cash but it isn't the right play most of the time in either.

You can't have an across the board strategy for playing any hand. It depends on position, stack sizes, blind levels, how the other players play etc.

T-Dubs82

T-Dubs82

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
yeah, quite a few variables go in to that decision

the lab man

the lab man

CardsChat Irregular
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It is not conventional wisdom to go all in with AA preflop. I don't know if you play tournaments or cash but it isn't the right play most of the time in either.

You can't have an across the board strategy for playing any hand. It depends on position, stack sizes, blind levels, how the other players play etc.

What she said^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

You give us no idea of what type of poker you are playing... and you are losing serious chips/money if you are playing this way:confused:

IntenseHeat

IntenseHeat

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
A-A is the one hand that I am trying to get all my chips in with pre-flop. That doesn't mean open shoving. If I'm holding A-Q and you open shove, I'm going to think to myself as I fold, "I hope he just wasted Aces". I play tight, so I'm generally raising 3x + 1x for each limper in front of me with most hands I play. That includes A-A. While you don't want to open shove and risk not getting any value out of them, you don't want to limp in or min raise and end up playing the pot with half of the table. For each player that comes into the pot your chances of having those Aces cracked rises significantly. You should be raising at least 3x + 1x per limper to try to limit the number of players in the pot. If the pot is raised in front of you, you should 3-bet. If it's 3-bet, you should 4-bet until you are sure that your man isn't folding or that there are enough chips in the pot to satisfy you, then, and only then, should you be shoving.

Last edited:
jesseg

jesseg

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There are some common scenarios where calling pre-flop with AA instead of 3-betting can be preferable.

If you're in the blinds facing a single raise, and your stacks are extremely deep, then you're just building a big pot out of position where you aren't able to get the SPR low enough to avoid giving your opponent huge implied odds with a lot of hands. In this situation, the deep stacks make your positional disadvantage more important of a consideration than your cards.

Another common spot is when you're in early position facing an early position raise. Suppose in a 9-handed game UTG open raises, and you're in UTG+1 or UTG+2 with AA. Unless your ranges are balanced well, 3-betting here will often get even KK to fold against a lot of decent opponents in small stakes games. Calling is often a superior option.

jazzaxe

jazzaxe

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
For cash games, I will push my stack when I am reraised. It generally is best to only do this preflop. Any pair gets weaker on each next street, so that by fifth unimproved you are looking at a weak hand to consider an all in bet especially against a paired board, connected cards or three suited cards on board. All in as the first in after the deal will seldom get a call and basically wins you the blinds.

R

RamdeeBen

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I know it is conventional wisdom to go all-in preflop with pocket AA's. However, I'm beginning to wonder, depending on position. If I am just after the BB, I almost never get a call. Okay for just a modest raise, when in the first 2 positions after the BB? What do you think?

Open jaming or shoving over anyone who raises or limps is just bad.

It really depends on stack sizes and what the avg BB stack is, because if you get 2 limpers or a raier whatever and you're all 100bb deep then shoving all-in, whilst being profitble is never going to be the optimal move.

Just raise to a size based on villians stack sizes.

G

goodhandluke

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
also depends on how any people are already in the pot, shipping it with aces when 8 ppl are in the hand isnt such a good play

N

nkrijeka

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
for what it's worth, the all in worked its magic on me. i was BB with 10/4o. villain on button went all in, i folded. rabbit = would have hit two pair on the flop!

duggs

duggs

Killing me softly
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
conventional wisdom is dont fold AA preflop

snklzona

snklzona

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
AA although always nice sometimes it seems it is a win small or
lose big situation if not played right...

Daniel72

Daniel72

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Wasn´t there an interesting famous wsop AA vs. JJ hand between Affleck and Duhamel, where it would have been better to put it all-in pre-flop with Aces ? Instead Affleck wanted to induce action, the board was ugly and he paid the prize...

dadsrus

dadsrus

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
its wiser to see the flop and not get cracked on a preflop shove in my opinion slow playing aces can make more profit then shove and pray

Kenzie 96

Kenzie 96

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
for what it's worth, the all in worked its magic on me. i was BB with 10/4o. villain on button went all in, i folded. rabbit = would have hit two pair on the flop!

Prolly should just go ahead & take credit for a great pre flop fold. :cool:

Rappyness

Rappyness

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This is really a predicament for me because of whats been happening to me having pocket aces preflop and losing in the end with opponents rags. When you try and slow play it sometimes it bites you in the ass but when you all in with and some donk calls with rags and somehow hits them your also in trouble! Gah sometimes its just all about your luck!

Blobweird123

Blobweird123

CC's very own Dead Head
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
its wiser to see the flop and not get cracked on a preflop shove in my opinion slow playing aces can make more profit then shove and pray

Do not do not do not slow play aces. Play them Agressively. Doesnt mean insta shove but bet heavily

needaGF

needaGF

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Actually your action large depends on the situation, such as your position, your and your opponents' stack, the stage of the tourney or game and what your table image is. It is true that if you go all in UTG you will be most likely to get respect from others.

dadsrus

dadsrus

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Do not do not do not slow play aces. Play them Agressively. Doesnt mean insta shove but bet heavily
trappin can be a great way to get chips in tournys if your into playing that way as i do. i play AA's like most hands preflop i like to see the flop for a reasonable price and have had enough experince to know where there are pocket AA's there are sure to be other pocket pairs involved.but really it does depend on where ya are on the table and how deep ya are just my opion tho

BlackMoth5

BlackMoth5

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'd raise anywhere from 3BB+ depending on position and the dynamics of the table. I always shove or raise big if the flop yields a flush or straight draw so that any fishermen at the table have to fish expensively.

Blobweird123

Blobweird123

CC's very own Dead Head
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
trappin can be a great way to get chips in tournys if your into playing that way as i do. i play AA's like most hands preflop i like to see the flop for a reasonable price and have had enough experince to know where there are pocket AA's there are sure to be other pocket pairs involved.but really it does depend on where ya are on the table and how deep ya are just my opion tho

The only person you're trapping is yourself though. Your hand almost never gets better post flop. Every card they see is more outs for their draws. That's not to say we don't want them to call with draws alot, we do. But we want them to pay for every draw they chase. Otherwise what's the point?

CAMurray

CAMurray

CardsChat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Ideally you want to see a flop with opponents with other premium hands.

So given your reads, position, and game status/blind levels, bet whatever it takes to clear the field down to big pocket pairs or AK junkies.

Form my experience in lesser games like a $10-$30 BI, maybe 5x in pos.

In a "real game" or most deep ITM games, Id play them like any other playable hand and treat them no better than any PP.

If that TAG player UTG shoves post flop following the TK3 rainbow, I drop that shit like a cheating girlfriend.

:D

dadsrus

dadsrus

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The only person you're trapping is yourself though. Your hand almost never gets better post flop. Every card they see is more outs for their draws. That's not to say we don't want them to call with draws alot, we do. But we want them to pay for every draw they chase. Otherwise what's the point?
I totally agree with you. "survival " is the only word i can think of thanks for keeping my head in the right direction but sometimes in tournys i'll take what i can get with AA's and just add chips to my stack big pots or small im not always in a rush to have alll my chips in pre-flop or flop i like to see the river controling the pot early is something i try to do but ovb iously still learning cheers