All-in preflop with 99

jumaischi

jumaischi

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you have 99 or something smaller ,you would go all-in preflop or wait for something to hit?same question for TT ,JJ or above.....and one more thing....and how about being out of the position with those cards

Last edited:

63burner

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
in and out of position, stack size matters..

Your relative stack size determines a lot on a pre-flop all in with subprime pocket pairs.

Also, your knowledge of the other players tendencies, will they call anything I shove?

When you shove a small stack, the big stacks may shove back, just to narrow the field

You definitely want to be in position to shove pre-flop. It has maximum effect, when you lead off.

If you're known as a super tight player, your shove will be seen as, " must be shoving AA or KK."

walkkking

walkkking

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think if you want to win and play safe you need to limping and waiting. AK is call you and probably win. I am with little pair raise small and wait ,but if have a biggest raise i am fold.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It depends on your stack size, your position, action in front of you and the ICM-situation, if you are talking about tournament play.

ASMautoneJr

ASMautoneJr

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you have 99 or something smaller ,you would go all-in preflop or wait for something to hit?same question for TT ,JJ or above.....and one more thing....and how about being out of the position with those cards

this is a good question, i think it would depend on the moment of the tournament, it is difficult to decide or have a standard movement in these situations, it depends a lot on the tournament and the moment you are involved !!! that's the truth!

:pcguru:

Collin Moshman

Collin Moshman

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Here are a few types of situations where you would want to make different plays with 99 pre-flop.

A tight player raises UTG and you have 100bb. It's best to just call here to set-mine or try to play a small-medium pot on favorable flops like TT3.

Players you don't know well raise and reraise from early position. It's best to fold the 99 unless you're short-stacked.

A late position player raises and you have 20bb. It's best to shove pre-flop to win the amount in the middle or get it in with good equity against his range (i.e. a decent chance of winning at showdown).

tauri103

tauri103

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
it all depends on my stack and especially the blind. usually below 10 blind. it is all-in preflop with a pair of 99 or even more with a smaller one.

Jon Poker

Jon Poker

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Here are a few types of situations where you would want to make different plays with 99 pre-flop.

A tight player raises UTG and you have 100bb. It's best to just call here to set-mine or try to play a small-medium pot on favorable flops like TT3.

Players you don't know well raise and reraise from early position. It's best to fold the 99 unless you're short-stacked.

A late position player raises and you have 20bb. It's best to shove pre-flop to win the amount in the middle or get it in with good equity against his range (i.e. a decent chance of winning at showdown).

This explanation is spot on and I would expect nothing less from this guy. Doesnt get any better than this.

Just reiterating what was said here in shorter terms::

When we are deep facing an open raise, we can call and set mine. We need odds of 15:1 to do so profitably.

With a raise and 3bet in front of us- typically we are going to be behind enough for us to warrant the fold. When we do see the flop and it comes with 1 or 2 overcards we are going to be check/folding a ton and possibly folding out the best hand. No need to burn the chips in these spots.

Last when we are short it's easy to play hands like this. Sitting on 26bb or less - it's a great spot to rejam almost any pair profitably.

N

nellorossi83

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Your question isn not complete. It depends many things. Its a tournament? cashgame? how many players in table, yours stacks, blind level, how your opponents are playing, your position, previous bets. And what do you want? Everybody folds or do you wanna someone call?

thetick33

thetick33

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
as usual this is too vague

first thing is what is your table read? each person how likely are this group of players to call you if you raise or shove? position would be secondary to what you think of opponents and what you are trying to accomplish with your pockets.... do you want a double up is this a re enter or rebuy and did you expect to rebuy or re enter....

with position i would try to raise and see how many followers i had or if was reraised back etc... with pockets im looking to isolate when possible

out of position id most often try to set mine so call and call small raises etc...

i would toss in this situation

i raise i get next guy who re raised me then the next guy shoves say I had a couple callers to my act? so they still have to act after all this play id probably toss at that point unless was qq or better

rj_montana

rj_montana

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Great advice here from Colin. In example one you have everything to gain from calling and nothing to gain from re-raising. In example two you need to get out of the way because the original raiser can still come back over the top and force you out. And in example three you need to push the equity of the 99.

TheDude6622

TheDude6622

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Depends on your stack and the types of players. If there are a bunch of aggressive players and you're short stacked, I can definitely see a shove. If you're in a cash game, it's a raise and see what transpires with the other players. If they re-raise, you can kind of sense what they have and either call or fold.

Just remember, 9's have different equity in tournaments than cash games. Tournaments have a lot more variance with increasing blinds.

jumaischi

jumaischi

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think if you want to win and play safe you need to limping and waiting. AK is call you and probably win. I am with little pair raise small and wait ,but if have a biggest raise i am fold.
I agree with you! This is what I had in mind.

jumaischi

jumaischi

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Thank you for your comment...it is a great one...!I will take notes from here

jumaischi

jumaischi

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Your question isn not complete. It depends many things. Its a tournament? cashgame? how many players in table, yours stacks, blind level, how your opponents are playing, your position, previous bets. And what do you want? Everybody folds or do you wanna someone call?

I didn't think about it when I wrote this post....I usually play 2NL...and most of the time I want to see the flop with those cards

jumaischi

jumaischi

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
as usual this is too vague

first thing is what is your table read? each person how likely are this group of players to call you if you raise or shove? position would be secondary to what you think of opponents and what you are trying to accomplish with your pockets.... do you want a double up is this a re enter or rebuy and did you expect to rebuy or re enter....

with position i would try to raise and see how many followers i had or if was reraised back etc... with pockets im looking to isolate when possible

out of position id most often try to set mine so call and call small raises etc...

i would toss in this situation

i raise i get next guy who re raised me then the next guy shoves say I had a couple callers to my act? so they still have to act after all this play id probably toss at that point unless was qq or better
Tank you for your comment,next time I will try to formulate my question better!and tnx for the tips

80abukaH

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

The question is too general, you should always consider stack sizes relatively to he blind levels, number and level of opponents.

As a general rule, you can go all-in when your stack is under 10BBs or in a Spin&Go, but do not think about it at the first level of a very long MTT!

ssangyongpoker

ssangyongpoker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
depends on position and stack size.. is it tournament or cash?

R

Rad210

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Go all in with what stack size? What are the sizes of your opponents' stacks? What position are you in? What was the action before you? 99 is always a jam 5 BB deep but never a jam 300 BB deep. All these factors matter.

gardin555

gardin555

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think than 99 is a good pair to shove preflop with a short stack (10bb or less) , trying to double up, when no one bet before you .
I do it in any position when the blinds gonna eat me, so utg with 99 is a decent hand to shove, like a last chance to survive at the tourny. :viking: