All in with Par or Premiums Cards

T

TheFireWall

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
This question is something that I ask myself sometimes. They always give me Premium Cards (AK, KQ, AJ, AQ, JK, etc) and I go all-in against 8 8, 2 2, 4 4 and most of the time I lose them How to play in these cases. Reraise it on the Flop, Preflop or River? Or with everything in it, what if it were a roulette wheel?

M

MOONMAN212

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
This question is something that I ask myself sometimes. They always give me Premium Cards (AK, KQ, AJ, AQ, JK, etc) and I go all-in against 8 8, 2 2, 4 4 and most of the time I lose them How to play in these cases. Reraise it on the Flop, Preflop or River? Or with everything in it, what if it were a roulette wheel?

AK is the only card from that list which I would consider premium, and even then if you come across any pair preflop you have at best 50/50 chance. The other hands you list have potential for triple bets or re raises but I personally would never do so. I would take those hands to the flop, see if you have a pair, potential for a straight or flush and take it from there.

I'm new here too, but I'm sure there are some great threads regarding pre flop strategy. Good luck!

Last edited:
thehangdude

thehangdude

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
You don't say when/why you are shoving these hands. Most times it is best to play good Aces and Broadways with a raise, not a jam. I can see going all in if you are short stacked (15BB or less).

Pairs have 55% (ish) favorable odds against over cards. When you have AK, you want other Aces to call you, not only pairs, so raise. With KQ, you don't want to scare off KT and QJ.

If you raise and villain shoves, you don't have to call for 100BB. You can fold and simply lose the 2.5BB or whatever you raised. That way you are still in the game. There is little reason to call a huge raise with less than QQ+ and AK.

There is no reason to shove 100BB unless you have AA and think someone will actually call you. Picking up 2BB when you have a premium hand is a loss. You make more when you raise, get called, then apply pressure.