All-in, in preflop!

schon1958

schon1958

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello friends, I want to talk today about something that happens a lot in online poker, and that is that most of your players go all-in in preflop when they are 10-10, JJ, AA, QQ AK, I have had that experience and I have I learned that the best thing is to make a raise and then bet big on the flop, I have played two Cardschat freerolls in Pokestars and I have lost both betting all-in with QQ and AK.

Do you think it is a good decision to go all in on the preflop?

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hello friends, I want to talk today about something that happens a lot in online poker, and that is that most of your players go all-in in preflop when they are 10-10, JJ, AA, QQ AK, I have had that experience and I have I learned that the best thing is to make a raise and then bet big on the flop, I have played two Cardschat freerolls in Pokestars and I have lost both betting all-in with QQ and AK.

Getting it in with AK, QQ in 2 freerolls and losing is a tiny sample size.

There are number of variables to consider but, basically, there are times where getting it in pre is best option. Other times, it might not be. It really depends.

Matt_Burns88

Matt_Burns88

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips

If you're able to get it all in early in a freeroll tournament with AK or QQ, you should be happy with that. Of course, sometimes some luck box with bink a set on the river with their 9-3, but who cares? You got your chips in for 100+ bbs with a monster and that's a good thing. Just don't get dragged into the mindset of folding these big hands early doors because there's a few maniacs at your table looking to build a big stack or bust early. Equally, don't become one of those maniacs, it does your game no favours as you never learn to play the early stages of an MTT properly.

A

AAndi72

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Hi, I think directly going all-in here is not a good choice (only if you are already heads-up).
I think first you should check your position, then with these hands mentioned above -> Raise
If somebody before you raises then -> Re-Raise
If somebody re-raises you I would go all-in with AA, KK, QQ, also AK suited and offsuited, JJ and TT I would think about it, depending your position, tournament or cash-game and if in tournament, which stage of the tournament.

Therminator

Therminator

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Id say in a lot of situations, going all in with pocket Aces, Kings, or AKs ain't bad at all. Just know the inherit risks of going all in.

mar_dragan

mar_dragan

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't know,with KK and AA you have good chance,but in other cases you are gambling.
So just relax and be patient with a little dose of bluff.

WeAreHot777

WeAreHot777

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi,
I would like to say i'ts depends of situations, but sometimes its really better to good ALL IN with these hands.
You can open your hand with 2.5BB, this is a good decision as well.
If you getting 3BB when your betting 2.5BB, then its better to go ALL IN with AA,KK,QQ.
If you getting 3BB when your betting, then is a nice decision to 4BB the opponent, but its depends of situation, and depends of position.
If you getting 3BB, and you're not in position, then is hard to play ) maybe you can call with hands like JJ,10 10 ) to see the flop
I don't know it's a lot of situations, and really sometimes it's better to go ALL IN.
Sorry ) I forgot to add something sometimes you can, even, and fold with such of hands like 10 10, JJ, QQ.

Good luck to you, and I hope you will work to getting good in your game ;)

B

bempassado

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi, I think directly going all-in here is not a good choice (only if you are already heads-up).
I think first you should check your position, then with these hands mentioned above -> Raise
If somebody before you raises then -> Re-Raise
If somebody re-raises you I would go all-in with AA, KK, QQ, also AK suited and offsuited, JJ and TT I would think about it, depending your position, tournament or cash-game and if in tournament, which stage of the tournament.

I agree, I would also start with a raise and see my opponent's reaction, the fact that he is tight or loose aggressive influences how the re-raise will be played.
When it comes to going all in with QQ pf and finding KK and AA, you make the correct move because there are only those two pocket pairs that beat you,. You lost? no problem because you made the right move.
I would only fold QQ if I was close to the bubble, if I was against a lot of pre-flop all ins from TAG players or if I was absolutely sure that my opponent would have a superior game.
AA and KK I go all in without thinking twice.

IntenseHeat

IntenseHeat

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm not a big fan of going all-in pre-flop with AK. I might be a little bit more willing to get them in with a big pair. I don't know if I would say that I'm reluctant to go all-in with less than KK, so much as I like to leave myself the opportunity get away from a hand if I see dangerous board.

Just last night I was dealt QQ. The board had been min raised and called twice in front of me. I raised it up to 10x try to clear out some of the riff raff. The big blind decided to play, but the original raiser folded along with one of the callers. An Ace and a King, both diamonds, landed on the flop. It was checked to me. I started to make a continuation bet, but decided to check as well. The BB made it about 15x. The other player re-popped it up to 45x or so. I decided that I didn't like the look of that board against two players, so I let my QQ go. The BB jammed. The other player called. The BB had 10s. The other guy was holding slick.

I was definitely glad I hadn't gone all-in before the flop and had left myself the opportunity to get away from my hand when to two over cards landed on the flop. It was the perfect example of why I try to avoid risking all of my chips on any single hand, if I can help it.

M

markmu

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think it's a no brainer to go all in with AA oder KK, QQ. Also AK or sth like this is completly okay to go all in. Of course im some cases there are people calling with 10 5 and will win, but it's just a Freeroll.

eetenor

eetenor

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

Thank you for posting

When we have premium hands AA KK QQ AK our goal is not to try to win small pots it is to try to get our villains stacks. So if we can get one player to call us with JJ or worse when we have QQ, all-in preflop is a good strategy. If however we are being called only by AK or better than we are not making good shoves.

Also big bets on the flop should be to get one V to call when dominated but often the dominated hands may fold and we again are getting called by high equity hands.

Often when we use big net strategy we incorrectly over value winning pots over chip accumulation.

Hope this helps

R

ROYALROAD

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
various conditions

It also depends on various conditions of the table.

How many people are at the table when your turn has come.

Therminator

Therminator

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
All I got to say is that it doesn't matter what hand you have. Going all in preflop is a big gamble. Then once someone or some people call, it's all up to the poker gods.

A

Arthur ZM

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
With such cards, I would go to all in only having a short stack, if my stack was at least 20 BB, then I would better play such cards.

G

gichka97

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It really depends on the stack you have and what is the blind level. Most of people when see AA KK QQ move them all in, but that for me in some occasions is not good and these players are showing that they are not confident to play that hand on the flop with a raise without going all-in. They are afraid of dangerous flop and do not know what to do then and that is the reason they played it all in. But as I told it really depends on the stack you have.

B

bempassado

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Getting it in with AK, QQ in 2 freerolls and losing is a tiny sample size.

There are number of variables to consider but, basically, there are times where getting it in pre is best option. Other times, it might not be. It really depends.

Agree. QQ vs AK Pf wins almost 60% off the time. Of course it depends in what stage of the tournament you are in but i think both choices are valid ones shove and raise.

SightUnseen

SightUnseen

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This is all situational. When you have strong hands you are looking to get value, not encourage everyone to fold, so jamming cost you long term if not getting called. So in theory you should be opening 2 to 3x the blinds in most all positions to acquire more chips and let others make mistakes if you're deep stacked. When you're 10bb or less is the time to consider if jamming or opening small is best. Do you want to encourage worse to call, induce a jam. Also you can shove preflop and get called by worse or just steal the blinds in tournaments if you're not confident playing post. The biggest thing to consider is, what makes you feel more comfortable and confident. Stick to your gut and do what feels right to you.

Last edited:
apero12345

apero12345

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
allin is good when you have 10 or less bb

T

tuSavvy

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I normally triple bet here or call all-in. I really do not like to bet all-in by myself in pre-flop

olewerkrd

olewerkrd

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
All in on the flop is not always a good idea, even with AA or KK, you still need to look at the stage of the game, the size of the blinds and the number of opponents, this is a game, you need to feel and analyze everything. And the usual all-in is very risky.

schon1958

schon1958

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
All in on the flop is not always a good idea, even with AA or KK, you still need to look at the stage of the game, the size of the blinds and the number of opponents, this is a game, you need to feel and analyze everything. And the usual all-in is very risky.

If it is very risky all-in and more if there are many opponents, in my case that kind of pairs played them somewhat passively raise and raise.

olewerkrd

olewerkrd

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
We need to look at the stage of the game, what blinds, the size of the stacks of us and our opponents, and the position at the table, and then decide whether to go all in or not. In most cases, a lot of fish play freerolls and tournaments. I do not have an ordinary approach to poker, and I do not always rely on the strategies described in the books.

5KINGLEO5

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
With AA KK, it all depends on the size of the stack, with 10-30 blinds I always play the whole stack.

S

Sooted7s

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The thing is if i have 10 BB i'm shoving it with any of the hole cards you suggested up top. Most of the top your going to get called by worse and well then its just a luck base thing from then on. Like I just went runner runner to complete a straight off of AK. It was a 2.7% chance or something like that. The big stack did the right thing by calling my shove with 77