AK in early positions

Warrior1961

Warrior1961

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think I have clarified that I am an enthusiast but still very, very novice in the game of poker and wanted his opinion on my way of playing AK, both suited and off, from the first and even middle positions if the hand comes clean or with callers, being blind low. Normally I match the big blind, I only climb with this hand in last positions. Obviously I am talking about the game in tournaments or sits. From already thank you very much.

B

bellicoso

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello! If I'm understanding you, you limp with these hands from early position. This might be a clever trap... I don't know.

I am still learning much as well, however, and I think it might be better, generally speaking, to raise with these hands. Suited is best, obviously.

It's okay from early position to represent a strong hand properly, especially if antes are in play. A raise two or three times the big blind is fine. You want to leave yourself room to fold but be ready to take on challengers if you have a good flop.

If you're short stacked, be ready to follow a raiser with an all-in push. Again, suited is best.

You definitely want to take command of the betting with this hand, I believe. And if you can pull down blinds and antes with it, that's great.

In the end, practice and experience will dictate how you will continue to play these hands. But, try some things out and let us know how it goes.

Good luck to you!

Last edited:
M

mrT

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
well i am nothing like a pro but i prefer playing those hands strong so aklways raise and punish the limpers
but dont follow me do what you wanna do and think is best

WVHillbilly

WVHillbilly

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Raise AK from all positions. If short-stacked just open shove.

tame4g

tame4g

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
AK is definitely a strong hand that warrants an UTG open. However, if you hit TPTK, you need to be careful with it and try not to go too crazy. It can be very easy to end up crushed by sets and two pairs so just try to see a showdown for a good price!

Warrior1961

Warrior1961

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thank you very much for your advice and opinions my friends. Greetings from Buenos Aires.

MemphisGrind

MemphisGrind

Think Bink
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think I have clarified that I am an enthusiast but still very, very novice in the game of poker and wanted his opinion on my way of playing AK, both suited and off, from the first and even middle positions if the hand comes clean or with callers, being blind low. Normally I match the big blind, I only climb with this hand in last positions. Obviously I am talking about the game in tournaments or sits. From already thank you very much.

This question can't be full answered, because tournament poker is situational. There are so many variants, such as stack size, table image, reads on other players etc. Easy way to answer this would be that AKs or AKo is a premium hand and should be opened from all positions unless you want to OCCASIONALLY limp in but this needs to be simply for balance.

BelFish

BelFish

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
And in wild freerolls, where a lot of donkeys and fish play, it’s better to immediately push with AK from any position in the initial stages of the game )))

rayrc

rayrc

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think it's always better to bet or even raise with AK, but you always have to know fold in case you don't get anything on the flop. It is very common for players to stick so much to their hand until they reach the all in even when they do not even get a pair. AK is a very strong hand, but many times others will read us and with any small pair they will beat us.

Watcheman

Watcheman

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
AK is powerful hand but not absolutely.
Of course you must raise or do call if someone make bet before you.
It is hard to say definitely what you should to do because there are many pionts in this game.
But you should play it agressive every time but sometimes you should slow down because AA is more powerful :):) and even 22 have more chances.
Actaully I don't like it very much because sometimes I don't know what to do with it :D

P.S. I think also you should study with books too.

LanaRhoades

LanaRhoades

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
AK for me means raise.Whatever your position.It´s time for you to be the chip leader.

Matt_Burns88

Matt_Burns88

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
You should be open raising AK from any position in just about every situation.

tame4g

tame4g

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Not only is AK an open raise, it should also be a high frequency 3bet and occasionally a 4bet "bluff"

G

GrammaKing

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
AKo and AKs should always be raises and sometimes 4b's depending on stack size and situation. Once you get more experience, you can also consider calling opens with these hands and 4b squeezers.

ToNy70929

ToNy70929

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
UZ
Chips

Obviously, with AK you need to raise your bet to 3bb or 4bb and see the flop. If your stack allows you to answer the opponent’s all-in, pay attention to what your game was like before, the card went to you during previous distributions or not. Also be careful in the game against the leader of the table. As a rule, the random number generator plays in favor of the table leaders, helping the leaders to quickly supplant those with small stacks from the tournament

Warrior1961

Warrior1961

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thank you very much everyone for your comments and advice.

Best regards from Buenos Aires.

AllenKll

AllenKll

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Raise AK from all positions. If short-stacked just open shove.

This right here. Anything less will get callers that may suck out on you in terrible ways. You don't really wanna see a call from pocket 7s 8s or 9s. It will happen from time to time, but you'd rather be in a draw vs draw situation, from a cards perspective.

Sokolik

Sokolik

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
All positions must be raised. If there was a re-raise after your raise, then go to all-in. This is the advice of different game circuit in different positions. But it doesn't always work for me.

jcxmendes

jcxmendes

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
AK I bet any position and if tribet I paid and a hand too strong to fold

Nr98

Nr98

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I general for now I'd say always open-raise any hand you want to play if folded to you. Yes in very complicated mixed strategies there is a spot for limping, but for now keep it simple and just raise it up :)

BRANCASLIM

BRANCASLIM

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
Hello Friend!! I also have problems with AK at the time of playing in tournaments or sit and go, since I like that the pre-flop hand is finished as much as possible, that is to say, to go all in against one or 2 rivals at most, many will see my way of playing as incorrect, but I only bet it a little bit stronger than normal, that is, if my bets are 3 BB normally, I make AK 4 or 5 BB waiting for a re-raise to put all my chips in play, since in the great majority of tournaments we will be between 10 and 30 BB, otherwise it is deep, with more than 40 BB I try to make a normal rise of 3BB. But unfortunately all the flip has come out in cpntra in the vast majority of cases, always leading the way with my AK, against lower hands type A9, A8, A7 ... or low suit connectors. I think I should change my strategy since luck is not on my side haha. I already hate AK !! good luck !!

dimon4ik89

dimon4ik89

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
AK is a very strong hand or it is also called a premium hand. Personally, I raise with AK from all positions, and if someone raises to me, then I 3bet. I advise you to play more aggressively with such a hand, and then look at the flop and the playing style of the opponents who entered the game with you.

swerdnase

swerdnase

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You should almost always raise and reraise with AK. It generally doesn't flop well and turns into a chasing/bluffing hand when you miss. By limp-calling, especially in early position, you are putting yourself in exactly that situation. And in the instances you do hit the flop, your payoff will usually be minimal, so building up the pot preflop offsets that.

R

ROYALROAD

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
AK

Completely, It depends on the situation of the place.

If it's from UTG, it should be held at limp.

1nsomn1a

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
AK lately has become very complex, especially in pokerstars, I don't know maybe it's especially dispersion.

In fact, these are two overcards, the gain potential is average and the flop hit is also average. I think you need to start more from the opponent and combine RECs, 3-bet, occasionally limp, preferably in front of an aggressive opponent.