Aggressive poker is winning poker

B

bellicoso

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
While there's a fine line between reasonable aggression and playing like a maniac, I have found that, when I assert myself with bets at the table, I often take down pots easily.

With any good connectors (nothing too low), if I have the opportunity to open the betting, I usually start with a pot-bet. This immediately scares off weak handed players and draws in those who think they have a shot. Then the flop... If I make a pair, I follow up with another quarter to half-pot bet depending on the strength of my pair. This works to either cause the other player(s) to fold or as an information bet, especially if they raise (in which case I will probably fold). If they just call, it's time for the turn... my pair might still be good. I make sure I'm not in danger of getting caught by any draws and make another half-pot bet. This provides another fold/information opportunity, and a spot where a lot of players make the mistake of continuing when I have them beaten already (e.g. a set or have hit a draw). Finally, the river... I take a quick look at the board and see what I've got. If I think I'm still winning, I make another half-pot bet. Believe it or not, this is usually where the other player folds. If not, I win the pot with essentially a series of value-bets. :)

This is just an example of how many hands tend to go for me. I only screw up when I get bored and start to play too loose. Also, I never shove pre-flop. I do, however, sometimes call a shover if I've got them stacked.

Also, it's important to note that I don't necessarily start out playing this way. I prefer to build at least 40 BB before I move to this style of play. But it has carried me to a few final tables the last few weeks.

Anyway, I'd like to hear some thoughts from other aggressive players and see if they have similar experiences. Alternatively, do you think this approach is bad? If so, I'd love to hear ways to improve it. :)

1sunchin

1sunchin

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In principle, a good tactic, its use many good players, but you do not say what you do on the flop if you have the Draw or gutshot, continues to bet? If so, what do you do if the opponent makes rise on your bet?

B

bellicoso

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In principle, a good tactic, its use many good players, but you do not say what you do on the flop if you have the Draw or gutshot, continues to bet? If so, what do you do if the opponent makes rise on your bet?

I try not to chase gutshots. Four outs is not enough, in my opinion.

In any case, I have to consider pot odds. If I've got three to one or better, I'll follow up with a half-pot bet.

I generally fold to big raises (again considering pot odds) unless I've got a really good hand, in which case I'll re-raise.

This process works fairly well for me once I've built my 40+ BB; the trouble is getting there in the first place. Most of the time I come out swinging, but sometimes I have to play conservatively to build my stack. My approach depends on the other players at the table.

In all, however, I can often quickly clear the field of maniacs and weak players, as well as hold my own against strong players with big stacks.

It's good to point out that this is not a catch-all solution. You can't fight chance and play your way out of bad beats or someone who simply has a better hand. You still need to know when to fold.

Reload

Reload

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would only say that your style is good, when you have scary players, like you said, that will fold for sure.
But when someone keeps calling you until the river, what do you usually think they are doing?
Hope you profit a lot with your style! ;)

B

bellicoso

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would only say that your style is good, when you have scary players, like you said, that will fold for sure.
But when someone keeps calling you until the river, what do you usually think they are doing?
Hope you profit a lot with your style! ;)

Many times players are chasing something to the river. When they miss, they fold on the river. Not saying I haven't been beaten before, but often if it's gone that far, I'm taking some chips.

B

bidearm

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
sometimes but also comes back to bite you quickly

B

bellicoso

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
sometimes but also comes back to bite you quickly

Without question this can happen. Like I said before, this isn't a catch-all solution. You have to know when to stop and fold.

B

Backlash

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I love to get aggressive when I have notes of a table full of tight players. I try to keep it within reason, sometimes...;)

B

bellicoso

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I love to get aggressive when I have notes of a table full of tight players. I try to keep it within reason, sometimes...;)

Yup. And it can be easy to trap yourself and start playing way too loosely. This is where experience and discipline come into play. It's good to give yourself a cutoff point on your hole cards -- cards you simply will not play. But what's great about this is it can swell pots and really move your stack up relatively quickly. And if you've built the 40+ BB, you can afford to do that.

BobbyMorton

BobbyMorton

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I agree controlled agression is the way to play.:):):)

1sunchin

1sunchin

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
N fact, I try to change my game during the tournament, in the beginning I played solidly, in the course of tournament doing notes about players,and then change my play to more loose and agressive, sometimes play solid as in the beginning, sometimes bluff.

B

bellicoso

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
N fact, I try to change my game during the tournament, in the beginning I played solidly, in the course of tournament doing notes about players,and then change my play to more loose and agressive, sometimes play solid as in the beginning, sometimes bluff.

One of the best aspects of how I play is that it's easy to assume I'm a maniac; very loose and aggressive. But, in reality, I'm not. I just appear that way. There is a method to the "madness".

So, I trap a lot of otherwise reserved players into playing junk hands, and take their chips. My betting style is consistent. So, if I've got AA, AK, KK, AQ, QQ, it's played the same way as my lower connectors. I don't play any non/loose connectors at all.

This allows me to see more flops, get a pair or better, and take down more pots. :)

1sunchin

1sunchin

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
if your game will read a good player, he can use the method "supermanyak" - on each of your raise will make a re-raise 5-7bet - to me this was and not one time

1sunchin

1sunchin

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
One of the best aspects of how I play is that it's easy to assume I'm a maniac; very loose and aggressive. But, in reality, I'm not. I just appear that way. There is a method to the "madness".

So, I trap a lot of otherwise reserved players into playing junk hands, and take their chips. My betting style is consistent. So, if I've got AA, AK, KK, AQ, QQ, it's played the same way as my lower connectors. I don't play any non/loose connectors at all.

This allows me to see more flops, get a pair or better, and take down more pots. :)
Hello!

Seat before you in yesterday 25+ Freroll and saw your end. You play not bad, but luck was not yours.

So what you can say about your yesterday play?

B

bellicoso

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello!

Seat before you in yesterday 25+ Freroll and saw your end. You play not bad, but luck was not yours.

So what you can say about your yesterday play?

Yeah I saw you too! You were doing quite well also. :)

I was definitely unlucky yesterday and wasn't on my game. I'm still trying to refine my system of play, but I have to say that I've been getting the best results with aggressive bets for hands that are in my range. There's just not much you can do when you're not catching anything good on the board...

Anyway, I hope to see you again at the tables. Keep up the good work and good luck to you! :)

Dmitriy_rus7

Dmitriy_rus7

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
KZ
Chips
not a bad strategy for the game

tauri103

tauri103

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
he has 1 month I thought exactly like you because at the base I am an aggressive player preflop.j 'had good result using this style of play but despite the advantages of aggression poker, being too aggressive can be devastating, perhaps more than being a slightly passive player. An overly aggressive player faces two difficulties. The first is to pass all hands worse than his own and to isolate too often with the only hands that can beat him. Another problem, it becomes the ideal target for slowplay. When you know in advance that a player will bet the three streets consecutively regardless of the strength of his hand, you can just follow his bet and let him impale. I'm really aware of it when I start playing frerroll club.

dorenavent I play tight poker with a serious hand selection that allows me to be often favorite with the best hand. I master my aggression because it is important to make each hand profitable. by changing my style of play I had better results by ranking me twice 4th and 5th in the space of 4 days. while when I played aggressive I could not do better than 10 or 12th even when I played at my best level.what is rather ironic.

If you choose to learn to master this style of play then I encourage you to take advantage of your timeouts to observe your opponents.

H

HeyMan

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
controlled aggression but don't get out of hand ~@@~

S

sasa2300

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
"Good luck favors the brave." But, alas, not in poker. I tried to be aggressive, but in the end lost. So I do not agree that aggression is a victory.:ciao::ciao::ciao:

Jezdic

Jezdic

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I respect aggressive poker but within the limits of normal. I've always hated drunk rich people who know only aggressively to play and always have the luck.

T

test6586

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello! Yeah defenitely! I do not like playing agressively and neither when others do. And also agressive players are rapidly demasked and they may lose rapidly as well.

tihomir_kula

tihomir_kula

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BG
Chips
Agressive poker is winning one but in freerolls combined with a lot of luck.

kraemer

kraemer

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The downside is that you will lose a lot against better kickers with this style and you will lose big pots!

I think this strategy is mathematically a losing one. To make it work you will have to be able to classify your opponents very well. If you can get enough people to fold and are capable of making some good lay downs it could work.

For me making smaller bets worked better. If you open with the same small bet every time it makes you hard to read and even relatively small continuation bets can get opponents to fold if you build anrichten table image

S

SatisfyMe

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
a leader of the universe

I love an aggressive player at the table who wants to be the leader of the universe. It keeps me on high alert and makes the game less boring.:hahaha: