Chips
What can you advise when playing cash?

Highsolation

Highsolation

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Definitely play games where you can handle losing as there's variance in poker.
You have to manage your bankroll wisely, otherwise if you have bad runs you might find yourself in a tough spot.
Also find soft games, where you have an skill advantage over the rest, if not, you might end up losing quite a lot too.

Matt_Burns88

Matt_Burns88

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Cash is the easiest way to lose a lot of money very quickly in poker. I've seen plenty of players lose four or five buy-ins in 30 mins or less.

So, what advice would I give?

- Make sure you're playing at the right level for you. If you're completely new to poker, don't play cash. I would recommend Sit and Go's or micro MTT's.
- Make sure you're properly bankrolled for cash game, I would suggest somewhere between 100 to 150 buy-ins. That means if you're playing $0.01/$0.02, you need $200-$300. A lot of people, especially those that are new to the game, think "oh, I've got $50, I can buy in to a $0.05/$0.10 game" and their entire bankroll gets blown apart in no time.
- Play a little tighter than you would normally for the first few orbits. Observe the other players at your table and get a feel for how they play. Do they splash around in every pot? Are they super tight and you can push them around? Do they always try to steal your blinds? How often do they 3-bet, or fold to a 3-bet.

Collin Moshman

Collin Moshman

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
First, I would suggest posting more specific questions. It will get you advice that's catered to helping you the most.

But one suggestion I can offer to the general question: Just focus at first on playing stronger hands in position, or good speculative hands like low pairs multiway. Be aggressive with your value-betting when you connect well. Get used to the game this way before expanding into a more creative approach.

Good luck!

monkey23

monkey23

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
learn how not to lose and the winning will take care of itself.

ignore the 1% 'rule'...ie that you should only play 1/2 nlhe if you have a bankroll of less than $200. This philosophy will consign you to an eternity in purgatory, unless you run good and win a tourney. Play at the highest level you can consistantly beat.

If you can beat the 5/10 games...consistantly...play them...

develop very thick skin...resilience is a key. Protect your own psyche.

Be objective about when you play a hand badly...try not to make the same mistakes twice...or too often at least.

You are not as smart as you think you are...nor are other people so stupid as you think they are.

good luck and may the farce be with ya.

monkey23

monkey23

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
But one suggestion I can offer to the general question: Just focus at first on playing stronger hands in position, or good speculative hands like low pairs multiway. Be aggressive with your value-betting when you connect well. Get used to the game this way before expanding into a more creative approach.

Good luck!

this is top advice...really...hand selection...and position position position.

medium / low suited connectors play best in multi way pots in late position.
low pocket pairs should not be over-rated in early / mid position.
A hand flops a pair about 30% of the time...you flop a set a LOT less than this...about 11% of the time,

There are some great starting hand charts available for free online..use them.

https://www.888poker.com/magazine/strategy/all-about-6-max-opening-ranges-and-hand-selection-charts

milka1605

milka1605

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Use bankroll management. Don't watch a lot of flops. Choose your hand carefully. If you hit a tilt, don't try to recoup, it's better to take a break.

NickeLine22

NickeLine22

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks everyone for the advices!��

C

CallmeFloppy

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Some other advice.

Set a time limit for how long you are going to play before you start. Once you hit that, reassess where you are. Mindset, energy, play. Decide then if you will continue to play and how long.

Lose your ego. If you are at a table with players who are better than you, Stop playing and find a new table.

Don't chase losses. You need to learn to be ok with having a losing session. If you have one, be honest with yourself on why and leave if you should. Don't just keep playing trying to get back to even. This usually makes the losses grow cause you will take chances you know you shouldn't, and lose value in spots you should take advantage of.

If you are winning, don't try to protect your winnings. Keep playing your game. You need to look at ALL your cash games as one never ending session. Going into a prevent defense to protect your winnings in one session will cost you in the long run.

R

ROYALROAD

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
That the constitution of the player is different from a tournament, please know.

black and

black and

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I think the most important thing is to stay focused and closely monitor the actions of your opponents.