Adjusting our range

jadaminato

jadaminato

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I have heard many times that one way to adjust our range is to play the opposite way to how the table does. But I have a couple of doubts:

Assuming a table of 9 players, with a maximum VPIP of 17 and some real rocks, we should play more aggressive. The problem is that, when someone pays us, we will almost certainly be behind.
On the opposite side, suppose a table with an average VPIP of 60, (very common in 888). These players are calling with any cards. If we behave conservatively, when we have a couple of cards we can catch them. But with their call range we could also do it with hands like A10o in EP or KJs on the button, even with A8s i think.

So what is the best way to adjust your range?

Jon Poker

Jon Poker

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Exploit the rocks for playing too tight by adopting a LAG style of play - they will mainly check fold anything they do not hit and give up on flopped draws on the turn. When it comes to super tight players keep their range in mind - know what cards are bad for their range and exploit that situation to the fullest. No one likes pressure - especially a passive nit who finds himself facing a massive bet on the river holding only top pair with a mediocre kicker.

As for the looser players - exploit them too. Play TAG and charge them max value for premium holdings. If they want to call you with rags everytime - I would roll out the welcome mat for those players.

Do not deviate from your betting strategy and sizing - if you take the same value betting lines everytime it will be hard for opponents to decipher made hands and pure bluffs. On a side note - just incase you didn't know - NEVER attempt to bluff a fish or calling station - it will not end well for you.

jadaminato

jadaminato

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Exploit the rocks for playing too tight by adopting a LAG style of play - they will mainly check fold anything they do not hit and give up on flopped draws on the turn. When it comes to super tight players keep their range in mind - know what cards are bad for their range and exploit that situation to the fullest. No one likes pressure - especially a passive nit who finds himself facing a massive bet on the river holding only top pair with a mediocre kicker.

As for the looser players - exploit them too. Play TAG and charge them max value for premium holdings. If they want to call you with rags everytime - I would roll out the welcome mat for those players.

Do not deviate from your betting strategy and sizing - if you take the same value betting lines everytime it will be hard for opponents to decipher made hands and pure bluffs. On a side note - just incase you didn't know - NEVER attempt to bluff a fish or calling station - it will not end well for you.

Haha yes, I learned by force not to bluff fishes or call station, they go to the end even with a smaller pair. Although that is precisely the problem. If I get a couple of aces and on the flop comes a possible straight or a color project, I never know where I am. Betting is not useful to determine it, because as I say they always call. So many times I have seen myself checking the river thinking that they have color and show a couple of 5, and I think "I did not value my premium hand well"