Aces-how to play ?

N

northernboy

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
My question is Aces should you slow play or push.

Dejange

Dejange

CC Delija
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BG
Chips
Push in very early stages of MTT's, smart playing later on :top:

Rob Hobson

Rob Hobson

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
75% of the times I push, the rest, slow play.

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
this is such a very poorly asked question and it has no information to give any solid answers.

so, a very general question deserves a very general answer: yes you should, unless in situations you shouldn't.

M

Mariadelaluz

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Push only. No for slow plays.

T

the_bridge222

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Push in early. Good luck!

J

Jim_Saras

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Slow play or push?

If you have a good feel for the table you can adjust your strategy on your opponents. If they call really light, then sure you can push at very high prices. You don't wanna give a 7 5 off a good price and allow him to get there!

CptRunBad

CptRunBad

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If there is a high chance some raises then a call is acceptable. If not always raise.

eberetta1

eberetta1

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I limp in omaha 8, but in NL Poker, I would never limp AA. I like to get rid of the riff raff. Can you imagine letting 83os take down your pocket AA, because you refused to min raise.

dimon4ik89

dimon4ik89

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
On AA, I always raise or re-raise if someone has raised before me. I tried limping (or slowplaying) AA and noticed that I was losing a lot of hands. I raise with the aim of staying in the hand with 1 or two opponents who also have good hands like me. If I don't raise, 3-4 opponents enter the hand and in most cases one of them finds 2 pair or a straight or some other combination that is older than my AA.

Swat1197

Swat1197

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Better win not a big pot and try to make leave opp, then play for river and lose to Q10s
Try to reraise and push, it's enough people to pay you)

A

Arthur ZM

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Usually I always play a push.

Phoenix Wright

Phoenix Wright

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
As many suggest: it really depends. Personally, trapping with Aces is part of my arsenal; but, not everyone can use this play effectively (not to mention losing potential value by not value betting, or failing to isolate due to passivity). Obviously, raising and playing Aces aggressively should be the default. However, I think every good player knows the power to mixing it up a little bit to avoid predictability.

Stack size is also very important. If we are in the first hand of an MTT, then I don't really want to shove all-in if we are deepstacked (50+ Big Blinds). Why? To put it bluntly: skill goes out the window with this play - anyone can shove all-in and luck/math takes over. Pocket Aces only win 85% of the time or so versus a random hand (that means there will be 15% "bad beats") and I might have better chances by using my poker ability later on. With this said, in the example of pocket Aces in the first hand of an MTT, I still may consider playing for all of my chips: just that I don't want to be shoving all-in right there. I'd prefer a little more "pot control." With Aces (literally the best starting hand), I would still be willing to build the pot with standard raises and value betting (and also not be afraid to go all-in with this hand), but merely all-in instantly isn't what I prefer.

With this said, say we are at 15 Big Blinds deep and we get pocket Aces. This is a much shorter effective stack and playing an all-in is more understandable - especially if there is an ante in play.

Another factor to consider is also your opponents and their ability compared to yours. I'd be more willing to gamble against players I view as strong/better skilled than me and less inclined to shove and gamble on players I think I can outplay in the long-term. Of course, "gambling" with Pocket Aces is hardly ever a bad idea - you are certainly the favorite pre-flop.

messats

messats

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
LC
Chips
playing AA's and KK's

my personal opinion is that these hand should be played aggressive pre-flop and passive post flop to build pot. reasons for me saying this pre-flop aggression gets rid of mediocre hands

thus leaving premium hands and top pairs ranging from 10's upwards

with this you could play based on the flop either value or fold depends