Accidentally entered an Omaha game

Steviewattz

Steviewattz

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
So as a new ACR member, to feel it out, I started joining the free rolls and I accidentally joined an Omaha game. First time ever.... Am I wrong in believing that Omaha is just holdem but instead of being dealt 2 cards, you're dealt 4? Is that the only difference?

P

PrinceJigger

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
So as a new ACR member, to feel it out, I started joining the free rolls and I accidentally joined an Omaha game. First time ever.... Am I wrong in believing that Omaha is just holdem but instead of being dealt 2 cards, you're dealt 4? Is that the only difference?
Yes, but what kind of messes up beginners is that you must use exactly two of your hole cards.

DougPkrMonsta

DougPkrMonsta

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yes essentially you have six hold'em hands but unlike in hold'em you will never play more than 3 cards on the board and you will never only play 1 card from your hand.

The best two cards in your hand play with three cards from the board at all times. Four cards to a flush up - if you don't have two flush cards in your hand you don't have a flush. AAAAK up, you are playing 3 aces from the board and your best two cards (KK is the nuts).

Omaha is a lot of fun but a lot of action as the percentages run very close and draws can be favored against a set (aces preflop are good but only 60/40 against many other good hands).

Good luck! :D

D

Dhendrixon

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It is a very heavy post flop game. If you don't hit the flop good, chances are you will be beat. Hardest thing to remember is you must use two of your hole cars and 3 community cards. Starting hands to play are normally just a pocket pair and suited connector type hands. You don't want trips in your hand or quads.

Steviewattz

Steviewattz

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Well this explains why I lost lol. Here I'm thinking that if my hand is 8,9,10,J and the flop, turn and river cards are 3,A,7,5,4 that I hit a straight with the 7 I would be wrong in that assumption though right? Lol

Top 10 Games