AA in hand, the strongest cards before flop?

A

anderson697

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I start questioning the AA pair, because today I have three consecutive tournaments where I lose with this hand, will it be bad luck? What do you think???

puzzlefish

puzzlefish

🙉 🙈 🙊 student of the donk arts
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I start questioning the AA pair, because today I have three consecutive tournaments where I lose with this hand, will it be bad luck? What do you think???
In normal poker, AA is the best hand when heads up against someone. If there are more than 2 other players in the pot with your AA, you have about 50/50 of winning. Now, this may be controversial, but I would ask that for your online experience that you take a look at the hand immediately prior to your AA hand. See if you would have won that hand against the other players - if you would have won the previous hand (or if you did win), especially with some sort of unlikely draw (running flush, straight, etc.) - then your AA is scheduled to get cracked. If you check and the previous hand would have been a loss for you, especially if it would have been second best to the winning hand, then your AA will likely be good for you.

Also, check to see if you are facing a villain who just lost a significant amount of their stack in the last hand. You are more likely to lose against this villain with your AA as opposed to a villain who just won.

Try this and let me know what you find.

perrywh

perrywh

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
aa is great live but sucks online.

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In normal poker, AA is the best hand when heads up against someone. If there are more than 2 other players in the pot with your AA, you have about 50/50 of winning. Now, this may be controversial, but I would ask that for your online experience that you take a look at the hand immediately prior to your AA hand. See if you would have won that hand against the other players - if you would have won the previous hand (or if you did win), especially with some sort of unlikely draw (running flush, straight, etc.) - then your AA is scheduled to get cracked. If you check and the previous hand would have been a loss for you, especially if it would have been second best to the winning hand, then your AA will likely be good for you.

Also, check to see if you are facing a villain who just lost a significant amount of their stack in the last hand. You are more likely to lose against this villain with your AA as opposed to a villain who just won.

Don't pay attention to this crap.

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It's variance.

R

rafffinamore

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
3 playing with AA, it's little to draw conclusions, if it was 100 or even 20, I think the result would be different .. you played against a player only, or had players with you in this play with the pair AA, remember that you had with a player playing post flop, the variance increases, now on a player you are always the favorite with AA, but that does not mean you can lose .. after all there are no rules in poker where to say that AA will win every time .. the problem is that we always keep this in mind when we receive a pair of AA, we think that it is already certain that the stack of chips is already ours .. and it is not your opponent has 25% to win .

S

SkorpiosMC

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Overestimating Aces

The biggest problem with Aces is that you often overestimate the situation and you overplay them in deep blinds referring on cash games.
However on MTT's where you often have to push a lot is the absolute best hand

A

anderson697

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Excellent analysis, I will do it and I will comment the results.

Reload

Reload

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Before the flop, how could this not be the best hand??
The thing is how will you play it: position, who's in play and what comes with the flop. If you leave players see the flop, beware after that.

puzzlefish

puzzlefish

Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
lol. What part of that made you think "yeah. This makes sense."?

Don't waste your time.
If it's such nonsense, why not let him take a look and decide for himself?

B

Bertie Wooster

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

So...Anderson, this is sort of a fragment of information. Are you raising preflop? How much? 2X 2.5X 10X?

So...a person who "limps with AA or plays it very soft is going to cracked more often because they are encouraging callers...more callers means more chances of losing. If you are playing big hands like AA strong, you are improving the odds of your hand holding up because you are narrowing the number of opponents.

Also... really good players are able to fold AA. NEVER PRE_FLOP. It's not something you want to do, but example- I played in a live tournament earlier this week. I raised UTG and got 3 callers, including the Big Blind. The BB could be playing a wode variety of hands here because the other 2 callers added value to the pot, giving him the correct odds to call with small pairs and stuff like suited connectors or a suited Ace.

The flop comes 689, w 2 clubs. BB checks, I bet. The other 2 guys fold and the BB raises half his stack. If I call, I am putting my tournament on the line. I can't call and then fold the turn or river. I need to make a decision to take the hand all the way or fold now. It is highly probable that this guy Has something like 66. Given his stack size and his play in the tourney to this point, a bluff would be stupid. I doubt he is playing something like top pair this strong, also dumb in this particular case. About the worst hand I can put him on is something like an open ender with a pair... something like 89 or 78, or possibly a gut shot with 2 clubs.

I put this guy on 66, but there are a lotta hands where I am in bad shape.

Let's say he has 67, 78 or 79... I'm still ahead, but it's about 55-45. I don't want to stake my tourney on a coin flip unless I am a weaker player and that's my best shot. If he has a pair w/ flush draw, the odds are worse for me.

So it's probability, not bad luck.

Insane story- in 2007 I was playing full time, and a lot of that was live. I lost THIRTEEN (or 14) STRAIGHT hands where I had KK. The probability of that happening is miniscule...but it happened even though I was (increasing in paranoia, and thus) betting them even more aggressively prefop.

One hand I had KK in the BB. This kid had a big stack and was raising every hand. He raised, I called. The flop was J 4 2, rainbow. I check, knowing this kid can't help himself and he snap-shoves. I call. He has 10 6...yes 10 6... no draw, no hand. he hits a 10 on the turn and another 10 on the river and I get knocked out.

KK is like...97% there... but that means you lose 1 outta 33 times. Those awful beats stay with you, but ya know what?

Give me AA every time. If I can't have AA, gimme Kings.

Don't be afraid of those hands, pray for them and bet them hard when you get them. And for the love of gawd, it has nothing to do with whether you won or lost the previous hand, or the other has won or lost this hand or that hand... discard that kind of analysis immediately... it's simple probability, and when you have AA, YOU have probability on your side, right where you want it.

B

Bertie Wooster

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The biggest problem with Aces is that you often overestimate the situation and you overplay them in deep blinds referring on cash games.
However on MTT's where you often have to push a lot is the absolute best hand

Yes...deep stack cash games where players are getting odds to call with a very wide range, AA frequently gets overestimated POST-flop.

M

Matteobvb83

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

I'd say you were unlucky. also it depends how many peoples entered the flat because obviously more players enter the more chances of winning the pot decreases
also it depends on how you play them post flop

Kenzie 96

Kenzie 96

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
If it's such nonsense, why not let him take a look and decide for himself?

I'm fairly certain OP is not being forbidden from following whatever advice he so desires, the reasons Mr. Bad counsels against following the nonsense put forward by A=22 is, he is trying to offer sound, practical, reasonable, helpful advice. Again, receiving advice does not compel the recipient to follow said advice. ;)

puzzlefish

puzzlefish

Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Sure, if what I suggested is truly nonsense and not practical or helpful, the OP will realize that fairly quickly.

K

kdawg71

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I tell you what. If having A A preflop and you get beat 3 times in a row with this hand, don't worry about it. Give me A A preflop all day. I will take those odds all day long. I am a guaranteed winner on the long haul.

S

SlowRollAA

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It happens, AA is the best starting hand pre flop.

Joco413

Joco413

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's the strongest hand, but that doesn't mean it's unbeatable. So play it with that in your mind.

cris1964

cris1964

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
AA pre floop is the tighter hand but the post floop can be much weaker and playing this hand stems from experienced players. and bad luck, you can not talk here :)

millya5

millya5

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
Yesterday, too, lost c AA. insidious hand ....... personally, in my experience, AA hand wins 30-40%

greatgame230

greatgame230

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi, losing with AA is bad luck and it has to be, there is no better pre-flop hand than that, any other hand that has an opponent is inferior, it is frustrating, it has happened to every poker player that with AA he loses the hand, but so it happens 10, 20 consecutive times is still the best pre-flop hand, maybe if you have spent playing free or micro tournaments is because many players do not take it seriously and go with anything and that's where they occur with more often badbeat, but your question is very simple to answer if you have AA preflop and another player goes allin, do you fold?

Greetings

infonazar

infonazar

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Obviously, AA is the strongest hand on the preflop, but you also need to take into account your position at the table and the game of your opponents. In addition, it is important to take into account the style of the game of your opponents.

efranto2286

efranto2286

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
It is the best hand pair of AA but there is variance so 100% of the time pay in cash in tournaments is something else depending on which part of the tournaments are

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands