AA early in tournament: should I fold?

O

Oldstrings

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
A few times now I have got pocket aces to Queens, very early on in a tournament. And another player goes all in. I believe I almost always call. I seem to be losOmg more than I win.
Should I change my strategy and fold?

thehangdude

thehangdude

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I am almost always calling with QQ+. I might even call with AK.

G

Germanets

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
A few times now I have got pocket aces to Queens, very early on in a tournament. And another player goes all in. I believe I almost always call. I seem to be losOmg more than I win.
I think, if you have pocket Aces on preflop - you should call All-In, in some abstract situation, because you have more than 80% chances to win any other hand, include pocket QQ.. For other hands - you need to think, but AA KK and QQ give you big chances to win another guy, and early in any tournament - you have big chances that your opponent is less clever and professional))
You shouldn't change your strategy after 2-3 looses, but you need to be ready to get 20% of looses several times in a row, just because you don't know your opponents cards and another 5 cards on table) And more than that - your bankroll should allow you to play
enough times and wait before you will be more lucky.

DougPkrMonsta

DougPkrMonsta

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It depends on the number of big blinds effective the stacks are and how the action played out to me (plus number of other players in the hand to act behind me).

If someone just goes all-in unprompted opening the action, I think calling TT+ and AQ+ in any fast structure from 100BB and down would be fine. You probably can think about calling worse depending on toughness of table/tournament. I know I'm definitely calling looser if I want to double or bust and move on to something else - having a bigger stack is more fun. :D

Deeper stacks and especially if it is a raising war pre-flop (3bet, 4bet, 5bet) I'm more likely to tighten up to KK+ and AK against some.

While most sane people aren't bluffing like this and have something they think is the best hand, you will run into people who just go crazy hoping to build a big stack and you have to get an idea of who they are eventually, so call and make a note of what they can show up with in an early all-in for future use.

Good luck to you! :D

Sabrina Mix

Sabrina Mix

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
good depends a lot on the variance and also on the low levels of entries you should enter with paid comfort tickets to your bank so you play safer

Daniel72

Daniel72

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Aces I don't fold preflop, the only exception would be a satellite just before winning a ticket, maybe.
In the long run you win 85% vs. a random hand.
Some lost hands with AA should not affect you.
Just trust the statistics :)

O

Oldstrings

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks

All of your replies were very helpful! I appreciate it!

P

pohewa

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think, if you have pocket Aces on preflop - you should call All-In, in some abstract situation, because you have more than 80% chances to win any other hand, include pocket QQ.. For other hands - you need to think, but AA KK and QQ give you big chances to win another guy, and early in any tournament - you have big chances that your opponent is less clever and professional))
You shouldn't change your strategy after 2-3 looses, but you need to be ready to get 20% of looses several times in a row, just because you don't know your opponents cards and another 5 cards on table) And more than that - your bankroll should allow you to play
enough times and wait before you will be more lucky.

I completely agree here. Pre-flop is pretty much a must call.

I

Ianmacca99

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You can almost never fold aces pre only exemption being in satelites where there are shorter stacks and you can hold out for a ticket

A

Arthur ZM

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If I don't like the flop I can fold AA, but if someone goes all in preflop I always call.

1nsomn1a

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think it is wrong to discard aces at any time of the tournament, but when you call at the beginning of the tournament, be prepared for the fact that your hand can lose to any random hand and get knocked out at the beginning of the tournament.:)

O

Oldstrings

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks again everyone. Update 0/2 QQ and AK

D

Delfino

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Never fold pocket Aces preflop. The only time you could do that is when this is a satellite with equal value tickets and you are short of getting one. In that case with a medium stack I would fold letting the short stacks bust.

Panda1010

Panda1010

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Having high pocket hold cards early in the tournament is always a struggle for me. I usually do go all in preflop with pocket aces. Unfortunately I do end up losing to someone else who plays pot odds. I do sometimes get lucky too though lol.

TommyT

TommyT

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Fold the best starting hand in Hold'em? Come on

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
why would you want to fold aces here? what are you afraid of, busting out another mtt in the early stages? why does that matter?

O

Oldstrings

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You’re right

why would you want to fold aces here? what are you afraid of, busting out another mtt in the early stages? why does that matter?
But the thing is on poker stars , I’m keeping tally, I’ve lossed 5/7 AA all in pre flop. I’m not going to start folding but it makes you think.

tauri103

tauri103

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I sympathize too. I lose regularly with this hand. however when you have AA it is always an opportunity to build your stack very early in the game. even against 3 opponents in the spot. we still have good luck winning this spot. you should play them every time and hope the variance is on your side.

Phoenix Wright

Phoenix Wright

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I am almost always calling with QQ+. I might even call with AK.

Probably with QQ+ I'd call it off in events with less Big Blinds or Turbo events etc. However, AK is a good hand, but I'd have second thoughts about going all-in with it. Perhaps I'm too nitty if the BBs are less, but I've seen AK miss so many flops and it is only a coin-flip situation against many hands: including any pocket pair. I know we are relying on their shove indicating they are a maniac and shove a wide range, but what if they aren't? What is they just got AA and feel like no one would believe them? This isn't a situation I want AK for all my chips. It would be different if the same player shoves 3 or 4 times all-in because now I figure that they probably don't have it every time.

It depends on the number of big blinds effective the stacks are and how the action played out to me (plus number of other players in the hand to act behind me).

If someone just goes all-in unprompted opening the action, I think calling TT+ and AQ+ in any fast structure from 100BB and down would be fine. You probably can think about calling worse depending on toughness of table/tournament. I know I'm definitely calling looser if I want to double or bust and move on to something else - having a bigger stack is more fun. :D

Deeper stacks and especially if it is a raising war pre-flop (3bet, 4bet, 5bet) I'm more likely to tighten up to KK+ and AK against some.

While most sane people aren't bluffing like this and have something they think is the best hand, you will run into people who just go crazy hoping to build a big stack and you have to get an idea of who they are eventually, so call and make a note of what they can show up with in an early all-in for future use.

Good luck to you! :D

For deeper stacks, I completely agree with this post. I don't know if I'd shove AQ in a faster structure, but that is just me and AQ isn't so unreasonable. I guess I just have faith that I can fold and wait for a better spot, but this is much more tempting to shove in faster formats because there is a greater chance of getting blinded out if you get card dead or a few bad hands in.

S

shatalex1122

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I wouldn't even think about it, just all-in. If you fold AA, the card will turn away from you. Even if you lose once, the next will be yours.:motz:

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
But the thing is on poker stars , I’m keeping tally, I’ve lossed 5/7 AA all in pre flop. I’m not going to start folding but it makes you think.
no. it doesn't make me think because i don't waste my time worrying about irrelevant things that doesn't help me improve my game.

L

Lina1020

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There's no way I could throw the pocket aces preflop, it's a different situation if you're on the flop and there may be more opponents, you've got to really consider playing.

jsnake716

jsnake716

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

The first and imo, most important to realize is that your hand strength without knowing the table, the amount of BB's, players in front or behind, is just hand strength and you should never make decisions only based on the 2 cards you hold.

Now, AA for me, early in a MTT is just another hand, 1 of a couple hundred that I must play to win the tournament. So many people see AA and just jamm without second thought, now you are 80+ to win ( against 1 opponent) BUT if it is multi-way, you end up being out drawn by suited connectors. Evaluate the hand and position, I am not going to say fold AA in a heads up situation ever, well almost.

This is not a yes or no answer, just like so many questions in poker. To me learning and improving is as exciting as winning a small stakes MTT

O

Oldstrings

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Fair enough.

no. it doesn't make me think because i don't waste my time worrying about irrelevant things that doesn't help me improve my game.
Fair enough. Didn’t mean to waste your time.

Folding in Poker