A7 Suited

A

A7Suited

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
3 hours into an online tourney your in money get A2-7 suited are these hands worth risking have your stack before the flop???

lektrikguy

lektrikguy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Depends on your stack/position/table. If you're under 10 BB and at risk of blinding out sometimes you gotta take a shot. But in general it's not a strong hand at all. You are really only looking for the flush, if you hit an ace on the board you're most likely gonna get outkicked.

A

A7Suited

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
i see so many ppl play it like a strong hand. I never thought it was very strong but i do tend to call raises pre flop with these suited A3-9 and only get maybe 10% of them winning

psy0nyd3

psy0nyd3

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I always feel that you shouldn't play weak aces unless you're getting a good price because the chance of getting outkicked is so high. But late in tournaments you never know as peoples ranges become way wider. Especially if you're down low at that 10BB spot on the button and you dont know if you'll have a better oppurtunity. At that point you gotta make your move or pray for a better hand.

D

dan abnormal

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
I too am out to lunch on AXs , If its not suited I wont play low kicker usually 10 is the lowest but if its suited and I can get in cheap, I like to see if I see a flop but then I run into a bind if I have 4 of a suite on the flop and someone starts pushing hard and if they dont, I have read that Im suppose to push very hard, even all in to get everyone out or to thin the group down but still its a hard decision if I even want to continue the hand. And of course hitting the nuts on the flop is even harder. If I can keep the pot low I will take it as far until Im pushed out of the pot

Daniel72

Daniel72

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Its not a very strong hand, but if your stack is under ten big blinds and you are on the button or in the small blind, push it ! If you have more people behind you, then a push with (for instance) 89s is better than a shove with Ax, because you get likely called by a stronger ace...

M

mosseyAJ

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If I am in position with no other callers is usually the only way I will play a weak ace, or if there are only 2-5 players at my table..

C

coopb2005

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
If i have position and I have a larger stack than the raiser...usually 2:1. I will definitely call. If its only 2-5 players at the table I'll actually raise at this point so I can tell what the other person has. If they have a stronger A than they'll go all in or raise even bigger. Losing chips is part of the game when you get a feel for the other player.

A

arrytus

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
no never unless i am down to like less than 10 bb. it's only like 55 percent heads up against any two cards, right?

M

Mr Whatever

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Its not a very strong hand, but if your stack is under ten big blinds and you are on the button or in the small blind, push it ! If you have more people behind you, then a push with (for instance) 89s is better than a shove with Ax, because you get likely called by a stronger ace...

nice points, yeah thats what usually happens.

lek, summed it up very well also.

smurray139

smurray139

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Easy fold for me, depending on stack size and position.

xdeucesx

xdeucesx

Bar Master
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
only if you can see a cheap flop and flop the flush, if not, youll only lose over the long run with it

J

jcsaint

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I'll play them hard if I'm short stacked, in a late position, and first to bet. This is particularly true of the players to act after me also have short stacks. The goal is to steal the blinds. If someone calls, then pray for a flush.

O

onemorechance

live free or die
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
then a push with (for instance) 89s is better than a shove with Ax, because you get likely called by a stronger ace...

I don't think this is right

belerophon

belerophon

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
One of the interesting points to consider about a weaker ace is if you get the right odds in position and flop two pair. You can usually stack off the stronger ace.
That's not going to happen often though so the price better be right. Of course they can then hit 2nd pair on the turn or river so...

B

billyth3kid

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
chances are your dominated or 50 50... ur NEVER going to be dominating someone else... either he has two cards inbetween like a QJ and its an even match up like 55%-45% or he has a better ace and hes 70% to win...ur never going to be in a situation where you have there hand dominated

The Lucky Saint

The Lucky Saint

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
If I am in position with no other callers is usually the only way I will play a weak ace, or if there are only 2-5 players at my table..

I have to strongly agree with this one here... A-2, A-7, A-10 are some of my favs.

"The Lucky Saint"

JasonD1014

JasonD1014

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
completely depends on your stack and position. i dont think id risk half my stack on it though

M

mosseyAJ

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have to strongly agree with this one here... A-2, A-7, A-10 are some of my favs.

"The Lucky Saint"

I strongly disagree with your strong disagree-ance. A-2, and A-7 out of position unless you are extremely deeply stacked is just stupid. And A-10 isn't a weak ace.

S

swingro

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It is not a strong hand. But if the blinds are high and the guy in your right is pushing you every time u have to reraise with it once because waiting for good cards will get you nowhere.

At the 9/11/2010 FT CC freeroll i was in the last 3 ppl standing and the guy in my right was pushing me every hand and of course i only had garbage in my hand. I reraised once i recived A6s. He went all in and i called being pot comitted. He had 99 me A6 suited and he had like 3-5 BB left. I hit the A on the river and doubled up. This was the only hand i was behind at the showdown in all the tourney but i was lucky. From there it was easy to win the tourney since i was way ahead.

But that was the final table with 3 ppl left so i played loose. In early stages u throw A6s without thinking. U can steal with it from the button in middle stages but that's it.

Last edited:
mars_attack

mars_attack

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Never play these hands at this stage just on 2 instances: if you have a stack les than 10 BB or if you have a great read on your opponent and you are pretty sure that he does not have a made hand and he is kind of bluffing.

W

wobble

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i see so many ppl play it like a strong hand. I never thought it was very strong but i do tend to call raises pre flop with these suited A3-9 and only get maybe 10% of them winning

If you are short stacked and/or short handed in a tournament, pushing with any ace is fine.

However, calling an early position raise with Ace-rag is pretty bad IMO, you have a very high chance of begin dominated.

short handed and/or short stacked I would re-raise / shove if I though the original raiser was stealing. With a big stack and many players I would fold without a thought. You are asking to be dominated by a better ace in this position.

M

Myusername

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Normally no but each situation is different

With a full table and out of position this is usually an easy choice to fold, but if you are in the sb or button yes I would play if the situation is right. The only other time I play it is when I get a certain hunch that it will win and I have learned personally if I do not listen to this poker hunch I find out on the flop I should have played it. These hunches come rarely and sometimes I fold anyway. I will sometimes play anything if the feeling is right enough and I know many of you will very much disagree with this but there are a few great poker players who do the same thing.

Poker is a complex game and many situations and factors need to be taken into consideration but as a general rule I say fold it especially early in a tourney when you see multiple all ins.

O

onemorechance

live free or die
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
With a full table and out of position this is usually an easy choice to fold, but if you are in the sb or button yes I would play if the situation is right. The only other time I play it is when I get a certain hunch that it will win and I have learned personally if I do not listen to this poker hunch I find out on the flop I should have played it. These hunches come rarely and sometimes I fold anyway. I will sometimes play anything if the feeling is right enough and I know many of you will very much disagree with this but there are a few great poker players who do the same thing.

Poker is a complex game and many situations and factors need to be taken into consideration but as a general rule I say fold it especially early in a tourney when you see multiple all ins.

How do you develop a hunch? Is it natural or did you have to work at it?