A10, early position, open raise?

jadaminato

jadaminato

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I know it all depends on the situation, so let's say for example the first stages of a cardschat club tournament (most tight players, with a couple of loose players at the table, and approximately 75bb). In general I usually fold A10 in early positions, but I'm not sure it's the right play. The reason is that if someone pays me and an ace appears on the flop I can't be sure to go ahead. Unless I get the nuts, I think it's a at doubtful hand. But then I see players opening with A7- and I wonder if I should take a bit more risk. Anyway, I accept any advice, but (without offending) I hope it will be accompanied by an explanation, because I am trying to learn and intuitions are too subjective.

:dancing2:

juliannorei

juliannorei

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The often betrays us, but most of the time you run with The anger was arrempender, think about it and create your own style of play so will be difficult to read their behavior at the tables .... good luck

Gohaku94

Gohaku94

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't think many people would fold AT in a freeroll if any. So no i wouldn't fold AT if i think people will call with worse ehich they are.

eurosTotnd

eurosTotnd

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i prefer to play super tight even in a CC freeroll actually i dont consider that players are opening more wide because its a freeroll specially on cardschat freerolls you can find good players playing only premium from early position

Anton Fedorov

Anton Fedorov

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
A10 is a good starting hand, especially in the early stages of the tournament, you will not lose a lot of chips by making an open raise. And playing postflop you can make easy fold if you don’t get nuts, you won’t lose too many chips. When getting into an ace on the flop, you need to play pot control, since often weak players can go on Ax weaker than your Ace and get in two pairs. Actually a marginal hand. Play carefully and do not try to win a lot of chips, it is better to keep your stack.

M

myquickwit

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In a full ring game in early position I usually only play AT if its suited. In 9 handed game. In 6 handed I'm always opening with it.

Jon Poker

Jon Poker

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
A10o at a full 9 handed table from early position is a no no...what happens if you get 3 bet? Not to mention most any hands that do call your raise, will have you crushed. I only open A10 from early positions if it is suited and my stack is decently healthy. If I do get 3bet, I know that my kicker is likely no good and if/when I call the 3bet I will be looking to flop 2 pair or better and to navigate any top pairs very cautiously.

6 handed tables are a whole different animal - I will always open A10o from UTG six handed. When your full table starts shrinking your opening ranges should be slightly widening - not to mention when the bubble is on and tons of mid and short stacks do not want to bust - it's a good time to be aggressive and snatch up chips while they all just fold and hope the others bust first!

A10 is a MEDIUM strength hand, remember that. No need to go crazy with it and put your tournament life at stake in the early stages.

pentazepam

pentazepam

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
SE
Chips
A10o is a clear fold UTG (and UTG+1, UTG+2) in full ring games deep.

A10s is often an opening raise hand especially if the table is passive.

In a freeroll or cheap tournament with very passive and loose players that call with every Ax and worse - and play horribly after the flop - you can maybe sometimes play it.

But in general the line for opening under the gun in full ring goes AQo+. A10s+, 77+.

Almost all charts have this for a reason.

TheDude6622

TheDude6622

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Call or raise are correct moves. Just depends on the table and your stack size.

A

Alfaomega

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
ATo is a clear fold UTG.ATs is often an opening raise hand especially if the table is passive.

wyoming4paul

wyoming4paul

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I hate to limp, but you can always limp to judge table strength.

jadaminato

jadaminato

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I hate to limp, but you can always limp to judge table strength.

It is almost impossible to limp early in cardchat tournaments without someone raising you

A10o is a clear fold UTG (and UTG+1, UTG+2) in full ring games deep.

A10s is often an opening raise hand especially if the table is passive.

In a freeroll or cheap tournament with very passive and loose players that call with every Ax and worse - and play horribly after the flop - you can maybe sometimes play it.

But in general the line for opening under the gun in full ring goes AQo+. A10s+, 77+.

Almost all charts have this for a reason.

I usually fold this hand just because of what I have read. But the other day I saw a video of David Kitai in a tournament and he said that A10 was his limit to open UTG. Although he is a professional.

A10o at a full 9 handed table from early position is a no no...what happens if you get 3 bet? Not to mention most any hands that do call your raise, will have you crushed. I only open A10 from early positions if it is suited and my stack is decently healthy. If I do get 3bet, I know that my kicker is likely no good and if/when I call the 3bet I will be looking to flop 2 pair or better and to navigate any top pairs very cautiously.

6 handed tables are a whole different animal - I will always open A10o from UTG six handed. When your full table starts shrinking your opening ranges should be slightly widening - not to mention when the bubble is on and tons of mid and short stacks do not want to bust - it's a good time to be aggressive and snatch up chips while they all just fold and hope the others bust first!

A10 is a MEDIUM strength hand, remember that. No need to go crazy with it and put your tournament life at stake in the early stages.

Thanks for the advice. Actually I mean table of 9 players. I have hardly played 6 or studied anything about it :)

Jon Poker

Jon Poker

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks for the advice. Actually I mean table of 9 players. I have hardly played 6 or studied anything about it :)

No problem, remember though, in a tournament as the field shrinks the tables will shrink as well - remember to open your range as players fall out.

veritasi

veritasi

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Try to find in Google open raises chart and choose the best one for you (there are lot's of them, i like bencb's most)

M

maxi_j

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Its OK to open AT in Card chart tournament. Or then recreational players are in the blinds and the is no players in position with high 3bet% or good postflop skills.

P

praevus

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I dont like to play this hand in early postion and in first stages because you dont know a lot of your opponents, this is a good hand when you are in later position and nobody raise after you or when you know something about others players.

S

sergo1203

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I am discarding these cards. I very rarely manage to win with them ..

A

Anglermeister

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
A10o i raise in late Position ( CU, BU ) and fold in Early Position and MP. But when the hand is suited i raise also in early position.

R

Richardszabo

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think it's quite okay to open the A10 in early position at 75BB. Against loose-style players, preflop often you will be favored. Earlier, I often threw A10 in this situation,but it's too tight.