A straight with a pair on the board

deeznutzz

deeznutzz

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you have a straight but there is a pair is on the board. You raise and the villian shoves you all in. Do you assume they probably have a straight as well so you call or because there is a pair on the board do you fold out your hand because it's possible the villian could have a full house or quads. I play in small stakes tournaments were the players are usually way too aggressive. I would guess about 75 percent of those players will shove with a high pair. With almost no information about the other player would you call or would you fold

wyoming4paul

wyoming4paul

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Depends how the hand played to that point and what's on the board. I've put them on a hand, will act according to that conclusion.

A

acemenow

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you are in a vacuum as you stated it's a fold IMO. But as stated by wyoming4paul, you kind of have to decide if you believe the line he took with regard to how it was played. If something smells fishy it may be just a fish move.

F

Fatman0912

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It depends on how the hand was played before. But at the other hand, when you have a straight, it is bit unlucky that your opponent would have a full house. So it might be worth the risk to call. But always stay focused.

riverlizard3

riverlizard3

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
a little of both

Ok your worst fears are realized, you are being challenged to make a decision that could maybe send you out the door,or give your stack a big boost, was he hanging on hoping for his boat? did he get a set? unless it was the end of your tourney I would call and ,yes, lose a percentage of the time.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you have a straight but there is a pair is on the board. You raise and the villian shoves you all in. Do you assume they probably have a straight as well so you call or because there is a pair on the board do you fold out your hand because it's possible the villian could have a full house or quads. I play in small stakes tournaments were the players are usually way too aggressive. I would guess about 75 percent of those players will shove with a high pair. With almost no information about the other player would you call or would you fold

There is no general answer to such a question. Stack size, previous action, board runout and opponent tendencies all matter. Its much better, if you share an actual hand history in the tournament forum :)

D

digdug0037

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Depends on how early in the tourney and my chip stack. If its early I will call and also If I have a huge chip advantage. If its later in tourney or I am playing tighter because of my stack I will fold. That pair on the board is a scary thing, and I have been caught by it too many times to take chances at the wrong time.

thetick33

thetick33

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

ok pt #1..... what type of stacks are we talking about???
pt #2 is again in relationship to your stack vs their stack and what place you are sitting when enter the hand in tournament?
pt #3 what has happened up to this point in the tournament and in this hand???
pt #4 where in this hand are you? flop turn or river?
pt #5 and might be most important table position yours? and more important villian?

with the information you have about villians in this tournament is probably a call but id like this other information to make a better judgement.

if is villians big blind and he called a raise is more likely he had a pair and has the boat.....