A question pertaining to the min-raise

shinedown.45

shinedown.45

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Blinds are 250/500

Why is 1000 considered a min-raise and 1150 isn't?

IMO, they are the same relatively speaking, what are players trying to accomplish by such a weak bet, just because you throw in another half SB into your bet doesn't make it any less a min-raise, not to me anyway.

gjwalk

gjwalk

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
A min raise is the least amount you can raise, so, if the blinds are 250/500 a min raise is 500 more. You can't raise less than the big blind. A raise of more than 500 would not be a min raise even if it's just 50 more. But, your right there really is not a lot of difference in adding that little bit extra, unless it's purpose is to just add a little extra to the pot without scaring anyone out.

shinedown.45

shinedown.45

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
A min raise is the least amount you can raise, so, if the blinds are 250/500 a min raise is 500 more. You can't raise less than the big blind. A raise of more than 500 would not be a min raise even if it's just 50 more. But, your right there really is not a lot of difference in adding that little bit extra, unless it's purpose is to just add a little extra to the pot without scaring anyone out.
I understand what a min-raise is and what amount constitutes a min-raise but there are those who would argue that adding a half SB to a min-raise negates the min-raise.
As for maybe wanting to add more to the pot(get value for a strong hand), any 3xBB+ bet would achieve the same effect and add proper value to your strong hands.
An EP raise 1150 (using 250/500 blinds)will virtually give the rest of the table good odds to call, How? some may be asking, with such a small bet we can assume the BB is not going anywhere(the mandatory, defend BB with ATC mentality) so we can safely say there is going to be another 650 added to the pot by the BB, so now the odds of calling the EP raiser with as little as any suited connectors is a good move.

maezma

maezma

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
For my 1150 it is still a mini increase because the difference is minimal. I totally agree with what you propose in the publication.

eberetta1

eberetta1

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Agree with you totally. Only reason I would do it is to get rid of some odd color chips. Or those were the chips I happened to have in my hand.

Also, i have done it with the intention of stopping someone from doing an all in 3 times in a row. Not that it will stop them, but make them pause to think this limper may have something.

Rui Ferreira

Rui Ferreira

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Blinds are 250/500

IMO, they are the same relatively speaking, what are players trying to accomplish by such a weak bet, just because you throw in another half SB into your bet doesn't make it any less a min-raise, not to me anyway.
In my view 1150 is minimal as well, but it is more appropriate than 1000 you increase, I think only question of same vision

Bozovicdj

Bozovicdj

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Blinds are 250/500

5-10 years ago, bets pre-flop in both tournaments and cash games were 3BBs (even higher in cash games), and then the game evolved further so pros decided they needed a bit of protection in case they don't connect with the flop. That protection was reducing the bet sizes pre flop to about 2,2 - 2,5 BBs.

Reasoning is that in 10 bets pre-flop, you are actually preserving 5-8BBs total which is quite significant, especially in tournaments. At the same time, a player who values his cards to be good enough to see a flop will pay both 2,2/2,5 or 3BBs to see the flop.

TeUnit

TeUnit

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I also think some villans will never fold to a min raise, but they may fold to slightly bigger than a min raise.

This Fish Chums

This Fish Chums

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think adding .5 SB to a bet is a lot like adding a goat to a gunfight.

Red0nkulousAK

Red0nkulousAK

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm fine with the raise, I wanna see the flop w/ 7h9h anyways

Viper ChipIt

Viper ChipIt

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It allows you to open up your range and steal the blinds cheaper and since to stay unpredictable you have to balance your range people make this open raise with there entire range.