A little advice wanted

C

CSLysander

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I am a tight aggressive player that has some loose moments. The thing is, I can run deep into some tournaments. I have won some, but it has been a little while. Now that I am on ACR, I am running deep, but not even making it to the final table there. I try to play a little looser and it backfires every single time. What would be a good suggestion in taking it to the next level? Could it just be I am running as far on talent in these tournaments and not getting the right luck is hurting me?

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
To give a qualified answer I would need much more information like:

1) How many tournaments have you played?
2) What is the average buyin?
3) What is the average field size?
4) What is your ROI?

Or even better. Simply share some hand histories in the hand review forum and see, what forum members have to say about potential leaks in your game.

maestro121920

maestro121920

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
To give a qualified answer I would need much more information like:

1) How many tournaments have you played?
2) What is the average buyin?
3) What is the average field size?
4) What is your ROI?

Or even better. Simply share some hand histories in the hand review forum and see, what forum members have to say about potential leaks in your game.

great question and great advice to post hand histories

C

CSLysander

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I will start posting some hand histories. For now, with little or no money, I am doing the freerolls on ACR with one 11c one. The freerolls are normally 1000 to 1500 and I am making it usually to past 100. I have gotten to 18 so far. The 11c one was the one where it is a 4 hour lr and I made it to around 20 on that one.

Serjo600

Serjo600

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If this happens, then the quality of the game decreases, you need to pull up your leaks and analyze your hands, you should also maintain discipline

R

ROYALROAD

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It isn't also easy to go to a final table.

tazer

tazer

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I will start posting some hand histories. For now, with little or no money, I am doing the freerolls on ACR with one 11c one. The freerolls are normally 1000 to 1500 and I am making it usually to past 100. I have gotten to 18 so far. The 11c one was the one where it is a 4 hour lr and I made it to around 20 on that one.

Honestly being loose at those stakes will most of the time come back to bite you because they will call with anything. So bluffing is a massive no-no. Just stick to what you're doing in the early-mid stages and everything should come together for you at the late stages.

Just as an example of low stakes. I flop an open ended straight draw. Bet 1/2 pot on the flop in LP. Get called by UTG. Turn is a brick card. He checks, I bet he calls. River completes a few other draws on the board, not mine of course. He checks once again. I go ahead and put out a little under half pot bet out there. He calls with A high...

Point is, it doesn't matter how you play, right or wrong some players will just click buttons and get lucky. Stick to what works for you and you'll find success at the tables.

eberetta1

eberetta1

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
If you generally make it to the top 100 in a 1000 to 1500 player tourney, there is not really much complaint to be done. You are generally placing in the top 7 to 10 percent positions which, can't be asked for much more. Most tourneys pay the top 15 to 20 percent of the players entering the tournament, so you should basically be in the money most games.

I would next be checking out that if it takes me 4 hours to get in the money, I would prefer the payout not be below $4, else it is wasting my time. You have to determine how much your time is worth. I have played in tournaments where 3 hours of my time paid 22 cents to be in the money. Can you better spend your time elsewhere. We don't get time back in our life.

theheeb1984

theheeb1984

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Honestly being loose at those stakes will most of the time come back to bite you because they will call with anything. So bluffing is a massive no-no. Just stick to what you're doing in the early-mid stages and everything should come together for you at the late stages.

Just as an example of low stakes. I flop an open ended straight draw. Bet 1/2 pot on the flop in LP. Get called by UTG. Turn is a brick card. He checks, I bet he calls. River completes a few other draws on the board, not mine of course. He checks once again. I go ahead and put out a little under half pot bet out there. He calls with A high...

Point is, it doesn't matter how you play, right or wrong some players will just click buttons and get lucky. Stick to what works for you and you'll find success at the tables.

I couldn't agree more with this as the low stakes really have people not thinking much as they look at it with the eyes of it is only pennies to them and not worried at all about a bankroll. You will find it changes a bit more when the stakes get higher and you are playing even 0.25/0.50 games.

A

ataraxyan

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think you are still good. Just be patient and keep hanging in there. Sometimes it necessary to check out your strategy but don't suspect yourself if it's the right strategy. It's like wave. Sometimes you're on high phase but most of the times it isn't. And sometimes if your strategy was right but the odds doesn't help you. That's what poker is. Just accept it.

tauri103

tauri103

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
at the end of the game you have to play with max hands to reduce the effect of variance on your game. it is not easy to reach a final table and it is wise not to take too much risk at this time. the part. to win a mtt you have to have luck on your side because you will have to win several flips to reach this goal.

IntenseHeat

IntenseHeat

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I find myself having the same problem as the OP. I can run deep and make the money. But somewhere between making the money and making it to the final table, where the payouts really become worthwhile, I always seem to run into some monster stacked player than ends up getting lucky on me. I tend to contribute it to the format of most of the tournaments with unlimited re-entry and long late registration periods. These types of formats have completely changed the game. In the past, I would have avoided rebuy/add on and re-entry tournaments. But now I have no choice. There is pretty much no such thing as freezeout tournaments any more, with the exception of freerolls.

Back in the day, before Black Friday, I used to play tournaments on the Big 3 sites that averaged 3000 - 3500 players and was regularly finishing in the top twenty. Back then you would see gambling type players taking big risks and sometimes they paid off. But when they didn't, that player would be gone. As tournaments progressed, you would see less and less gambling players and more steady poker players in the field. Nowadays though, those gambling players just fire another bullet. In fact more players are willing to make big gambles in less than optimal spots because they know that they can just re-buy back in. I constantly see players calling pre-flop all-ins with ridiculous hands, in hopes of getting lucky and quadrupling or quintupling up. If they lose they re-enter and do it again until it pays off. When it does, the pot they win will often be big enough to send them to the top of the leaderboard, with enough chips that they put average stacked players in positions where they either have to get out of the way or put their entire stack at risk.

I, on the other hand, am the type of player that likes to build my stack steadily, while avoiding putting all my chips at risk if I can help it. When I do get knocked out before making the money, it is often so late into the late registration period that re-entering doesn't make sense for my style of play. I often notice that when one of these reckless players with a monster stack knocks me out, they are playing on their third of fourth entry.

Last night I was playing with a guy that came to the table with 90K in chips, when the table average was about 30K. He was raising to 3x every hand and playing aggressively post-flop. He took a lot of pots down without even seeing a flop. But he lost as many pots as he won. At one point I raised pre and he re-raised. I flopped top pair and check/raised him. He shoved over the top of me with middle pair. He ended up doubling me up, but I was holding my breath the whole time, praying he didn't get lucky and draw out on me. Just when he got down to about 50K in chips, and I was thinking he might have to settle down, he made a call with middle pair, just like he had against me. This time he did get lucky. And just like that, he was back up to 90K in chips again. When he got moved to another table, I looked for him on the leaderboard so I could watch and see if he continued to play the same way and noticed that he was on his third buy-in.

Eventually, I got knocked out after flopping the nut straight against two other players. One of them had flopped a set. The other one had flopped the nut flush draw. I bet a little more than half the pot with my straight. The player with the set shoved for about 5x what was in the pot and we both called. The pot was huge and whoever won it was going to find themselves with a top ten stack as late registration wound down. The flush draw ended up getting there and knocking me out and crippling the other player. I watched the action for a little while before logging out. I looked at the leaderboard out of curiosity and saw that one of the players was on his third entry and the other was on his fourth.

I know, I didn't really give any advice. I'm not sure what advice to give you, or if you really need any. I've always played tight/aggressive poker. Once my tight/aggressive image has been established at a table, I'll take advantage of it and widen my range. This has always worked well for me in the past. After all, skill usually wins out over luck. But given enough chances, luck will eventually pay off. That's what todays game formats do. Unlimited re-buys and re-entries and long late registration periods give luck more chances to pay off. Skill still beats luck. But luck is being given more chances. I don't know what advice I can give anyone to help them overcome that. Just hang in there and keep playing solid poker.

Last edited:
mervin88

mervin88

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
just hang in there brother keep grinding and apply bankroll management soon you will win a tournament