A J

amxvulcan

amxvulcan

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Down to four players in a tournament that pays top three. I am in third position with about 5000 chips. Fourth place has about 4000 chips. I am dealt A J off in the BB. Blinds are 200-400. Fourth place raises to 1000, Other two players had folded. What is a good play here, raise, fold, or call? I went all in, villain tanked and then called with A 4.

ADRI7HO

ADRI7HO

On the road...
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think all-in is a perfectly good decision in this situation. In the long run, A, J is much better than A, 4.
So all-in and prayer to the poker gods to hold your hand. :D

I

Ianmacca99

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think all in is the play too you've got around 12bb waiting for better spots might not come

J

Jack Reacher

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You played correctly here i hope that the luck stayed also with you in this hand.

Alex_Ogienko

Alex_Ogienko

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Here's an all-in without options.

amxvulcan

amxvulcan

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Villain did make the call and sucked out a 4 on the flop. This crippled me and I was out a few hands later on the bubble. Because the villain was in last place I thought , after the hand, I should have waited for him to either blind out or get beaten on a later hand. I thought this might be a leak I have. Thanks

Glaucopone

Glaucopone

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello my table friend,As Negreanu says, it is always better to be the aggressor of the hand. All In or raise !? Go with your style, play safer watching the flop or risk an All in ... seeing many wsop, EPT, Caribbean tournaments, there are both situations, some professionals give All In and others raise.

gl!!

rj_montana

rj_montana

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
That's an all in for sure. Strategically the 4th place player is the worst one for you to lose your chips to (as you're both fighting to qualify for the 3rd place cash) , combined with ranges and effective stacks, there's no question about the play

IntenseHeat

IntenseHeat

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
At that point, with 12.5BB I am definitely going to go all-in. Trying to wait the short stack out is an option. However, with only 2.5BB separating your stack from his, I would forgo that option. You see, while you feel, that you have the option of waiting, the short stack is likely to feel that they have no choice but to play. If he takes down one pot or even just picks up the blinds a couple of times and suddenly you're on the short stack, and it could be a while before you see a hand as good as A-J again. I'd rather take my fate in my own hands than count on someone else getting knocked out.

Matt_Burns88

Matt_Burns88

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Villain did make the call and sucked out a 4 on the flop. This crippled me and I was out a few hands later on the bubble. Because the villain was in last place I thought , after the hand, I should have waited for him to either blind out or get beaten on a later hand. I thought this might be a leak I have. Thanks

Unlucky, but the right play and you have to focus on what you did rather than how the board ran out.

In terms of ICM (and I'm no expert), but waiting for a guy with 2.5BB's less than you is not a good tactic. If you have 20-25 BB's and you have 2 big stacks of say 40+ BB's then yeah, maybe you let this go and give the big stacks the opportunity to bust the short stack.

mar_dragan

mar_dragan

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yea in that moment all in is perfect move.
So yeah,well done and good Job.
That was good move from you.
Cheers!