Which is a better approach?

P

Percivalpl

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I always have a problem when I know that my hand is going to win or at least tie. What is better, going all in and risking scaring the opponent(s), or pretending to be scared and check hoping they will raise?

63burner

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
No all-in and no check.

If you have a hand where you can't lose; the goal becomes maximizing your win. If enemy has a decent hand, they will bet it, unless it's an all in. To lure them in, perhaps a very small, almost scared raise? A decent hand will usually match your small bet, at the least.

If it plays out right, enemy raises your small bet, you could see and raise, if you have the nuts.

nera75

nera75

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You have to understand exactly when to go all in. And when to bluff, I will advise you to learn the strategy of the game and you should all get good luck!

Inequitas

Inequitas

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I always have a problem when I know that my hand is going to win or at least tie. What is better, going all in and risking scaring the opponent(s), or pretending to be scared and check hoping they will raise?

If you have a hand where you can't lose; the goal becomes maximizing your win. If enemy has a decent hand, they will bet it, unless it's an all in. To lure them in, perhaps a very small, almost scared raise? A decent hand will usually match your small bet, at the least.

If it plays out right, enemy raises your small bet, you could see and raise, if you have the nuts.

Totally agree with 63burner, unless you've been consistently Ramming then continue to ram they'll see no difference in your game play and be none the wiser... The way you play consistently weighs against what you do when you have something special and it can some times be an obvious indication that you have the nuts...

M

mtmigmike

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
if you are 80 percent sure that you have a winning hand, then you can try to fool your opponent and raise gradually.

ANATOLII1981

ANATOLII1981

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
what to choose ??

It is difficult to say, because it is necessary to roughly represent the range of possible hands of your opponent. If he is much weaker than your strong hand, then the right decision would be to raise chips from him with small raises. Va-bank will definitely scare him and you will not get anything. If you are sure that he has a strong hand, but still a little weaker than yours, then the right decision would be to go all-in or make big raises. And in other more complex and thoughtful actions it would be better to pretend - for example, you have a full house, and he has a flash.))))):mad::mad::mad:

M

Millie232

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You should be changing your play based on who you're playing against: if you put your opponent on a strong hand that you still have decent equity against, you might want to go all in. If you're putting them on a weaker hand without many draws, bet a bit smaller so they will consider calling. If you're putting them on a weaker hand but with many draws, bet a little bigger so that they pay the wrong price to see the cards. It's important to remember that getting your opponent to fold is never -EV - sure you might not be maximising it, but you will never lose money by getting your opponents to fold in any one hand. But it's important to be constantly checking your range against your opponent's as well as seeing how they play certain hands so that you can be making up your mind, because there are almost always situations where any kind of weird decision becomes the best one to make.

Djangofreeman

Djangofreeman

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you have a very strong hand with +75% of won, it's good to raise small bets, and try to make one trap at river. I mean some guys will try to do sometimes one medium raise to try get the pot, so you can reraise .

S

spottedflyer

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
A small raise is what I think should be done, if he raises you raise again and so forth, I wouldn't go all in at first because the others could easily be scared out of the game, but then again it depends on what kind of an opponent you have, maybe it's someone who pays everything with anything. Poker is a great game :)

IntenseHeat

IntenseHeat

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't understand why it has to be all or nothing. Getting maximum value doesn't always mean getting a full double up or taking your opponent's entire stack. Maximum value is the most you can get your opponent to call. This might be 1/2 to 2/3 pot, or even full pot size. In some cases it may be all-in. If the most your opponent is willing to pay off is a 2/3 pot sized bet, then that is the maximum value of your hand. That's something you have to figure out from one hand to the next and from one player to another, as well as the best way to coax that amount out of each player. These are the nuances of poker that make it a skill game.

kidkarioka

kidkarioka

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't hide game. If I have the nut, I'll take money from the villain. If you tie, I play as if I have the nut, always!:)

arenaci

arenaci

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In my opinion the most important thing here is to know your villain. If the villain is a calling station then you should bet. If an aggro then check to induce a bluff. If a regular then it gets a bit complicated and depends on the history between you two.

Threshold2122

Threshold2122

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would have to say in my opinion if the guy is being aggressive you can slow down and let them do the betting for you. But if you see him slow down then I would place value bets to extract as many chips as possible from them.