9's wired

N

Nlcross1

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Are pocket 9's a good enough starting hand in nl holdem to call 4x the big blind?

A

ataraxyan

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It depends on the number of players. If it's under 6 rings, it's quite not bad, especially in pre-flop. But as you know, pocket pair is strong in the beginning, but gets weaker with each steps. So you can just make a big bet in the early stage or just wait to hit the set.

akgross

akgross

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Pocket nines are not the best stake hand. We need a flop set to continue the raise. In this case, we make a decision depending on the conditions that develop in the tournament.

Newzooozooo

Newzooozooo

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Are pocket 9's a good enough starting hand in nl holdem to call 4x the big blind?

Hi.
I do not think so. There are many factors to consider, so it is almost impossible to give such a clear and unambiguous answer.
Good luck.

C

CSLysander

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Early position it is a call., not a raise. If the betting has returned to you, then it depends on the initial aggressor. Someone who is normally tight may have woken up, so be careful.

Mid position is an initial raise. If the betting has come back, same as first.

Late position is a determining time. This is an automatic raise for GTO, but make sure the people who raised before you are the sort you can go toe to toe with.

It is a good group of cards. There are even some professionals that will say to push with the hand. Chip stacks and players should determine the best move. That said, if the people are acting timid, then an all in could steal the pot without a showdown. You still have good odds against Ax hands and lower pairs that people see as a good time to make a move.

Garfield52

Garfield52

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don't think I would be risking a lot of money on pocket nines especcially with my luck starting with QQ, KK or AA. Be careful !!!!

V

valetgll

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Well, depending on where you want to apply it. That is, it depends on the table you are sitting at and on your stack if you are playing in a tournament. With a small stack, you even need to go all-in. I would do that.