My 8 game advice! part 3 - Limit Omaha 8 or Better

richierichnz

richierichnz

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi all, I was asked to write a blog about my experience in the pokerstars 8 game.

Currently im a breakeven player at that game, however I know I can get better.

Just a run down on all the games available:

Limit 2-7 Triple Draw
Limit Holdem
Limit Omaha 8 or Better
Razz
Stud
Stud 8 or Better
No Limit Holdem
Pot Limit Omaha

==================================================================

Today, in the third part of my series, I will talk about Limit Omaha 8 or Better and my strategy around this.

Limit Omaha 8 or Better is a "community card" game.

The goal is to make the best 5 card hand, with 2 of your cards matching 3 of the cards on the board for both the high and low hand. Your ultimate goal is to "scoop" the pot, winning both the high and low hand.

A2345 is the nuts in this game. You win both the low hand and you have a very good chance at winning the high hand with the straight.

I am not completely clued up to the best hands, however I will make my best effort possible to illustrate to you what I know in regards to what I believe the best hands to have are:

The Ace is the most powerful card in Omaha.

A2sA3s - double suited (the best possible starting hand you can have. AA for high and A2 for the nut low and the nut flush draw. Also if a 2 or 3 hits, you will not be counterfieted.

What does being counterfieted mean? It means for example when you have A2 for a low draw, if the 2 hits, then anyone with a A3 now has the best possible draw to the low. Thus why having A2sA3s is the best starting hand as the likelyhood that you will be counterfieted goes down.

What are other good hands you might ask? A2sA4s and A2sA5s are excellent hands, as these hands will scoop the pot alot of the time too when low cards hit, as you will have the straight draw and an excellent low draw at least. Also A3sA4s and A3sA5s doubled suited are also very good starting hands.

Other good starting hands are:

LOW HANDS:

A2s34, A2s35, A2s45, A3s45. If the board has 2 low cards, you will likely have the best low draw vs any opponent and have the best straight draw / flush draw for the absolute nuts if the flop is a rainbow one (3 different suits), or if the flop gives you the nut flush draw.

Middle cards between 6 and 9 are no good in Omaha. Why is this? They will make 2nd best hands alot of the time, especially 2nd best straights, flushes and full houses.

Straights, flushes and full houses is what Omaha is all about. You will hardly win a big pot with 1 pair, 2 pair or trips. There are just too many cards your opponents can catch to hit their draw. Although with top set on a paired board, you may be able to win the pot if there is not too many players to act in the hand and you can draw to the full house too.

Other good hands are as follows

HIGH HANDS:

AKsAKs AQsAQs AJsAJs and ATsATs

Why are these good hands?

Well with AKsAKs if the flop comes QJT rainbow, or with all the same suit matched to your hand, you have just flopped the nuts for the straight or flush OR straight flush! :)

Well with AQsAQs if the flop comes KJT rainbow, or with all the same suit matched to your hand, you have just flopped the nuts for the straight or flush OR straight flush! :)

Well with AJsAJs if the flop comes KQT rainbow, or with all the same suit matched to your hand, you have just flopped the nuts for the straight or flush OR straight flush! :)

Well with ATsATs if the flop comes KQJ rainbow, or with all the same suit matched to your hand, you have just flopped the nuts for the straight or flush OR straight flush! :)

Also something to note: If you hit these hands hard like I illustrated above, there will be NO low hand awarded (and you will likely scoop the entire pot), since there is no 2 cards 8 or lower.

The only thing stopping you from scooping the pot with the nut flush or nut straight on the flop is of course the board pairing on the turn or river as there is a possibility one of your opponents may have hit a full house. Good hand reading will be required here to figure out what to do on the turn or river if you are raised.

What to do if you are raised on the turn or river on a paired board vs your nut flush / straight? Well if you are in a tournament, consider folding - especially if you are low on chips and the blinds are high and you are up against a TAG (Tight Aggressive Opponent).

If you are up against a LAG (Loose Aggressive Opponent), consider staying in the hand and risking your tournament life.

Remember this, you need 3 low cards between Ace and 8 on the flop, turn or river to hit to make a 5 card low hand. IF there are only 2 cards lower then 8 by the river, then there is NO low hand and the high hand will SCOOP the entire pot! :)

Remember the Ace is the most powerful card in Limit Omaha 8 or better. Because it acts as a low card AND a high card.

Other high hands to consider playing when you are a newbie to Limit Omaha 8 or Better?

AKQJ, AKJT AQJT. Why? If 3 high cards hit the flop and it is a rainbow flop, you likely have flopped the nut straight! :)

=================================================================

In terms of betting, the 1st 2 streets (preflop and the flop cost 1 bet and the turn and river cost 2 bets. Of course you can raise with a strong hand at any time, however the raise is only very small as this is Limit Omaha 8 or Better (and not Pot Limit Omaha), so your opponents are getting very good odds to try to outdraw you.

One final thing to consider is that if you are only going for the low hand and you split the low pot with another player, YOU will lose money. Ie. it costs you 25c between 3 players to enter the pot down to river showdown. If the pot at river showdown is 75c, 1/2 goes to the high hand winner which is 37.50c and you and the other low hand winner splits the remaining 37.50c with you, meaning you are only getting back 18.75c back from the 25c invested by you in the hand. Of course the potsize does not take into account the small and big blind, but you get my point right?

You will LOSE money by splitting the low 1/2 of the pot with another player. This is called Quartering or winning only 1/4 of the pot.

Another thing to consider when playing a cash game or any tournament in Limit Omaha 8 or Better.

So that concludes part 3 of my series on playing 8 game poker on PokerStars. I have created a Home Games club on PokerStars for anyone interested in playing 8 game. I would suggest to wait until I have revealed all 8 parts of my series on 8 game mix before playing 8 game though, to make sure you are equipped with the best information possible.

Thanks for listening everyone! Any questions or suggestions on how I can improve my blog is greatly appreciated :)

Best regards,

Richard Cuming
richierichnz from PokerStars

For more info on this blog and my journey on PokerStars, feel free to visit and like my public facebook page :

https://www.facebook.com/Richierichn...dmin_todo_tour

To join my PokerStars Home Game and play 8 game poker with me online, send me a invitation request to by following the following instructions:

Open the poker stars main poker lobby, then click on the Home Games tab.

Click the 'Join a Poker Club' button
Enter my Club ID number: 2176551
Enter my Invitation Code: becomeapokerprotoday

I have created 2 8 game tournaments a day! Only 11c! This tournament will be IDEAL for improving your 8 game performance, following my instructions :)

That's it! Once I've approved your membership request, we'll be ready to start playing Home Games online together.

If you want to find out more, visit https://www.pokerstars.com/poker/home-games which is the PokerStars Home Games web page.

richierichnz

richierichnz

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
52188139_761433477566761_4564668285588602880_n.jpg

Top 10 Games