7J 8Q 9K

R

RunningLikePluto

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Fold, fold, fold from anywhere but co/btn, never limp, only RFI. Your straights and flushes will be dominated too often limp/calling in MP, and calling opens in LP. Let villains play this garb from EP and MP

D

Dani_California

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
what do you think about 7J, 8Q, 9K hands?

Off-suits are rubbish and I never play them unless I get to do that completely free from the big blind. Suited ones however are a different story (in 6-max only). I usually play them in position if everyone else has folded so far. Sometimes I might even call if someone raises only small amount, let's say under 3bb for example, but that doesn't happen too often. And if I call, I continue very cautiously with a top pair since the kicker is not that great. Same thing with straights and flushes. Especially straights with those hands are too often dominated if your opponent shows strength as well. Most of the time I just fold if someone raises before my turn. They are good for stealing blinds from the cut-off, button and small blind but anything else becomes quite dangerous most of the time.

O

oldolm

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
if you are big stack over 100bb play this hands for sure, players are scared of your stack :)

Zorba

Zorba

Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AQ
Chips
This is terrible advice. Seriously.

As this is the learning poker forum please explain why it is terrible advice in your opinion.

You may need to read this --->> What is a Quality Post

I may not have worded it the same way but I slightly agree with him. If you can see a flop really cheap when you have a big stack then why not, these hands can hit the flop hard and your opponents may pay you off big.

:top:

Last edited:
P

PKRNRS

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
These are very playable hands but ONlY for very experienced players. Along with T6, 95, 84, 73, 62. You should proceed with extreme caution. They should always be suited and either in the unraised blinds or >5 players have limped in. And when you miss the flop you need to dump them as soon as possible.

R

RunningLikePluto

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
As this is the learning poker forum please explain why it is terrible advice in your opinion.

You may need to read this --->> What is a Quality Post

I may not have worded it the same way but I slightly agree with him. If you can see a flop really cheap when you have a big stack then why not, these hands can hit the flop hard and your opponents may pay you off big.

Fair enough. You’re right. The tone was really crummy and I didn’t mean it that way. My apologies.

To expand on my original reply and add some perspective to yours, I think playing hands like K9, particularly suited, in position for an open when you have the opportunity to raise as the first one to enter the pot is mandatory. (note: I’m almost never going to call an open from EP/MP with this hand unless there are multiple callers before me, and even then I’m more prone to squeeze)

Why? Because we’re going to bump it up between 3-4BBs with 2-3 left to act and a pot of 1.5BB in middle. The blinds tend to make looser calls vs preflop aggression due to the fact they’ve already got .5-1bb invested. So if we successfully steal from the button 33% of the time we win 1.5bb 33x in 100 hands, and get a caller in one or both the blinds the other 67% of the time (broken 50:50 between 1 caller and 2) so 33.5% of the pots will be 7BBs (heads up) and villain checks to us when he doesn’t connect with the flop, then folds to our cbet probably half the time. When villain connects we get donked into or check raised. It’s easy to let those hands go and give credit for a flopped set or whatever. The other 33.5% of time the pot is 10.5BB it’s still going check, check to us at least half the time, and given the presence of another player in pot our cbet will get thru a little less often, but will still be successful about 35%. When we get donked into or check raised or only called we aren’t playing two jokers, we have a top-30% hand that can play well postflop multiway, pair, two pair, pair and draw, etc. careful for being dominated when making straights with these hands. Sometimes we’re going to win a giant pot with these hands, and if we’re in position we can minimize exposure if we recognize our hand for what it is and release it.

When we’re OOP the script is totally flipped. I play a laggy style of poker, and I like to consider myself to be better than average. I can confidently play K9s in a 1/2/5 game in CO or OTB, I’m basically never playing in a position earlier than the hijack in a full ring game or the CO in a 6max game.

In the example of 100 hands raising K9s from btn vs small and big blind the case is compelling if we make the assumptions that 33% of pots we’ll win uncontested preflop.
(49.5 BBs)

We’ll get called by one blind 33% of time, and half of those hands we’ll win 7 BB with a flop cbet when checked to.
(115.5 BBs ) * it’s actually a tad more due to dead money from folded blind, but whatever.

When we get called by both blinds 33% of the time we’ll get a flop cbet thru on like 35% of the time or 11.5x per in 100 hands. When we do, we’ll win a pot worth 10.5BB.
(121.27 BBS)

The total amount won over the 100 hands would be just under 3 buy ins, 286 BB. Knock off 100 BB for when you and villain(s) connect with a flop you’re dominated and it’s still a winning strategy good for 186 BB/100 hands.

You’ll never get 100 hands like described in a session, but I’d be shocked if it didn’t occur 200x a month for anyone doing decent volume.

Zorba

Zorba

Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AQ
Chips
Now that's a quality post. :top: well done, the OP should get some help from it.

My thinking is when the blinds are still very low and you have a big stack on your table it all depends on the table dynamics, if the table is letting us limp in occasionally then I say take those chances, and I left out what PKRNRS said about dropping the hand if we miss the flop or aggression pre in my first reply.

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
if you are big stack over 100bb play this hands for sure, players are scared of your stack :)
Maybe against really bad players.

Vs better players, you're only playing with effective stacks. So, if you have 100 BB stack and I have a 20 BB stack, guess what? You're playing a bad hand with only 20 BBs.