3-bets - How to do it?

Iggykiddo

Iggykiddo

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi everyone,

I have a problem with my 3-bets almost always initiate a all-in from my opponent.

When sometimes I try to bring the pot up pre-flop without going all-in, I 3-bet way too high or too low.
I have a problem figure out a bet size on my 3-bets without it always goes to all-in.

What is usually your purpose for 3-betting?

To semi-bluff with hopes of getting a fold?
To bring up the pot pre-flop?
To initiate a all in from your opponent?

I know this post lack information in any kind regards opponents playstyles and table structures and so on.
But im just curious generally what your playstyle is like.

/Iggykid

Last edited:
GODZZ

GODZZ

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If i bluff it's almost always a semi bluff , i rarely bluff with air. And yeah if i 3 bet in PLO/8 i want the pot to grow , in NLH i want them to go all in most of the time lol

glgl

Iggykiddo

Iggykiddo

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If i bluff it's almost always a semi bluff , i rarely bluff with air. And yeah if i 3 bet in PLO/8 i want the pot to grow , in NLH i want them to go all in most of the time lol

glgl
Okey [emoji4]

This post is about NLH, shouldve mentioned it.

PaxMundi

PaxMundi

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Around 3x ip and 4x oop for cash games i'm not sure if tournaments vary much from that.

P

possle

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What is your aim? If you have a strong hand, you want your opponent to go all in preflop, don't you?

It depends on how deep you are. If your opponent open raises with 2-3 BBs with less than 20BBs, he will fold or shove your 3 bet. If you are deep your oppenents have the possibility to call. Moreover there are a lot of other reasons like position game, ITM, ICM.... so i think it's not possible to answer this question in general.

For example my 3 bets ususally are 3x open raise. But like i said that's not an general size.

AIexander K

AIexander K

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Sometimes, opening with a raise, you will receive a 3-bet. Here difficulties may begin, so let's answer some questions. Roughly speaking, your opponents at low limits can be divided into two main groups:

1. Group A includes players who, like most players at low stakes, will bet you with a tight range of about 3% or less. 3% are JJ +, AKo, AKs. They can fold part of this range into a 4-bet, but it’s more likely that they will shove when they put a 3-bet. Rising in limits, you will meet less and less such players. But even on nl200 such individuals are present.

2. Group B includes players who adjust 3-bets depending on the players and their 3-bet range is 6-10% of all hands.

The most important thing is to learn to attribute the opponent to a particular group. Once you identify your opponent, your strategy will be very simple.
Against group A, we fold everything that is worse than premium hands. It can be tricky because it looks like you're being exploited. But actually it is not. The opponent himself says that he has a hand, and you go around the trap, keeping your stack, even if you have a pair of jacks or an ace.
Against group B, you need to bet 4-bet for value with the top of the range, call with some middle hands, and bet 4-bet in semi-bluff with the best remaining hands.