1 Year of Poker - 10 Poker commandments from a N00b to another
My dear CC members...
It is exactly one year since I first learnt ABC of poker. I am happy to have come a long way since then and to have learnt so much about poker. Needless to say my learning curve has been steep since I joined Cardschat. There are some amazing folks in this forum, who go out of the way to help you learn them.
Just to celebrate my first year poker anniversary I thought I would write down what I have learn so far, which I hope will be helpful for someone who is learning the ropes in the poker world. And with a remote hope that I will etch a long lasting memory in CC history if this gets into Golden Archive
1. Do Learn, Practice, Review, Repeat: Poker is like a never ending book. If you stop reading new stuff you will be left behind. Do continue to learn no matter how much experienced you think you are.
2. Don't be result oriented: Focus on playing to best of your ability and results will follow.
3. Do learn to be patient: To begin with TAG is right approach to the game. This will mean playing in only ~20% of the hands. Observe others tendencies during the other 80% of the time. Thought TAG is right adjusting to others in the table is more important but you will learn this as you gain experience
4. Do understand the importance of Position and Aggression: Position and aggression when playing good starting cards will help avoid difficult decisions
5. Do accept Variance: Playing above the bankroll is sure way to your bust your roll. This is one way to prevent Tilt
6. Do value every chip/ penny/ cent you play for: This will ensure you make a play for the correct reason instead of gambling because it is just a few chips/ pennies / cents
7. Do have a goal: Focusing on a goal and playing within a limited game type, speed and format will help accelerate your learning process
8. Don't be afraid to seek help: There are loads of people here who help for question both on and off the felt. Make use of it.
9. Don't play Play Money games: : Sure they are a good way to get used to poker program but when there is nothing at stake the way players play will be lot different than when there is money to be make and hence you will see the difference as you move up the Buy-In levels
10. Do try other forms of Poker: By playing other variants of poker and limit structure you gain better understand of all the games.
I am sure there are others here who can help improve these.