1 year at cardschat - has CC improved my game ? - a review
So, a year has passed since I joined here - funny how fast it went.
My first post....
I'm new here and just wanted to say hello and good luck for all you poker players out there.
I'd like to give you a review about my first year here - caution it could get lengthy ...
I. The beginning....
I joined CC 10/25/08 just after having blown my astronomical BR of about 8$ I had won in a freeroll a few weeks earlier leaving 0.52$ on FT.
I started playing online poker early 2008 with limited success freeroll-whoring since I didn't want to deposit, possibly get addicted and go broke.
I started playing live poker age 8 though, mostly 5 card draw - my parents both loved playing and taught me the basics.
I found CC scanning for more freerolls
and joined immeadiately .... and I'm still here .
II. CC-the members, mods and makers
For me CC is truly the best online poker site
worldwide and it's the members, the mods and its maker- Nick - who make it so special.
1. The members:
If you need advice you'll get it - mostly friendly and on the point.
Don't expect sugar coating though - dumb mistakes deserve harsh answers .
I've learnt to know dozens of great members here (too many to mention ) and found new friends, too.
A special honourable mention goes to Nevadanick who helped me gain confidence and gave me great advice as a beginner. Thank you for being the great guy you are.
2. The mods
: A big thank you goes to the mods for running this site so smoothly and for not banning my garfing .
Thank you Nick for the idea of this site and for the time and money you bring in.
III. Poker what advice can I give ?
1. I'm still a micro-stake player not having much time (full-day job) for playing and I didn't make 1000000$ yet so won't bore you with my limited knowledge .
2. Learn to manage your BR - there are great threads here giving advice on that matter...
3. Don't get ****y - if you win don't squander it away thinking you can win every time.
4. Manage your family. I had some issues with my girlfriend playing too much and neglecting her - fix that as fast as possible - make a scedule and stick to it.
5. Don't forget to sleep, eat and drink .
6. Get rakeback - I didn't and it's hard to get it later.
7. Expect to make small steps - your skill and BR will grow, but it will take time.
8. Read alot and analyse your play - start taking notes and thinking about every hand.
9. Get yourself card-alzheimers, a tin-foil-hat and a tilt-proof jacket - variance is sometimes hard to bear.
10. Take part and contribute here - your game will improve extremely - my kickoff was joining the CCC (Cards-chat-challenge).
I have won dozens of tourneys on various sites during the last year, sadly I lost count on how many altogether. I even got some money directly from CC - my sig-line isn't empty anymore .
I place ITM more regularly and generally get much deeper in MTTs.
I learnt how to play HE, OH,O8, Razz, Stud, Badugi, 2-7 triple draw (though I don't like it).
My total BR on all sites I play at is not 0.53$ anymore but over 300$ altogether.
But I think that my opr-data tells
most of the tale anyway:
V. Plans for the next year:
1. Deposit (think I'm good enough not to blow it out now)
2. Get PT3
3. Get Rakeback
4. Break the 1000$ mark until end of june 2010, 3000$ next year.
5. Work less play more
6. Hold more challenges for other members (was great fun)
7. Become loyaler
As you can see CC has improved my game a lot- this is the place to be if you want to learn how to play and succeed.